Redline MT90

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
iOnic
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Post by iOnic »

No fluid should only last 5000km's before it loses it's lubricating properties......even engine oil will do it's job for close to 15,000km's on the average car.
If you're getting a notchy feeling after only 5000km's on new fluid, there's something wrong with the gearbox and the thicker oils are just disguising it ;)

My partner's gearbox in her daily driver/weekend track car is still on it's first lot of MT90 since the gearbox was built almost 2 years ago and it still feels like the day it was built. Likewise for my gearbox which was rebuilt close to 3 years ago (done about 30,000km's in that time). Not saying Redline is better than everything/anything but in my experience, it does it's job well and I wouldn't try anything else
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE
Corolla - 4AGE Redtop Smallport

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

Benckj wrote:I would have gone the Amsol way if I would have know where to get it. Did a search and the NZ connection came up blank. Already have the MT90 and will give that a go this weekend. Can 'Russki' or 'mr.peal' post up some recommended products and prices here for reference?

I'm sure thare are a number of us that would like to try.
ya we can do that, Iwill get russki to put something up.

as far as putting people in touch with someone to get it, best you just talk to us, since we get the discount for using it on 3 cars plus any other friends who want it, we can give you the name of the guy but you wont get the discount we do, and again, WE DONT MAKE MONEY on this.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

That would be good to have. Maybe if you are doing just for the Club with no profit I can put into a sticky for us to reference and you can sell it as a descretionary level. That way you are not committed to price and members have to PM you to order. Just a thought.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

Amsoil New Zealand conenction......

http://www.syntheticoil.co.nz/

They are in Christchurch but it looks like they do the whole range if someone down that way wants to check out the options for the Forum.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

Russki
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Tat

Post by Russki »

Just got reply from amsoil dealer with prices on common products for MR2.
Unfortunately I can see an increase in prices compared to what I paid about 5 months ago.
for example a quart of Long Life 75W-90 gear oil costs $37.50 Six months ago it was $27.75. For those who has LSD use an additive SlipLock $21 a bottle (you need only one).
Motor oil 5L of 10W-30 high performance $142
or Signature series 0W-30 $202.50 (thin oil, good for relatively new cars with low mileage- this is good for 55000 kms)
for high mileage use 20W-50 oil, price will be the same as 10W-30 grade.

power steering fluid $26 per bottle, you will need 2 bottles.
I didn't ask for brake fluid as I use different brand ATE super blue racing (costs something around $85...little posh, I know...)
but Amsoil produces brake fluid as well however I didn't try it.

Coolant Propylene Glycol Amsoil 4L bottle concentrate was something around $65, you need 1 bottle. Last 7 years.

so yeah, not cheap but I look at it from different perspective. I don't drain oil every 6 months, I do it every year or even longer. Gear oil - every 2-3 years ( usually 3) and never had any problem with gears.

The dealer's name is not a secret: Wayne Hill Cars, in ChCh.
“Life, if well lived, is long enough.” Seneca

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Post Report.

Dropped out the Syntrax and installed the Redline MT90. Definite improvement with shifting straight away. Have not had a chance to drive on road much but expect it to be better than the Castrol product. Will see how it preforms next trip away (soon).

Used the leftover Syntrax for my 69 series 2 Landy. The ol' girl didn't know what hit her and she is a smooth as a Landy can be. Perfect for training the kids to operate a manual before I let them drive the MR2.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

HatTr1ckk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Alun

Re: Redline MT90

Post by HatTr1ckk »

One of the crew posted that they have had a neodymium magnet made up to go on their drain plug. Some rare earth magnets degrade at temperatures over 55 degrees C. This was a limitation we had to be aware of when pigging oil and gas pipelines. The context was gearbox drain plugs and I am not sure what temp MR2 gearboxes get up to but it is worth considering or at least checking.