W30 Brake Master Cylinder info

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Ross

W30 Brake Master Cylinder info

Post by Rosscar »

Ok i have been all round the block on this. First the LHD cylinders are completely different and the aftermarket ones are all for LHD. I have sent my cylinder to Canterbury Brake and Clutch who remachine most cylinders and rebuild but they cant help either. The reason seems to be that most cylinders have the seals on the pistons but these which are peculier to the RHD W30 have the seals set in grooves in the bores. Toyota NZ say they were never meant to be taken apart so no kits have been produced and HK distributors have not found me any seals from their sources. Sam at Toyota NZ has asked me to send photos so they can identify the manufacturer (mine is stamped JKC and has a number 2723) but she is not hopeful that they can help.My cylinder shows no signs of wear in the bores and would probably be ok with new seals if Toyota can locate the manufacturer and i could obtain some.I have a second hand one which is Ok for now but we need to be aware they are like hens teeth and Toyota may not be able to help. I have pointed out these cars are now modern classics and the club should pressure Toyota into providing a remedy -surely different M/C could fit into the booster?

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: W30 Brake Master Cylinder info

Post by Benckj »

That's not good news for Spyder owners. Just goes to show we need to keep on top of these issues if we want to keep our MR2's on the road. One simple part could be the final nail in the coffin. Thanks for sharing the info.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Rosscar »

Someone pointed me at the Amayama.com site but they are out of stock too. Toyota Customer care are not able to even tell me who made the cylinder although I have sent photos. They basically are not interested in helping even to tell me if one of their other cylinders will fit into the booster. It looks like one will have to get new seals made.Anyone know who does that? I have asked Toyota if the LHD cylinders have the same booster or that will fit our boosters then one would just have to reroute the pipes to the other side of the cylinder.I await that answer with interest.

Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Rosscar »

I would add that the LHD cyliders have the same bore throughout. Thr RHD cylinders have two different sized bores and a plastic gizmo in the larger bore but does anyone know why?

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Could you get a LHD unit or seal kit and put them in the RHD unit? I do note the overall part number difference, the fact you note they look very different, also that there are 2 RHD units. Just a suggestion if this gets around the problem.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Rosscar »

No -as the bores are different then the seals will not be interchangable. Does anybody know where you can get new seals made? It has been suggested that the larger bore/ smaller bore is to create a braking differential between front and rear but that doesnt explain why LHD cars dont have that.(or many other vehicles) Keith has suggested the club getting a small stock of seals made to alleviate the problem for club members.

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Try Seal Innovations. We've used them at work to manufacture some quite complex seals so master cylinder seals should be easy enough for them.
They might even have the right thing in stock or know where to get them.

https://www.sealinnovations.co.nz/
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Rosscar »

It is official -I have had a call from Donna -head of Toyota "customer care "who has told me Toyota cant help in any way with this problem. However I have been in touch with Pacific Seals in Gracefield who sound helpful and I shall take my old M/cyl to them next week to find out the viability of getting seals made (or if they have some in stock.) Keith is going to speak to Olaf as to whether the club should keep a stock for members future needs.Do others agree this would be a good plan?

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Rosscar wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:36 am
It is official -I have had a call from Donna -head of Toyota "customer care "who has told me Toyota cant help in any way with this problem. However I have been in touch with Pacific Seals in Gracefield who sound helpful and I shall take my old M/cyl to them next week to find out the viability of getting seals made (or if they have some in stock.) Keith is going to speak to Olaf as to whether the club should keep a stock for members future needs.Do others agree this would be a good plan?
Definitely, as this was something we discussed as a M2ROC committee many years ago. Might actually be benificial to start a thread that identify known parts which are discontinued from AW/SW and MRS models. I think many members would be surprised at some of the parts which are no longer available either through OEM or aftermarket (alternators, E153 internal parts, etc).
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods