What to Do with your New SW20-STICKY?

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
scarylilrambo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Anna

Re: What to Do with your New SW20-STICKY?

Post by scarylilrambo »

Wow - Just read all of the this! That's a great help to me! Thanks :)

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Glad it helped you.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

madaboutv8s427
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: James

Post by madaboutv8s427 »

Benckj wrote:We all have our pet hates with car problems and will pick on the one which caught us out. I liked the article because it gave new owners something to think about before they splashed out on new wheels and head deck. While changing some suspension bushes or ball joints is not the most exciting mod it may be the most practicle. I posted the thread for a disscussion point on something we could assemble or add to and place as a stcicky so new owners have a good starting point.
thanks mate i will be doing those thimg it will b my list to work on what do u think is most important to do

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Really depends on the car and how well or lack of maintenance done. If you address the common most important problems I'd say brakes and suspension first. Re-build rear cylinders and flush new fluid through. Get rotors tuirned and install decent pads. Suspension is checking all components for wear and then replacing bushes. Then comes trans and motor fluids (oil, coolant, etc).
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

So much work in a new car , Just getting it back up to spec maintenance wise .
I really hate buying new cars lololol

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Tronic wrote:
Rabid wrote:I recommend that any SW that has done over 160k has the big end bearings changed, no one worries about these till she starts rattling and by then its all over rover.
This is based on tearing down a number of 3s engines.
I would agree, but only for your "Typical MR2" and by that I mean typically piss poor maintained running shit oil with infrequent changes and forgetting to top it up so it suffers from oil starvation to boot. I will be gutted if mine doesn't see twice that milage. It has been impecibly maintained since 64,000km and fed the best oil always at the full mark, but time will tell.
Big end bearings? :?:

I definitely think my suspension and brakes are a priority, 20+ year old parts in there. Ride is very stiff IMO, I think I went over some cobble-stone street in town last night around Atrium On Elliot/High Street area and was holding onto the steering wheel for dear life :D not that it bothers me but want to keep it well maintained. But then again, I've only ever driven cars with gentle suspension set ups. :)

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

MR2's are supposed to have stiffer suspension than normal cars. Generally putting new suspension parts in will make it a bit stiffer too.

Doing brakes is a good idea, if you know what your doing you can do them yourself. Otherwise get a shop to do them or a club member that's done them before.

When it comes to engine internals, it's better to drive it until it breaks, then fix it. Think of it this way, if the engine is still running (ie not broken) and you did big-end bearings, and 10,000km later you spin a main bearing, it's a waste of money because you have to take more of the engine apart to fix it, and that money could have gone into an engine rebuild or an engine swap instead.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car