SW20 Body kits

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Eddy1612
Guest of the Club.

SW20 Body kits

Post by Eddy1612 »

I have been looking around on the internet about bodykits and such for the mr2.

Im real keen to upgrade my puppies looks but i definitely dont want to steal away from the mr2s original lines.

so, in that case
-Veilside is definitely FAIL (i dont want my car to look like a wanabe spaceship)
-Border is FAIL. I dont want my MR2 to look like every other ricer mr2 out there

this is hot!

So is this
although i dont know what it is.

I kinda like Greddy kits but it seems that is just too expensive!

So does anyone have some helpful pics or advice?

Right now im thinking i will roll with a much larger front lip and some cool side skirts.
1990 MR2 GT
1984 Corona Coupe GT-TR
1983 Celica Supra
1981 Levin TE71
Wrecking two MR2 GTs

-meowmix-
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Northland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Flynn

Post by -meowmix- »

Nice, the second kit looks fairly custom, as I'm pretty sure those are Rx-7 lamps.

'91 SW-20
'04 Hyosung GT 250

yiug412

Post by yiug412 »

I have seen a MR2 with the front lip and a pretty striaght side skirt and pretty low to the groud. i rekon that looks really good if you want to keep the original line.
hope that helps :D

muss
Guest of the Club.

Post by muss »

I think the second pic has Toms side skirts.
These guys make replicas and sometimes sell them on Trademe.
www.lightningmotorsport.co.nz

I'm not sure what that front bumper is though, but I like it. It has Lamborghini looks :D

What are the side skirts on the first pic?

Eddy1612
Guest of the Club.

Post by Eddy1612 »

muss wrote:I think the second pic has Toms side skirts.
These guys make replicas and sometimes sell them on Trademe.
www.lightningmotorsport.co.nz

I'm not sure what that front bumper is though, but I like it. It has Lamborghini looks :D
thanks, thats a good site to know.

I think i might roll with Tom's sides and back but i dont quite feel the front bumper is perfect for me.

Does anyone know if the kits from lighning motorsport are not too bad for fitting?
1990 MR2 GT
1984 Corona Coupe GT-TR
1983 Celica Supra
1981 Levin TE71
Wrecking two MR2 GTs

Russki
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Tat

Post by Russki »

Got kit from lightning ms- good guys, they are nice to deal with. We've got bumper front and 2 skirts for $500 incl shipping, pretty good deal. Fiberglass, very light (3 pieces weight only 6 kg altogether), no holes (drill your own as you fit the kit). It's normal and expected for replicas to be finished by owner, hence the cost. And also the fact that every car is different somehow.
Kit is painted plain white, no major ripples or holes but one can see that kit's been initially "bogged" and sanded to get more or less smooth surface. Definitely workable .. haven't tried to fit it on yet (friend borrows car) but will try this weekend.
I just wonder if that polystyrene filler in front bumper will fit new kit bumper? who's got kit- what did you do with that filler?
“Life, if well lived, is long enough.” Seneca

muss
Guest of the Club.

Post by muss »

Russki wrote:I just wonder if that polystyrene filler in front bumper will fit new kit bumper? who's got kit- what did you do with that filler?
I don't know how dodge this would be but could you use some cans of expanding foam if the stock polystyrene doesn't fit?

MarkT
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Mark

Post by MarkT »

Good to know about Lightning - Thanks for the link Muss and if you're happy Russki, I'm happy :)

Just bought a Border bumper on a whim, so it would be rude not to get a few other bits wouldn't it? Seriously liking the look of the Toms side kit and rear bumper, but not sure it'll go with a Border front bumper. Maybe front and rear Border bumper and Toms side skirts... or what about - oh I dunno :roll:

Russki
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Tat

Post by Russki »

who knows.... stock filler is actually there for reason- it absorbs minor bumps and prevent plastic go straight to the chassis rail during crash.
would foam do the same? i kinda doubt that - it might just fill the space...
perhaps (in a trouble of fitting stock one ) i will just custom cut new one or modify old one in some sort of way...
“Life, if well lived, is long enough.” Seneca

veilside2
Guest of the Club.

