How to Restore Convertible Top colour?

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
goufcustom
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Ranba

How to Restore Convertible Top colour?

Post by goufcustom »

Hello Guys,

Ok I got soft top, black, faded badly.

It needs restoration.

But problem of NZ is so hard to find products those we could see fromYOUTUBE or AMAZON.

What products and where can I get them?

Has anyone tried to restore colour of soft top?

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Brae

Re: How to Restore Convertible Top colour?

Post by Mr Shiny »

One thing you could try is scrubbing the heck out of with a good all purpose cleaner, but nothing like dishwash! Something that doesn't contain salt or acids. Then you could try something like this & see if any colour can be restored. Otherwise if it's that badly faded then your only options are either get it dyed or replaced. Also if it's that bad then give it a good check over as UV rays can cause the fading, which can also deteriorate the fabric & make it brittle & prone to ripping easily.
“If you think the professionals are expensive, you should see what the amateurs can cost you.”

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

^^as Mr Shiney points out fabric may need some attention if UV damaged. I've had very good success using 'vinyl fabric paint' like Duplex (?) products. Have used on interior car plastic, spa cover and fabric deck chairs. Doesn't last a lifetime but can refurbish bady faded fabric including seal, protect and colour. For the sake of 2 x $15 cans of spray paint it may be worth a shot on your roof.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/how-to/ ... spx?id=114
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ross

Post by Rosscar »

My softop was very faded but came up ok and very cheaply with the application of kiwi liquid shoe polish--one bottle covered it with two coats and still looks good months later for a cost of $5