MR-S SMT

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
MR-S4me
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Drew

MR-S SMT

Post by MR-S4me »

Can anyone help me to source either a new or rebuilt SMT unit for my 2001 MR-S
Or if anyone can verify that Monkeywrench a USA Company are a legit outfit to deal with, as they advertise rebuilt SMT units for sale
Thanks
Drew

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Ivor

Re: MR-S SMT

Post by psyguy »

Monkeywrench is legit, though expensive.

There's SMT specific Facebook page where you can get good help and some spare parts. There's a couple of people in Oz that sell used smt units.

What exactly do you need?

MR-S4me
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Drew

Post by MR-S4me »

TOYOTA OEM SMT HYDRAULIC PUMP UNIT HPU – MR2 SPYDER – REBUILT
$995.00
Manawatu Toyota did a diagnostic and discovered a fault with the SMT accumulator and have recommended a full replace unit, See above Monkeywrench unit. Any info you can provide to find a NZ alternative would be awesome.
Along with the USD995.00 unit cost is a Core cost of additional USD800.00, they say they will refund the core cost if I ship to them my faulty SMT unit.
Can you send me the links to the Facebook page you mention and the address in Oz for the folks that rebuild these units.
Looking forward to hearing from you,

Cheers Drew

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Ivor

Post by psyguy »

If the problem is just the pressure accumulator those are available separately as Porsche uses the same part on their cars. Available on ebay.
You can search Facebook for details or ask for the part number there:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/656921144477464
The international sellers of used parts are all in that Group as well.
If you need good info on SMT or MR-S in general, there's a wealth of knowledge on spydechat.com

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)