Redline MT90

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
iOnic
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Post by iOnic »

My gearbox is in better condition than most and I noticed the difference between Syntrax and Redline like night and day....to a point where I thought something was actually wrong with my gearbox
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE
Corolla - 4AGE Redtop Smallport

born disturbed
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Jared

Post by born disturbed »

Tronic wrote:Oh yes sorry a big typo it is Hillside, can you remember the name of the place ?
Not with my holiday memory sorry, but I am back to work on monday & will take a stroll round the corner & find the place, will post up on monday 8)
Twisty road fiend

88 AW11 G-limited mountain groover
85 NZ new AW11 future race project :)
2007 Suzuki SV1000S torque monster!

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

Ok drove past it today and went inside for a price on the Redline MT 75W/90.

The place is BNT or Brake & Transmission NZ Ltd, they have outlets all over the place.

Price ? $42.30 for a 1.1US quart which is not even a litre so your going to need 4 of these. Personally I cannot justify it at this price I don't care how good anyone says it is when Syntrax is $28 a litre and provides an outstanding light shifting action. The other option I would try is Mobil as they also produce a Fully Synthetic 75W/90 in a 4 litre pack for $120.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/ ... 75W-90.asp
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

Tronic
Guest of the Club.

Post by Tronic »

Ok after thinking about this a bit more perhaps the sensible thing to do would to be to buy the cheaper Syntrax and use it as both a flush to replace the existing unknown oil and get onto a synthetic, run this for a while and either keep running with it or if your still not happy try Redline.

I say a flush because if the oil has not been changed for a while then its going to be laden with fine metal particals and you cannot get all the old oil out of the gearbox on a single change anyway so going straight to Redline could be seen as a bit of a waste of money.
Carl
Electronics Technician.

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

sorry but do you guys ever even read reviews about motor and gear box oils?

do you compare?

red line is ok, but there are better.

Rabid
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Gary

Post by Rabid »

mr.peal wrote:sorry but do you guys ever even read reviews about motor and gear box oils?

do you compare?

Can you post a link to an independent test?
Gary Whitehead

90 TTop Turbo,
89 Hard top S/C, 87 TTop S/C

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Can anyone give me a name and number for a supplier of the Redline MT90? I would like to change over my oil this month and try using this product. Possibly with the amount of interest in this we could organise a bulk buy? I would do but being on the Southern end on the country freight would be cost prohibitive to most users.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Tronic
Guest of the Club.

Post by Tronic »

mr.peal wrote:sorry but do you guys ever even read reviews about motor and gear box oils?

do you compare?

I did quite a bit of Google on Syntrax vs Redline for example but really couldn't find anything useful other than more Forums discussing it with the same opions expressed as on this Forum.

If you have any links then I would love to read them. Pretty much all I can find are data sheets which are really not that usefull as a comparison.

So what comes out better than Redline ?
Carl
Electronics Technician.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Not sure but it seems to be the oil of choice in the US for MR's. I have run Syntrax for the last couple of years and 2nd is getting a bit crunchy once again. Thought it might be good to try another oil and compare before it gets any worse. Don't really want to rebuild my gen 1 box and if MT90 helps a bit I'll be happy.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Tronic
Guest of the Club.

Post by Tronic »

Benckj wrote:
Not sure but it seems to be the oil of choice in the US for MR's. I have run Syntrax for the last couple of years and 2nd is getting a bit crunchy once again. Thought it might be good to try another oil and compare before it gets any worse. Don't really want to rebuild my gen 1 box and if MT90 helps a bit I'll be happy.
I would be very interested in your results, especially as you have been running Syntrax for a while. I tend to find 2nd a bit "Notchy" rather than "Crunchy" Let us know if its really worth the change.

Keep us posted.
Carl
Electronics Technician.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Article I had on gear oils. Seems the Castrol and MT90 score very close. Amsoil appears to be the oil with best results overall.

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Gear% ... 0Paper.pdf
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Pretty sure MT 90 is 75w90 weight. The Castrol Syntrax name is also named somthing different but assume its the oil. Still keen to try the MT90 if anyone can tell me where to get.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I found some MT90 at Japanese Race Supplies in Chch for $34/quart delivered. Seems 75w90 is different than MT90 as first one is for GL5 and MT90 for GL4 rating. Think I'll order some up now and try and change this weekend before a run to Naseby.

edit- ordered already. Price did not include $10 for delivery. Works out at $38/quart each. Let you know how I go once I install.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

soven
Guest of the Club.

Post by soven »

BNT sells MT90. I am using it in my aw11. It was around $25
Last edited by soven on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Supercharged AW11

Tronic
Guest of the Club.

Post by Tronic »

Benckj wrote:Article I had on gear oils. Seems the Castrol and MT90 score very close. Amsoil appears to be the oil with best results overall.

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Gear% ... 0Paper.pdf
Thats waaaaaayyyy better than anything I could find. Bearing in mind they excluded the visual test in the final results the Castrol was slightly ahead of the Redline but really nothing in it so no surprises there.

The Mobil 1 came out better than both and the best was the Amsoil by a mile so this would be the best option to experiment with, if anyone in NZ sells it. I will most likely try the Mobil next time, its the same price as the Castrol.
Carl
Electronics Technician.