ZZW30 Head removal query/ oil consumption

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Re: ZZW30 Head removal query/ oil consumption

Post by EssDub »

Rosscar wrote:Thanks essdub for that info--if new rings aint gonna cure it Im best to just keep pouring it thru then? The mechanic that suggested ATF had done a gearbox overhaul on a w30 he said the bearings were shot in it ,had got the actual box overhaul at a PN gearbox company who reccomended ATF and a friend of mine who is a retired Ford mech said they used to use ATF in falcon gearboxes to stop them shitting bearings.So I rang the gearbox outfit and they agreed would be ok otherwise i woudnt have changed it.Youtube vids of guys fitting new rings say they cured the oil consumption (but for how long?) It would seem from your post that fitting the later pistons is not worthwhile then.
You're better off fitting a 2ZZ. No joke.

You'd pay just as much to rebuild the motor with different pistons/rings.

AFT in the C-series boxes used in the Spyders is too thin and they get noisy. a good quality semi-synthetic 75W90 w/ 400ml of oil stabilizer is enough to keep them happy.

ATF Dextron III might work fine on a S54 which has physically larger gears (and clearances) but not on these small things...

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: David

Post by NzLHD »

May be a wee bit biased but 1+ for the 2zz. great little motor and an easy swap that will transform the car :D
'86 AW10 2ZZ-GTE

kim0663
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Joon

Post by kim0663 »

Realistically from a financial point of view, don't waste money on rebuilding a 1zz. Even if you're doing all the work yourself and assembling the entire engine yourself, the cost of acid dipping, cleaning (incl head coz it's gonna be carbon galore) it will easily run you towards four digit bills even before ordering any new parts- when the motor is barely worth $500~ 1k

Studthor
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Scott

Post by Studthor »

Where on earth are you going for acid dipping and cleaning to get that high a price? I had my 20v block and head acid dipped for
$30 each, granted thats trade price but still. As for cleaning, a wire wheel will do valves and pistons, for the head and block just fill a 20L container with petrol, leave to soak and use a paint brush to clean once everything has soaked. Rifle bore brush works for oil passages and use a duster gun to blow any remaining.

Just wear surgical gloves when doing bearings and you'll be fine, its pretty simple and as long as you check all clearances as you go wont have problems.