Battery Replacement

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
davidmccracken
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: David

Battery Replacement

Post by davidmccracken »

(Regrettable – sorry just not a Christmas fan) Season’s Greetings All!

Apologies in advance for any novice or downright stupid questions or pointless information below, but despite doing as much prior research as possible, this is the first time I’ve ever had to change a car battery. It does seem to be quite the endless minefield though. I also apologise for the length of this post, but have tried to provide as much information in order get the most definitive answers possible and possibly provide similar less experienced owners in the same situation as myself with the right advice that I’ve found hard to come by.

Requiring no fewer than four jump-starts for my 2001 MK3 in the last year, has led me to believe I require a new battery. The two I needed earlier in the year were the result of carelessly leaving the internal light on overnight, the bulb of which I then removed to prevent this mistake a third time. The two most recent flats, however, have both come within the space of the last fortnight, due to no fault of my own. One occurred after a particularly cold night despite driving the evening before. Last night the battery was flat again, despite the weather being rather mild this week, seemingly because I simply hadn’t driven it for four days.

While some might simply indicate these are obvious causes, my current circumstances dictate my MK3 may go undriven for several days at a time, nor can I obviously control the weather. Either way, while it may be fine to keep things ticking over for a typical driver who does several miles every day without fail, the battery I currently have simply isn’t fit for my purposes. Moreover, despite lying undriven for over 3 weeks in the late spring (whilst I was in Japan, fittingly enough), it started fine first time, leading me to believe the condition of the battery has rapidly deteriorated in recent months.

I’ve also taken into account appropriate factors and occurrences which indicate it is the very much the battery at fault and not the alternator or starter motor. With research, the gods of internet consensus very much point in the direction of a new battery. This, however, is seemingly where this consensus ends and I therefore require some advice on selecting a new one.

Every site I’ve been to has been trying to sell me a different battery of a different size. Despite my current battery being a 063, I’ve been recommended various types, from a 005L (which I’ve read is the official correct size) to a 048 and a HB057 (also known as 049, I believe). Basically anything and everything other and far larger (at least in height) than the 063 I currently have.

My questions if you’d be kind enough to answer are therefore:

1) Do you agree I am in need of a new battery?

2) Does the actual battery type/code/part number particularly matter as long as it physically fits, or could my situation be the result of my current battery being somewhat unsuitable?

3) Being a Japanese car in Europe, I’ve read there can be issues with battery terminal size, or is this only an issue with actual imports? My current battery is certainly in standard configuration, with the positive on the right, but is the size of the terminal nodes something I need to keep an eye on?

4) Should I definitely buy new, or could I save some cash buying a standard or possibly even a higher capacity used, but not too old battery, in perfectly-decent condition?

5) Being an old car I don’t know how long I will keep, and currently jobless, I’m keen to spend as little as possible, within reason. For example, I could replace like for like (new) for around £30 to get a type 063 35/39 Ah, 330/360A, compared to the 41Ah 360/390A, I currently have sitting flat. Would this do the job, or would you recommend investing in something with a higher capacity? I realise greater Ah will hold more charge and CCA aid with cold mornings, but will this really make any noticeable difference as opposed to simply getting anything that’s new? Given I’m currently only doing short urban journeys (max 3 miles/day, 6 days/week) would a larger capacity battery even have the chance to get properly charged?

Many thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

(Christmas) Cheers,
David.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Re: Battery Replacement

Post by ClanFever »

The easiest way to make sure it's the battery is have it tested - our Repco stores (car parts) do this for free. It sounds like it is, but it'd be good to have that confirmed. Whilst you're there they can be sure to at least sell you a battery with the correct terminal sizes. I would buy new, no point going 2nd hand with a battery.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Re: Battery Replacement

Post by mknz »

1 yes but get it checked for free

2 three things matter; size (physical, can use cardboard if too small), CCA and plate count. Obviously these all generally correlate with each other and with the part number.

3 either take your old battery to check the terminals or get a battery with the smaller posts and get lead shims

4 only you can answer this one, can you be bothered searching the wreckers for one and is that time and effort worth the cost savings

5 for 30£ stop wasting people's time and your own, buy the battery based on their recommendation and if it doesn't suit take it back to them and complain. If you're not going to keep it then it doesn't matter as long as it works while you have it

It doesn't matter how big the battery is, they all use the same (ish) energy to start the car and so they all require the car to be running about the same time to charge again.

The 'size' (plates and CCA) play a role in how long the battery lasts (undersized may last a few months or may not start the car and oversized may last a few years more than the normal size).

Your vehicles and batteries will hate trips that short, go buy a bicycle. Cars prefer to run for at least 16km (not per day, I mean one way) to fully warm up