Grrrrrrr!'s Sw20 Tracktoy

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Lee

Grrrrrrr!'s Sw20 Tracktoy

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

mr2_frt_left3qtr.jpg
mr2_frt_left3qtr.jpg (55.49 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
Picked this up today.
Has many much works to be done to it yet, but first things first, getting it properly roadlegal.
Attachments
intercooler.jpg
intercooler.jpg (74.19 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
mr2 interior.jpg
mr2 interior.jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 4365 times

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Re: Grrrrrrr!'s Sw20 Tracktoy

Post by Logan »

Saw that on trademe a week or so ago, looked like a fairly good deal, what are your plans for it?
1996 Turbo SW20

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Plans are to drive it till some breaks, fix it, then repeat. No plans to do any engine work until the one in there goes pop, so will mainly look at brakes and suspension, oh, and a bigger GT wing than Mr Henderson :P

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Looks like loads of fun. Doubt if I could even climb into those seats. If I did the fire service would need to get me out.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Garnett

Post by pureadrenalin »

Grrrrrrr! wrote:Plans are to drive it till some breaks, fix it, then repeat. No plans to do any engine work until the one in there goes pop, so will mainly look at brakes and suspension, oh, and a bigger GT wing than Mr Henderson :P

I whole heartly agree with your plans :D

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Well, it passed inspection for motorsport auth card, so i can keep it roadlegal. Also went for a bit of the up north run with Charlie, Paul, Thomas and the two siblings from up north (sorry, I'm bad with names!). Discovered that it drinks gas (from the 3/4mark to the halfway mark in 60kms of moderately aggressive driving.) I think the blowoff valve is leaking under boost, or there are other air leaks somewhere. Think i've figured out the lack of idle problem, the rubber hose that goes onto the turbo inlet is perished and cracked, so air could be bypassing the AFM. Gearbox is pretty whiney, so asked the guy that did the inspection to get me a price on rebuilding the box, and will get a price on a mechanical LSD to throw in at the same time if the price doesn't send my bank balance into shock, otherwise i'll just throw one of my other factory gearboxes in and hope that it has a good LSD in it.

Also picked up the spares that came with it, another spare set of gen 2 calipers, NA engine cover, gen2 standard wheels with semis on, and a couple of other spare wheels, some suspension arms, king springs (blah) plus the racesuit.
Destickered it to keep it low profile.

Once I sort out the persihed rubber hoses under the lid, i'll be getting rid of the silly intercooler setup, and looking at W/A solutions.

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Anybody one in good condition they can send my way? Would order a new one from Mark, but i'm guessing its going to be a 3 week from japan job, and i'm still hoping a place opens up at the skidpad session at Hampton.

Intercooler and rear stop light totally kills rearwards visibilty, and the amount of piping cant be good for lag either.. so its going to be scrapped/sold after xmas.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I used a piece of 3" flexi hose on intake which not only increased size but eliminated 2 90deg bends. Cost about $30 and its tough as nails. Some good deals on w2a systems in the US forums recently.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Still trying to work out what brainiac decided to mount the IC like that... Right in a low-pressure area...

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

At one stage it had a scoop, which would have (if raised out of the boundary layer) got a good feed of air and probably cooled it just fine. Previous owner says it works fine as it is, but meh, looks shit, obstructs vision and everything I know about aero (not much..) says it wont work well there. Plus the piping doesn't have the swaged ends required to keep hoses from sliding off so it blows hoses off too.

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Garnett

Post by pureadrenalin »

I got one of those turbo elbows.
I can bring it to the Hampton skid pad day.

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

If I cant sort out a new one by then i'll take it, PM me a price please Mr H.

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Home today, big fat envelope with Motorsport NZ on the front of it, so all legal, and should have a new turbo inlet hose waiting at work for me tomorrow along with the sugarcube for the shifter so will fit those up tomorrow night and take it for a quick boost. Also considering remove the BOV and fitting a blanking plate.

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Fitted up the new turbo inlet pipe, wound the wastegate spring in to max, and started the car for a shakedown drive. OMGWTFBBQ!!!.. it sounds like a rotary.. and its gutless. once round the block and back into the driveway, off with the engine cover and try to spot what went wrong.

Ah, somehow one of the ignition leads has been knocked off the plug, push it on and start the car... instant start, and nice fast cold idle. Might be the end of the no idle problem. Quick lap round the block and its back to a normal power level at part throttle so things are looking good. Time for a drive to see how it runs.

A few slow kms later the temp gauge is pointing somewhere healthy, time for some boost. Apply a helping of right foot and off she goes, no lack of power now. (well, no worse than a 200'kms old standard 3sgte anyway). Pull up at the lights and notice that i've gone from no idle, to all the idle in the world.. all 2000 rpm of it. Oh well, guess i'll have to track down which muppet-mod the previous owner did is responsible for this problem.

Time to pour some rum into this McDs drivethru Coke and kick back.

PS: Drivethru designed for SUVs + Lowered Mr2, Raceseats & 4pt harnesses = LOL!
Anyway, the needle on the fuel gauge is looking at my feet, so time to find some dinosaur juice. Topped up with 98 ($2.24/L hurts after paying $1.47 in Oz for gas), reset the trip meter and off for some more boosting. Went well for a while, then started developing an intermittent miss and dropping boost... bugger. Will hunt out the new leads and plugs for the weekend and hope that solves the problem. Might even have a shiny new rotor cap stashed away somewhere. Bring on the skid-pad!

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Dunno what happened there, fat fingers on touchpad must have moved that text around..