New motor needed

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Tryn2fly
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Andre

New motor needed

Post by Tryn2fly »

Hi I'm in need of a motor for my mr-s 2000 spyder.or would it be better to venture into something else.please help me out .contact number 0212396064

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Re: New motor needed

Post by EssDub »

2ZZ swap it.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

EssDub wrote:2ZZ swap it.

+1

Pls.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Alsw20 wrote:

+1

Pls.
+2

Pls.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

GDII wrote:
Alsw20 wrote:

+1

Pls.
+2

Pls.
+3

Pls.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

I'm going to give the opposite argument.

You end up doubling the cost of the swap and if you end up doing all the things to do it "properly" you might as well swap in a more powerful motor or at least one with more torque.

At minimum you'll need swap headers 450USD, mount adaptor 45USD, shipping of whatever, import fees, cert (makes more power), figure out the wiring and intake yourself. All up 1500$ at a guess without the motor.

Buying the motor is also a bit of a hassle, finding one, making sure it's one with 180-190hp, making sure it has the right ECU so you don't have to buy another and some more things. Then it's also more expensive than the 1ZZ

But if you're going through the effort of the swap you might as well get the better headers for more power, 6 speed transmission to keep it in the powerband, replace the dipstick to make your life easier, better clutch to handle the power, the plug and play harness to save you time and effort and at least rotor and pad replacement to handle the extra power. These start adding up rather quickly and you're probably at 3000$ without the motor

You don't need a 2ZZ to carry a good speed around the corners, you're better off investing 614$ in tyres and finding a low km 1ZZ-FED (1500$ I think, ask Mike P) then gutting the cats.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

I agree with Michael.

If you do feel like the extra power of the 2zz is worth it, then what he's supplied is a pretty realistic cost.
if you need her back on the road, then get a new used 1zz engine and slap it in. No headaches besides maintenance items such as clutch oil coolant etc.

My .02.

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

HI
I agree I bought a 2010 1ZZ with 68 k clicks on it (certified) from a JAp engine importer. I put new heavy duty clutch water pump and a few other things. Bolted
straight in > Gutted the Cats and the whole swap all up owes me around $850.00
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

EssDub
Guest of the Club.

Post by EssDub »

A 2010 1ZZ? Err, they were discontinued in late 2007 and replaced with the 2ZR engine...

Anyway,

If you want a bog-stock, mundane ride, throw a stocker 1ZZ in it and be done with it. Cheap and cheerful, but likely to just burn oil just like before.

if you want a car that actually moves with any kind of urgency, runs 13's down the quarter and will embarrass cars many times its cost, then 2ZZ swap it. Yes, it costs more, but thats what you get for the extra 60whp.

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Ok Well I suppose the Japanese man can be wrong but what ever

Well heres a link to the car my engine came out of https://www.cardealpage.com/toyota/wish/1638098/. IT is straight out of a wish .

It was a 2009 July build registered 01 2010 in Nagoya I can send you the Shaken Cert and the ownership papers of the car it was removed from if you like

I suppose Toyota can be wrong but whatever I am very happy with it

Of all the guys I spoke to with 2zz who had sold them none had got their money back . YOu only get the same money for them as a 1ZZ spyder so unless it gets your loins all wet and warm id stick with a 1ZZ.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

EssDub wrote:A 2010 1ZZ? Err, they were discontinued in late 2007 and replaced with the 2ZR engine...

Anyway,

If you want a bog-stock, mundane ride, throw a stocker 1ZZ in it and be done with it. Cheap and cheerful, but likely to just burn oil just like before.

if you want a car that actually moves with any kind of urgency, runs 13's down the quarter and will embarrass cars many times its cost, then 2ZZ swap it. Yes, it costs more, but thats what you get for the extra 60whp.
Nah, the FED was put in the wish until 2009 but yes for the most part it finished in 2007 with the end of a corolla generation and the MRS.

Well if you get a low km enough example it should not have the issue (or at least only at a low level), I can't remember if they fixed the issue part way through or if the wish even has pre-cats.

Well more like 50hp difference if you get the right one, otherwise it could be a 24hp difference. Remember the SC AW is about 145hp and NA is 128hp and you will still embarrass people in the corners with one of those

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

Since we're sharing opinions... 8)

MR-S was primarily intended as a FUN fine-weather roof-down "runabout" car, not a serious sports car contender. A lot of the drivetrain and handling components are shared with the cheapest Toyota cars.
However, around twisty roads it keeps up with other MR2 cars no problem, including the Turbo SW20. It will also keep up just fine with the likes of a 6 cylinder 3.5 liter 350Z due to its superb cornering ability and very light weight.
MR-S is not a drag car and it won't become one even with the 2ZZ in it and in a straight line it will still be outrun by a multitude of ordinary coupes and sport-sedans on our roads.

So, MR-S (with 1ZZ) IS a really nice car for what it is AND a really good platform for various upgrades the extent of which depends on the depth of your pocket.

Putting 2ZZ in the MR-S is often well overrated as the preferred mod the same way the performance from 1ZZ is often well underrated (typically by the people who don't really appreciate the intent of the MR-S creators).

Between 1999 and 2007 Toyota and TRD had plenty of time to develop a power upgrade for the MR-S but they didn't, so presumably they didn't think it was needed for what the car was intended for.

2ZZ is not even the easiest power upgrade nor the best bang for the buck as a 1ZZ Turbo (kit) setup is easier to do and would give more power for similar money as a 2ZZ swap (Turbo vs NA preferences aside).

EssDub
Guest of the Club.

Post by EssDub »

Turbocharge a stock 1ZZ with anything more than around 5psi and you'll be bending rods before you reach the same power as a 2ZZ. Fact.

Power Enterprises was the only company to successfully provide a reliable kit for the cars and even then, only gave around 180 crank hp.

Toyota didn't develop the 2ZZ in the MRS because it would've put the car in direct competition with the Toyo...Lotus Elise at the time.

Yes, a relatively standard car will keep up with most cars on the road, but where's the fun in that? Embarrassing Porsche/Evo/WRX fanboys in your 2ZZ girl's car is way more enjoyable and worth every cent :mrgreen:

(and if you really wanna be a dick, just turbocharge it, push 280-300whp and go annoy the supercar boys :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

I like Mr. Green. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

EssDub
Guest of the Club.

Post by EssDub »

mknz wrote: Remember the SC AW is about 145hp and NA is 128hp and you will still embarrass people in the corners with one of those
Yeah, 145 and 128, on a piece of paper, with no solid proof, written in 1988.

Not reeeeeally a good mandate for comparison, ayeeeee? :D

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

EssDub wrote:Turbocharge a stock 1ZZ with anything more than around 5psi and you'll be bending rods before you reach the same power as a 2ZZ. Fact.

Power Enterprises was the only company to successfully provide a reliable kit for the cars and even then, only gave around 180 crank hp.
I'd be curious to know where you get your "facts" from?

Spyderchat forum is full of 1zz turbo builds on stock internals with 200+ WHP that have been running reliably for many tens of thousands of miles.

Both MWR and BLF offer very reliable turbo kits and have good reputation.