Project White Lightning

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ivor

Re: Project White Lightning

Post by psyguy »

Jabeo wrote:i will be interested in seeing how that analog wideband gauge goes, ive been looking at different options for afr gauges but am not a huge fan of digital ones, however ive heard good things about them, but ive not really seen many analog ones used and i prefer the look
I'll know more when I take the car for tuning and see what the tech thinks of it.
The gauge has a step motor so it's not too bouncy. It's got a bit of a lag from the throttle input, but perhaps this is to be expected due to the placing of the sensor (after the turbo)?
One annoying thing is that the AFR and EGT gauges even though the same brand and product line, have a slight variation in color when lit up :?

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

Update:
I've had the clutch/flywheel replaced so that can get crossed off the to-do list.
Need to install back the rear bumper then some gentle road test and clutch work out is in order.
20190925_165918.jpg

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

EssDub wrote:Out of interest,
Where are you pushing/pulling your water lines from?
I am curious to see your setup.
Ta
G
water line cut for turbo.jpg
water line cut for turbo.jpg (131.95 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
(pic not mine)

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

I nearly killed it :shock:
The oil filter sandwich plate had a small leak. It wouldn't seal well because the plate center bolt eats into the aluminum as you tighten it. So I added a washer on the bolt that made it possible to tighten up the plate properly. But the thickness of the washer prevented the oil filter from sealing well. Which I didn't realize...
Buttoned everything up, jumped in the car to start it, turned the key while watching the oil pressure gauge, the engine starts, oil pressure gauge reads zero... First thought - oh my gauge doesn't work... Second thought - S**T, TURN THE ENGINE OFF!!! :x

Well, no use crying over the spilt milk, I mean oil...
20191008_150313.jpg

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

psyguy wrote:I nearly killed it :shock:
The oil filter sandwich plate had a small leak. It wouldn't seal well because the plate center bolt eats into the aluminum as you tighten it. So I added a washer on the bolt that made it possible to tighten up the plate properly. But the thickness of the washer prevented the oil filter from sealing well. Which I didn't realize...
Buttoned everything up, jumped in the car to start it, turned the key while watching the oil pressure gauge, the engine starts, oil pressure gauge reads zero... First thought - oh my gauge doesn't work... Second thought - S**T, TURN THE ENGINE OFF!!! :x

Well, no use crying over the spilt milk, I mean oil...

20191008_150313.jpg
I had a similar issue with a cheap sandwich plate. It think it was from Scarles. The bolt inner thread was also a bit off center. I bought a new bolt from GSS that cost nearly as much as the whole set. I bought. But it worked much better as it had rounded edges on the face which didn't bind on the ali. In case this helps?
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

psyguy wrote:I nearly killed it :shock:
Well I'm glad you didn't..!

The fun and games we get ourselves into when modding things eh...?

Can't be helped.

:lol:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

It's VERY busy around the oil filter so this limited my choice of sandwich plates. I need a plate with 3x 1/8"NPT ports in a specific configuration. Searched internet for hours and everyone seems to be selling one and the same design plate. Basically, the center bolt doesn't have enough of a seating surface on the plate, maybe just one millimeter, if that. And the bolt eats into the aluminium. Poor design...
20191013_135241.jpg
20191013_135309.jpg

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

The oil cooler is now in and seems to be holding water, I mean oil :roll:
A short test indicates oil stays at a balmy 90-100°C regardless of the driving style (steady motorway speed at low rpm as well as high rpm driving at lower speeds).
Assembling the AN lines was a pain :?
20191013_122605.jpg
I also installed an easy oil drain fitting.
20191013_125518.jpg
Turbo feed line filter visible in the background.

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

I hit a bit of a snag... One rear brake was binding a little and I thought working the piston back in would be sufficient to get it to work well again, however I was proved wrong as the piston was properly stuck so I had no choice but to push it out and take the caliper apart.
Have the ECU tune booked for this coming week so had no choice but to reassemble the caliper with old seals :? one of which teared as I was pulling it out :shock:
Had s short run today and seems the caliper holds water, I mean brake fluid :roll:
But I'll have to redo it anyhow and do the other side as well.
Hopefully I can get the parts soon enough.
Will have to phone a few places tomorrow, fingers crossed!
20191026_143214.jpg
20191026_172524.jpg

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

Had an alu plate made to protect the oil cooler hoses.
Decided to run the hoses under the gas tank rather than around the tank as I couldn't quite see how to get the hoses to the oil filter adapter plate, other than by using a gazilion -10AN fittings which isn't great for avoiding leaks, and also they are quite bulky so there may not have been sufficient space for them anyhow.
20191028_113832.jpg
The photo makes it look like there's heaps of space between the plate and the tank but in reality the hoses are pressed tight between the plate and the tank so there maybe just a 15-20mm gap there.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Sure hope you get the brakes sorted in time Ivor. Few things more important than brakes. (Tyres, perhaps?)
That's one crazy looking brake pad! :shock:

The caliper's plunger looks like it needs a bit of real fine wet-and-dry treatment.

As for the aluminium plate... I hope it's angled to produce down-force? Adrian Newey would insist on it I'm sure. Though of course he would study how it influenced the air flow around components aft of there as well, to get the maximum overall effect... :lol:

I see you do have a bit of a deflector on its rear edge. Not quite a Gurney flap, but almost... 8)

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

I'm not sure about the brakes or the alu plate but I HAVE washed the car so, I'm ready for Sunday!
:P

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

psyguy wrote:I'm not sure about the brakes or the alu plate but I HAVE washed the car so, I'm ready for Sunday!
:P
:lol: I've done the exact opposite! See you there!

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

Massive setback! :shock:
Went for a tune but the tuner discovered the water/methanol injection doesn't work. Tests ok and no fault codes but it doesn't work under boost. Suspect failed MAP inside the controller.
20191103_191817.jpg
The tuner said the base map I've been driving on is quite safe so I can continue driving albeit making less power than possible and with a small driveability issue - over fueling under prolonged boost :cry:

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

New rubber for the front wheels :D
20191107_143954.jpg