Engine modifications within NZ

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Re: Engine modifications within NZ

Post by EssDub »

Fixed. :mrgreen:
Moksi wrote:Hi I just want to let you know the swap wasn't that hard, I just done it last year xmas time it take me 1 1/2 week to finish by myself, but it worth it, and I done it at my garage, make sure you have do your check list (parts), and I bought some parts from MWR from USA. Also I use my old 5 speed as well! People from spyderchat said better with 6 speed.
What you need is :
MWR plug and play wiring harness - Waste of money. Learn2repin and you are done :)
MWR driver side engine bridge - Can modify the 1ZZ mount to suit
MWR swap dip stick - Bend the stock one to suit.
2zz swap exhaust head - Use Celica headers - far superior design, even if you have to remake the join to the stock backbox.
Toyota 2zzge ECU better early model without immobilzer - 1999-2001 ideally, then use a TIS Techstream to recode the keys.

This is what you need to do the swap, but at the same time you can change :
New design lift bolts - HELL YES.
Lighten flywheel and new clutch - Fidanza FW is nice.
Thermostat - ??? Coolant system isn't where you should be worried - its the oil cooling that'll get ya...
And have a good clean before install the 2zz in! - HELL YES.
Make sure clean the throttle body and IAC valve! - Carefully :P but HELL YES.
Moksi

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

And Moksi:

To be fair, no stock MR-S gearbox is suited to the 2ZZ. What you want to do is use a 'custom' gearset:

C65 1st gear
C60 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear
C64 5th
then for 6th gear, either the C65 for cruising efficiency, or the C64 if you're using it for track purposes (keeps the revs in the powerband nicely at all times, but is horrible to drive on a freeway)

Drop the stock 4.3:1 LSD from a C5xM/c6xM and you're laughing :D

Moksi
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Joseph

Post by Moksi »

EssDub wrote:And Moksi:

To be fair, no stock MR-S gearbox is suited to the 2ZZ. What you want to do is use a 'custom' gearset:

C65 1st gear
C60 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear
C64 5th
then for 6th gear, either the C65 for cruising efficiency, or the C64 if you're using it for track purposes (keeps the revs in the powerband nicely at all times, but is horrible to drive on a freeway)

Drop the stock 4.3:1 LSD from a C5xM/c6xM and you're laughing :D
Thanks for that I just use it for temporary! Because I need it for daily run, so need it done asap! Will get 6 speed later on! So the stock 5 speed can fit 6 speed gear?