Redline MT90

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
iOnic
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Post by iOnic »

soven wrote:BNT sells MT90. I am using it in my aw11. It was around $25
Yep that's about how much I pay for it from BNT. I use the lightweight shockproof gear oil.
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE
Corolla - 4AGE Redtop Smallport

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Never thought about BNT. Even have a branch in Q'twn which is close by. Their website is hopeless and no mention of products such as this. May have to give them a ring next time I'm in for some parts.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

muss
Guest of the Club.

Post by muss »

I use Redline heavyweight shockproof. Was advised to use it due to TRD LSD.
It looks just like that pink goo from Ghostbusters 2.

I've been told that I need to add a friction modifier to it, but Redline don't make one or recommend one. There is a tube of Nulon G70 friction modifier at SCA for $18, but I'm worried that if I do it wrong I'll waste all that pricey oil.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Like you I hate playing Chemist with these different products. Should be OK to do but there is always the chance that they will not work together like they should. Engine oil additives are much the same.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

iOnic
Guest of the Club.

Post by iOnic »

muss wrote:I use Redline heavyweight shockproof. Was advised to use it due to TRD LSD.
Hmm that's strange....I was told to ues lightweight shockproof with no friction modifiers haha...same LSD but aftermarket gearsets
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE

kim0663
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Joon

Post by kim0663 »

hows the extended oil life on amsoil? mt90 oil service life = 5000km. end of story. Tried multiple times with different cars too...

Too expensive for the sort of life it gets.
You Joon Kim
1992 Mr2 GT-S

iOnic
Guest of the Club.

Post by iOnic »

5000km's? :shock:
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

you guys, there is not a test anywhere that I have seen, that amsoil is beat. anywhere!

google is you friend, I know this sounds like a promotion but you find something and you stick with it, if red line is your choice go for it

but in every independent test we have ever found amsoil beats everyone. thats why WE have chosen it and will stick to it

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

this is what we use, if you have high mileage you want to be using something like 20/50

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf

here is what we use.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aro.aspx

long life gear oil we use

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/

soven
Guest of the Club.

Post by soven »

kim0663 wrote:hows the extended oil life on amsoil? mt90 oil service life = 5000km. end of story. Tried multiple times with different cars too...

5k??? First I am hearing this and I have not heard any other similar accounts. Any extra info to back up that claim?
1987 Supercharged AW11

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

if you want to try amsoil you can pm me or russki, we get 40% off retail and make NO money from it, its not the point, we get it to you for what we pay

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

some more brain food

http://saveonlubes.com/eaa.htm

Russki
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Tat

Post by Russki »

Talking about service life: Amsoil oil , lets say normal 10W-30 oil, drain interval 25,000 miles or one year which ever comes first. Kinda bit better than 5,000 km...
for me- interval is 1 year. I do about 15-17k kms in one year.
racing oil, like dominator (or series 2000) requires shorter interval but that is expected- it's for racing!

long life 75W-90 gear oil- drain at 100,000 miles. I do it in my car every 2-3 years however no way i do that mileage in 2 or even 3 years!!!
for LSD just add the additive from you guess it- Amsoil- called SlipLock. But it think LL 75w-90 of them is compatible with LSD anyway. Additive is not that expensive.

well almost all fluids (and air filter... and oil filter!), coolant as well in my car are Amsoil brand. I found it 5 years ago, liked it and stick with it. Only brake fluid and petrol are actually from other source! lol
Running 3 cars on it- sure i have discount (thanks to good relationship with a dealer) but by all means Amsoil isn't cheap.
But you will get what have you paid for!
“Life, if well lived, is long enough.” Seneca

soven
Guest of the Club.

Post by soven »

Russki wrote:Kinda bit better than 5,000 km...
5,000km for any gearbox oil(not only MT90 which is used widely with success) is a pretty ridiculous claim regardless of how awesome Amsoil is.
1987 Supercharged AW11

kim0663
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Joon

Post by kim0663 »

soven wrote:
kim0663 wrote:hows the extended oil life on amsoil? mt90 oil service life = 5000km. end of story. Tried multiple times with different cars too...

5k??? First I am hearing this and I have not heard any other similar accounts. Any extra info to back up that claim?
Nope i have no back up other than my personal experiences with it. i used Redline MT-90 for the past 3 years for my gearbox. after 5000kms, i hate the knotchy feeling that i get.

Recently, i tried it on a bzr gearbox thats bloody mint. it's just past 5000kms and gearchanges feel worse than before the oil change.

I don't exactly care what others say. i don't like it anymore, i just want to know where to find amsoil so i can try :P can you direct me to someone russki?
You Joon Kim
1992 Mr2 GT-S

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I would have gone the Amsol way if I would have know where to get it. Did a search and the NZ connection came up blank. Already have the MT90 and will give that a go this weekend. Can 'Russki' or 'mr.peal' post up some recommended products and prices here for reference?

I'm sure thare are a number of us that would like to try.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car