Tire Sizes

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
KWAFA
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Brandon

Re: Tire Sizes

Post by KWAFA »

GDII wrote:If you just got them put on they should all be the same. You should get a wheel alignment with new tyres. Did the tyre shop say it was pulling left? They usually tell me if something isn't quite right before they hand it back.
Didn't get a wheel alignment, but will do this weekend. (Ran out of time.)
flying_wedge wrote:They are a good tyre.
Did you get a wheel alignment at the same time?
New tyres do take a few k's to bed in too, can be a bit greasy and slippery until then. Check your pressures and go from there.
Are those sizes the same as factory? Changing the sizes will make it handle different if they are different to what you had on there before too.
They are not exactly the same... factory was 185x55x15 in front, now have 195x50x15. Rear was 215x45x16 now 205x45x16. I had no other choice in terms of sizes... I could have gone for 225x45 in rear, but only had the T1R and KU37 to choose from, and I think the RE-002 is a better tyre. (Reading Reviews)

Those sizes still maintain rolling diameter etc. although stagger is decreased.

I can return them after a week if I am not happy with them.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

205/50R16 would have been an option as well. Huge range of tyres for that size at good prices.
1992 G Limited

KWAFA
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by KWAFA »

Amazed at how sensitive these cars are to tyre pressures!

OEM specs are 28psi front and 32psi rear... Front was 38psi and rear was 40psi! :shock:

Adjusted the pressure, and it has made a huge difference. Car still seems to pull to the left under acceleration a little, but I am guessing an alignment will sort this.

Any of you know of a good alignment shop on the Shore or Manukau?

KWAFA
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by KWAFA »

Just an update on the tyres...

Had an alignment done, and it still pulled to the left. Got the tyre shop to swap the tyres, and problem solved. Funny that.

However, since changing the front tyres to a 195x50x15, the steering is super sensitive! The slightest of touches of the steering wheel, and the car turns. Good thing I guess!

As for the tyres itself (RE002), they seem to be great. Just waiting for another one of Charlies runs to properly test them! 8)

Reuban
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Reuban

Post by Reuban »

where'd you get your tyres? if you dont mind me asking

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I don't think you'll be disappointed with those tyres Brandon. Real good in the wet as well. I don't think you'll find the change of width (from standard) a problem either, the widths you're running now are the same as my blue AW.

You can always fit a wing on the back... :twisted:

You're right too, being a mid-engined sports car designed to corner very responsively the MR2 is rather sensitive to tyre pressures. Perhaps the more nimble AW and MRS moreso than the somewhat heavier SW...?

Next Akl run is likely to be the mission to the Coromandel, though I might do a shorter one too for them on tighter budgets. Maybe Piha?

Reub, rock in to Firestone Greenlane mate it's only a quick zip down the motorway. Those fellas are great eh. :D
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

KWAFA
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by KWAFA »

Reuban wrote:where'd you get your tyres? if you dont mind me asking
Reuban, I got them at Hyper... it was $750 all up.
mickeyduck wrote: Next Akl run is likely to be the mission to the Coromandel, though I might do a shorter one too for them on tighter budgets. Maybe Piha?

:D
A run to Piha would be epic. Love the roads down there.

Mcdeviant
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Carface

Post by Mcdeviant »

Has anyone tried the Toyo Proxes TR1s?

I have Proxes 4 215/50/15 on the back, putting Proxes TR1 195/50/15 on the front.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

I have T1R's on the back of mine, they are a pretty good tire. Then again, I haven't tried any other high performance street tire.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

I found both Toyo T1R and Kumho KU31 being a good street-performance tyre in that price range. The Kumho being the better tyre in the wet. These facts are based purely on my own opinion and experience from my own cars.
They both overheat after a few hard laps at a track.
I've never had Bridgestone RE-anything so can't compare, although the Bridgestones are pricier than either of the tyres above.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I've been running Toyo T1Rs on the street for about 5 years. I find them to be great all weather tires once there is a small amount of heat in them. They feel a bit squirmy for the first 1000km or so but after that they are great. When they have decent tread depth they deal with standing water well.

The only downside (this is a matter of opinion though) is the sizes I have 205/55R15 and 225/50R15 have soft sidewalls so the steering response is not as quick when the pressures are set to what would be considered normal. I go for 36psi all round and that works well. The upside of the softness is ride comfort.

As for wear rates, I was getting 18,000km for the rears and 36,000km for the fronts. Pretty much standard 1990 G-Limited.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Mcdeviant
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Carface

Post by Mcdeviant »

I put Toyo Proxis 4 tyres on the back a couple of years back (3?), and just added TR1s to the front. I forget the sizes.

The rears were very slippery when I put my foot down, and still are with the toyos. The fronts used to squeal if I threw the wheel hard, and I got a little slip in the wet, bordering on loss of control a few times hence the change. I haven't pushed them yet since they're still new. Waited for summer, since I figured winter driving in bad tyres that I know how to handle is probably better than false confidence in slippery new tyres I don't know.

The rear slipperiness might just be how MR-S's run, I guess. I've only driven one. Can anyone confirm, if you accelerate fast from a stopped start, do your rears slip and spin on the road?
I'm assuming we all get the mad spins doing this on wet surfaces. So.. much.. fun.... :shock: :D :twisted: