The rewards of dreaming

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Monkey Boy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Marlborough
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Tristan

The rewards of dreaming

Post by Monkey Boy »

When i first brought my mr2 nearly 3 years ago the idea was to just use it as a runner and not do any work or modifying to it at all, not wanting to spend any money on it.

From day 1 that never happened!!

First was the pod filter, gear knob and other cheap changes that kids make to there cars.

But after a few months i wanted to start making bigger changes to the car, First up the mags.

The first brand new set of mags i ever brought (17x7 all round no stagered offset), So proud of my self, though it took me a bit of time to get tyres on them. They are no longer on the car now though i upgraded to biger and better, though the story of these mags isnt over...

Next the body kit...

Now i know no one likes Veilside any more but atleast give this one a chance, you never know this might be the one that changes your mind :wink:

Once i had the kit on the car it stayed in this questionable unpainted condition for quite some time.

Never the less life went on and the earth didnt stop spinning, then one day an oppertinity arose for me to get my hands on some Drifteck 17x8 17x9 rims. So off with the old and on with the new and dont they look the part!

So naturaly my old 17s went up for sale, the easyest way to do so was chain one up to my fornt gate with for sale on them. One day the inlaws (Sue & Steve) decide to stop by with there Subaru thing... they spot my old mags sit them up against the car and decide they like them and take them home saying they will pay in a few days.
Some of you will remember my post of "Who the F### introduced possums". The front kit was pretty buggered though thankfuly Steve is very good at fibre glassing so he takes on the challenge.
Once he has almost finished making the bumper look complete again he comes to me with a propersition, "You give me the mags and i will paint your car, including the paint". Honestly who could say no.

So i helped him prep the car, we took it down to his old work to borrow the booth and the reasult follows.

The Colour

Kachowwww

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Nice story and pictorial to go with it. We have all fallen into the same trap in one way or another. Looks like you made some decent improvements along the way.

I always liked the 'yellow' look. Even though I'm not much of a veilside fan it suits the car and you have done a good job at fitting. You must be very proud.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Boosted
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Craig

Post by Boosted »

Damn, that looks cool, but still dont like Veilside :D

I love bright colours like that. If i could, id paint my MR2 bright orange :lol:
Current: BCNR33 Skyline GTR

iOnic
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Chris

Post by iOnic »

Boosted wrote:Damn, that looks cool, but still dont like Veilside :D

I love bright colours like that. If i could, id paint my MR2 bright orange :lol:
Give me your mags and I'll paint your car :lol:

Car looks good dude. Not a fan of Veilside but as long as you're happy that's the main thing :) Good to see a car transform from stock to what it is now too - good work :D
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE
Corolla - 4AGE Redtop Smallport

Marsh
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Marshall

Post by Marsh »

Look real good Love the bright yellow

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

(SOME) people dont like veilside...because it was 1 of only a couple of bodykits available a few years back, which is why so many mr2s ended up with them. Its like music, everyone likes it one week, and then some people change their mind, not because of the product but just for the fact there are too many people liking it, so they change. f.y.i. Veilside kits are pretty sort after in the U.S cause theyre hard to get.
If you like it, do it, and that goes with any mod, not just bodykits.
I think someone/you, has done a really good job fitting the kit and the yellow certainly stands out.
Look forward to seeing what else you do.

Munkie
Guest of the Club.

Post by Munkie »

i like the vielside kit and your tail lights set the car off, good job! :)
anyone can race a fast car but only some people can race a car fast

MR2BOY23
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Zahid

Post by MR2BOY23 »

.. Wheels look good :thumbsup:
1992 MR2 GTS Aka MR2SLO (CT20B)

NiftyNick
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Nick

Post by NiftyNick »

Congradulations! Looks Awesome
Nick Warnes
84 AW N/A
91 SW N/A
GenIII 96 SW N/A

M TRY 2
Guest of the Club.

Post by M TRY 2 »

I want your wheels!
Tony.
1987 MR2 Manual N/A Targa Top.
1991 Soarer v8 Sunroof.

Monkey Boy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Marlborough
First name: Tristan

Post by Monkey Boy »

FYI - it's not yellow, it's orange mango 8)

At night time it turns more yellow.

The tail lights i got for $300 from U.S. decided not to put standard lights back in as they were old and huckery.

paulusb
Guest of the Club.

Post by paulusb »

i want ur wheels nice car!
Byron Paulus
97 gen IIII n/a (sold)
88 aw11 1600 (sold)

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

Thats a mint paint job.In this case i think you have done the veil side justice.

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

heylin wrote:Only suggestion I could offer is painting the mesh inserts gloss black, besides that great job and like the wheels 2.
And paint the wheel wells black too.

You've done a great job though.
Jonathan.
1996 GLimited

NiftyNick
Guest of the Club.
First name: Nick

Post by NiftyNick »

Im looking t doing something similar in the future with the Boarder body kit instead. Paint looks very professionally and was wondering if u might divulge wat it set u bak.

Sorry to be nosey.
Nick Warnes
84 AW N/A
91 SW N/A
GenIII 96 SW N/A