Heater pipes

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
triplefire
Guest of the Club.

Heater pipes

Post by triplefire »

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I just welded up the broken tab on the bracket when I had a problem with my 91. Didn't even have to drop the pipe.

Can't see why the replacement with the rubber hose won't work. Should be the easiest/cheapest solution as long as you can clamp the hose off well enough and secure underneath. Go for it.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

triplefire
Guest of the Club.

Post by triplefire »

Do you know the size of rubber pipe to buy? Also what type? Silicone or just rubber. What clips would be best for this job?

Cheers

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

Rubber hose on there has an OD of 30.5mm so I'm picking that the pipe is 25mm, so the tube is 25mm ID. Clips need to cover the 30mm hose.

A good quality heater hose by the likes of Gates or Goodyear will most likley outlast the car if carefully routed.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

triplefire
Guest of the Club.

Post by triplefire »

by the sounds of it, I should by 30.5 mm rubber pipes from goodyear. and good clips that covers the 30mm hose. How many meters should I buy?? there are, I am guessing 3 meters, since there are two heater pipes.

triplefire
Guest of the Club.

Re: Heater pipes

Post by triplefire »

All fixed. Thanks for the help ..

Wild Weasel
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Blair

Post by Wild Weasel »

We have 3 SW20's, The first SW has had the pipes replaced with rubber heater hose which as far as I can see negates the problem occuring again.

The second SW has had the heater pipes replaced with new ones. Rangiora Toyota helped out there particularly with the price of the pipes. When I purchased them the cost price from Toyota was $1200 for one and $700 for the other. Because I was a member of the MR2 club I got both pipes for around $500.

The third SW has had the problem recently occur and I was thinking because the pipe is copper of getting the pipe brazed. The fracture of the pipe is in the same old place, on the last join where the heater pipe has the tab coming off to bolt to the car.

Basically its up to you, and how much money you have got :D
Blair Lawson
Joined Club Dec 2004

Hbmr2
Guest of the Club.

Post by Hbmr2 »

Ive got a spare set of heater hoses if anyone is interested

ARCZEN
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Andrew

Post by ARCZEN »

I don't suppose you still have those pipes do you?
Andrew K
Home Base: Hamilton
1993 MR2 G, NA (Blue Metallic) [Daily]
aka 美空 MIKU

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

That was a wee while ago. I think you can still get one pipe through Toyota but they are still very expensive. I will just be doing the cut and apply rubber hose technique when I pull the fuel tank.

I was going to try and find a crox tool to flare the ends properly but it sounds like people don't even bother doing that and it works fine.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

...I will just be doing the cut and apply rubber hose technique when I pull the fuel tank.
Just so you know the heater pipes don't need to be removed when dropping tank. By disconnecting from brackets they can be pushed out of the way.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

tw2

Post by tw2 »

All good, I will be chucking a walbro in when I can be bothered so just made sense to do it at the same time.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I put a Walbro in as well. Wrapped it with some rubber to isolate & sound proof so noise didn't come into cab. Can still be a little 'whinny' when tank is under 1/8 full tho.
Note that the pump is smaller than OEM but pumps a higher flow & pressure. It won't be a direct fit into the bracket so be prepared to slightly modify a few things (cabling, isolator, outlet hose, etc).
Attachments
IMG_1382.JPG
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

tw2

Post by tw2 »

That's awesome, thank you. I got it from prime driven with a fitment kit so hopefully has everything. I also ordered a new oem fuel hanger from Toyota so I can sort it out before even dropping the tank. What sort of rubber did you use? I guess they call them whinebro for a reason.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Even with the kit it takes a little work to install in bracket. Not a big deal especially if you are using spare part.

On the wrap around dampener I used some 5mm insertion rubber I had at work. To be sure fuel didn’t degrade it let sit in a test tray of it overnight. Walbro sell a foam sock to do same.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car