Post by veilside2 »

I got my veilside kit from areotech in chch http://www.aerotech.co.nz came with all the holes in the correct places studs in the same places as the factory kit, fitted perfectly reqired no finishing at all bought it 3 1/2 years ago, was 1750 inc shipping not cheap. sold it for 1300 to a guy in lower hutt with the promise it'd fit first time or i'd take it back never heard from him again.
Previous 1098 mini clubman black UK
Audi TT silver (1 week) UK
1275gt mini clubman BR green UK
850 mk1 mini old english white black roof UK
1098 mini clubman (b16a powered) black UK
sw20 auto white NZ
sw20 n/a crimson (rebuilding) NZ
u12 sss bluebird white (daily drive) NZ

Current legs

kaityre
Guest of the Club.

Post by kaityre »

i have veilside side skirts and rear bumper with a border front bumper. i think the veilside ones add to the curves of the car nicely

however the TRD kits are pretty straight

kim0663
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Joon

Post by kim0663 »

Russki wrote:who knows.... stock filler is actually there for reason- it absorbs minor bumps and prevent plastic go straight to the chassis rail during crash.
perhaps (in a trouble of fitting stock one ) i will just custom cut new one or modify old one in some sort of way...
You don't need one and it's a waste of time making one (foam, poly whatever) up for it.

Stock bumper skin is like really soft and doesn't retain it's shape properly and you can't even push on it. FRP however, will retain it's shape and if you bump into something, it's not as forgiving as the stock bumper it's just going to crack; whether theres foam behind it or not
You Joon Kim
1992 Mr2 GT-S

frankv
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Frank

Post by frankv »

kim0663 wrote:
Russki wrote:who knows.... stock filler is actually there for reason- it absorbs minor bumps and prevent plastic go straight to the chassis rail during crash.
You don't need one and it's a waste of time making one (foam, poly whatever) up for it.

Stock bumper skin is like really soft and doesn't retain it's shape properly and you can't even push on it. FRP however, will retain it's shape and if you bump into something, it's not as forgiving as the stock bumper it's just going to crack; whether theres foam behind it or not
According to the inside of the stock bumper, it *is* FRP (but apparently some different kind of FRP from epoxy or polyester resin and glass cloth).

I think the main point of the polystyrene foam is that it might save a pedestrian's legs. Without the foam, the FRP bumper will rapidly deform and the legs will come into more-or-less direct contact with the bumper iron. Add a polystyrene foam block, and it will spread the force over a wider area. This might also save your car from structural damage in a relatively low-energy collision.

The polystyrene may also act as a stiffener, stopping your bumper from sagging when it gets warm, a potential problem for both stock-bumper-type FRP and fibreglass.

I'd guess that polyurethane foam from a can would do more or or less the same as polystyrene. But I think it would be somewhat heavier. It might also absorb water, which could make it a lot heavier. (But perhaps stealthy by absorbing microwaves ??? ).

There must be somewhere where you can buy blocks of polystyrene to carve into the right shape.
Frank van der Hulst

Eddy1612
Guest of the Club.

Post by Eddy1612 »

Russki wrote:
There must be somewhere where you can buy blocks of polystyrene to carve into the right shape.
im sure you can find some polystyrene somewhere to use
1990 MR2 GT
1984 Corona Coupe GT-TR
1983 Celica Supra
1981 Levin TE71
Wrecking two MR2 GTs

Chaoticmind
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Nelson
First name: Drake

Re: SW20 Body kits

Post by Chaoticmind »

Hey guys does anyone know anywhere that still makes or sells body kits anymore? Apparently lightning automotive no longer makes them😔 im trying to find somewhere in nz to get a boarder kit for a sw20 from..