Opening boot without key and cable

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
TVIS
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: .

Opening boot without key and cable

Post by TVIS »

Hey team, as per title, brain explosion thanks to a mate who's either ripped or unseated the boot release cable. And the key wont turn the lock. So any way I can open/remove my boot without breaking/cutting it open? Starting to get real pissed off now cos I cant see a way. educate me please :D

98beamsmkII
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Ken

Re: Opening boot without key and cable

Post by 98beamsmkII »

Of the two MR2's I have had so far neither of them will open with the key unless I spend a few good minutes jiggling the key - A common problem maybe? Also note if you turn the key counter clockwise it puts it into vallet mode to keep those pesky scoundrels out of there - the cable will not work.
Ken

TVIS
Guest of the Club.

Post by TVIS »

Tried jiggling the key but any particular direction that will do it? :lol: Sounds really wrong. And I dunno if its common, I don't have this problem on my NA, just the turbo :cry:

98beamsmkII
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by 98beamsmkII »

TVIS wrote:Tried jiggling the key but any particular direction that will do it? :lol: Sounds really wrong. And I dunno if its common, I don't have this problem on my NA, just the turbo :cry:
no sorry i haven't noticed.
Ken

Saut de Chat
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Anthony

Post by Saut de Chat »

Had this problem when I first bought my '2.
Turns out the seller only gave me the valet key.
With an excessive amount of giggling You can eventually get it to (un)lock, but the best thing to do is head into a locksmith and get a proper key made up. ^^

TVIS
Guest of the Club.

Post by TVIS »

Lol cant even head into locksmith car doesn't start. Or do you mean get another key cut from my current one?

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cut the pins out of your hinges. If it's anything like the AW11 you can access the hinges with the engine lid open and the side panels removed. You may even be able to unbolt it to avoid having to buy new hinges, but more likely you'll have to grind the head off one end of the pin and punch it through, or just drive an angle grinder in there and cut the whole hinge in half. You should then be able to get it up enough to manually trigger the boot release or unbolt the catch

98beamsmkII
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by 98beamsmkII »

I've taken a look at mine and Malcolm is right you can get to the hinges that way but you need to remove the engine bays panels (on each side of the engine cover) and sadly the hinges are riveted so you will need to grind them open.
As for the master key, valet key debate both my SW20's have the master keys and are also the factory masters and not copies maybe my keys are worn out?

Anyone know what is behind the rear boot grill? Maybe he can get in that way......
Ken

Rabid
Guest of the Club.
First name: Gary

Post by Rabid »

I have just had a look at mine since everythings been removed from the boot.
It looks too narrow to get a grinder in behind the hinges without doing some sort of damage although a reciprocating saw might do it.

With the Right indicator unit removed and no boot liner you can peer through the electrical grommet hole, see the catch and hook it with a wire, however yours probably has the liner, but its still possible with a thick wire and a lot of patience.

There are no other easy access holes, sorry.
Gary Whitehead

90 TTop Turbo,
89 Hard top S/C, 87 TTop S/C

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Could always just drill out the lock and replace with another one later on. Plenty of parts cars around where you could pick-up a lock for a song. Then you might have one which actually has a key that works!
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tazlvr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Paul

Post by tazlvr »

I would call a locksmith first and talk to them. See what they suggest and leave the breaking stuff as your last resort. Most locksmiths have been trained in picking locks.
Paul Leveridge
91 MR2 T top Manual. Brought 6/11/13 needs new motor :(

Murfae86
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Brendan

Post by Murfae86 »

I managed to open the boot using a scope inspection camera and a wire coat hanger, I entered from the engine bay side of the boot, between the boot seal. Locate the latch using the camera and then navigate with the coat hanger wire to grip the latch wire and pull to release the boot open. No damage done and opened in minutes