Soft top for a Spyder

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mcdeviant
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Carface

Re: Soft top for a Spyder

Post by Mcdeviant »

Hey guys, spoke to Dalton, then lockdown happened and I just got around to taking the car over.
He’s being good about it (as expected) and knows the cause of one issue: the softtop was tight going on (being new, and tighter than most), and this resulted in one of the clips becoming a bit loose, think I mentioned that. This means one side isn’t lining up properly and water was missing the channel, getting in. He is going to adjust it. The other part he’s not sure about and will take a look. I had Toyota Glen Eden look at it and they were adamant it’s an install problem, not the roof itself, but I don’t know details so can’t vouch either way.
Dolan seems like a good guy, and is obviously more experienced than other installers I spoke with, and I’m confident he’s going to sort it out to the best of his ability. I’ll confirm when it’s done.

You will want to sort that out soon psyguy, at that location it will let rain in very quickly. It will pool in the metal body of the car and rust out the floor. I’ve got a friend who left his out in the rain like that, in a week of heavy rain it it was flooded. By the end of winter, he had it assessed and it was considered a write-off.

Also, my inside leak was very minor. I have no moisture on the floor now, even after recent rains. But I smell dampness inside so I suspect it’s pooling somewhere. Dolan suggested blocked drains but I cleared those earlier this year, before noticing the leaks. He said he will check for drain issues.

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

Thanks for the update, mate.
Mcdeviant wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:44 pm

You will want to sort that out soon psyguy, at that location it will let rain in very quickly. It will pool in the metal body of the car and rust out the floor. I’ve got a friend who left his out in the rain like that, in a week of heavy rain it it was flooded. By the end of winter, he had it assessed and it was considered a write-off.
Yeah I need to get onto it soon. Have put temporary patches for now and the car spends time undercover so no worries.
But also there's the water catch bags there so any water leaking in would actually just flow out through the drain holes and outside the body. I've tried it 8)
Your friend must have had a different issue, I suppose.

Mcdeviant
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Carface

Post by Mcdeviant »

I forgot to update.

Dolan found a drain had blocked again. This shouldn’t have caused further dampness inside, but I haven’t had any since that visit.

I used those DampFree buckets to soak up all the moisture over winter and spring and they worked great. Got a couple of litres overall, spread over 4-5 months, so that may just be from the air that got in when it was opened to drive it. Still haven’t sorted out the clip but I’ll look at a wreck on trademe some time.

Still happy with what I got for my money.

Dolan at City Trim onehunga is the man to see if you need a new roof installed. Ask him to recommend one first.

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

Good stuff, mate.

My car is currently at City Trim. I've gone with GAHN premium vinyl top. Bought it from www.autotopsdirect.com .
Dalton reckons it's a really good quality. Can't wait to have my car back.
Mcdeviant wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:43 am
Dolan at City Trim onehunga is the man to see if you need a new roof installed.

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Good one Ivor

Top look great on the site.Glad I stumbled upon Dalton when I did looks like hes looking after everyone.Cant wait to see your car finished
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Cathy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi - also looking for a soft top if any one can recommend. New to group and this forum.

Cathy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Forgot to mention in Tauranga

MIKEP
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hi Cathy

Welcome to the Forum and the fraternity of Spyder Owners. The cheapest place top get a top is from the USA online and there are heaps available

Go back through this thread and you will see i got one from Topsonline.com and Ivor got his from topsdirect.com .

As far as installation goes you need to check round with upholstery shops to see how much they charge. In Auckalnd its around 650 to get one fitted but better if someone has done it before .
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

MIKEP