Grrrrrrr!'s Sw20 Tracktoy

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Lee

Re: Grrrrrrr!'s Sw20 Tracktoy

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

As promised, teardown pics.

Inside of the head, nice and golden, cam journals are all good too.

The only problem so far.. the dowel has somehow been pushed up into the head.. it needs to come out to locate the head and head gasket on the block correctly when reinstalled.

Pistons look unused..

little bit of soot that'll clean off easily.

I dont think the head had been off this motor before, so it will be interesting to see what i find in the crankcase tomorrow.
Gen 2 GT trackcar: Used and Abused, now getting some TLC.
CL7 Euro R, the fun begins at 6000 rpm

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Mine looked similar, except the intake tract and combustion chamber was full of oily soot (which I cleaned off). My head was darker than yours (oil colour) though.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Right, so as you might have seen in the other thread. the run bearing in the motor turned out to be a banana shaped conrod.

Gen 4 conrods are poo, don't build a motor with them. Get forged rods, even gen2 or 3 rods are a mile better than gen4 for boosted applications.

Crank has a couple of tiny marks, not worth doing anything about

Oil pump.. again, a couple of minor marks, cleaned it out, replaced the oring, lubed it up and its going to be used again

Bores cleaned up nicely...

So after tearing it downI cleaned the heck out of everything, thenlubed it up and dummy assembled the block again, just to save space.. engines in pieces take up up too much space.

The head is next on the cleanup list, but have to check the car over before the bent sprints on wednesday evening.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Let me guess, bent con rod from Cly 3?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Nope, cylinder #1, its a gen 4, so it doesn't suffer from rubbish sidefeed injectors/rail or rubbish centerfeed manifold like gen 2 & 3.

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

So since the last post I have taken the car to a bent sprint at Pukekohe, and got thrashed. I got beaten by an MR-S.. but so did everybody except the Hayabusa powered starlet and a 700hp WRX..
In my defence, the MR-S did have a snail bolted to it..

I managed to spin it by getting a bit aggressive with the throttle out of the hairpin on my first run, and managed to nail three cones and dent the front guard when the amount of road between me and the finish line chicane suddenly looked a lot smaller than I could haul the car up in. :lol: Might have done it with sticky semis or slicks, but not with old road tyres.

I've also been playing with the gen3/4 bits i have around, and OMG, I hate the gen2 engine so much now. Gen2 oil cooler is rubbish compared to the gen 4 item, so about to source a gen 3+ cooler and figure out how to make it work on the gen 2 block (gen 3/4 water feed comes off the block, gen 2 comes off the water pump housing) or ditch the gen2 cooler altogether and run an air cooler only system.

pureadrenalin
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Garnett

Post by pureadrenalin »

Good stuff getting out there competing.
You are always going to get beaten if you aren't running semi slicks. They make a huge difference.
I run a gen3 cooler and an air cooler for my oil system, and it still doesn't keep up at the track. It's ok for hill climbs and street sprints (just), but no way for the track.

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Yeah, wasn't out to be competitive that day, barely made it as it was, ran out the door from work, went home and changed cars and just made it to the track in time for driver briefing and paperwork. Another one in three weeks, will be more of the same, killing road tyres and having a laugh unless I talk a mate into being my support crew in which case I have some hard/old semi-slicks (been in storage for at least 5 years) to kill instead.

On the oil cooling front for the gen 2 i'm looking at making a full flow heat exchanger and just dumping the oil heat into the cooling water and letting the radiator deal with it.

Currently sitting in motel room in Brissy making brrm-brrm PSHHHH noises while playing with the new turbo. lol.

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

So todays progress was to buy a laptop, install the link software and innovate wideband controller software, and plug in the g4 i purchased a while back and have a short play. Link was sold to me as having never been used, but the ecu stats that says its seen 1 bar of boost and 6500rpm make me think its seen way more than just a start up on a base map :). Have the second bent spring coming up on Wednesday night at Pukekohe, should be a bit of fun. Might be the last run the car gets on the current motor. (if i get more motivated.)

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Second night of bent sprints at Pukekohe tonight, results were rubbish for me, had a couple of good runs on the south course, but my north course runs were rubbish.. Think I almost got a coneboy award after nailing cones at the chicanes. Took the toblerone out with the cones, and the dent in the left front guard will need knocking out.

Decided to see if I could lean the engine out a little by half fulling the tank with e85 from the pump up the road. Didn't notice a difference on track, was still in the low 10s while on boost, but cruising on the motorway on the way home saw it lean out to 17:1.

Car needs some better spring rates, coming round past the pit entrance at Pukekohe there is a bit of a bump that unsettles the car quite a bit, which is less than pleasant when you have just snatched fourth, have a face full of sunstrike and the car decides to get its bounce and wiggle on and the only thing in front of you is concrete wall thats already covered in battle scars. Not quite a full blown code brown, but definately a high pucker factor moment.

I'll throw in the new rear bilsteins I have in storage at the same time as I change the rear springs since i'm not sure how long the ones in there have been in there. I'll swap the standard rear springs for some unknown springs that appear to be stiffer, they came off one of the donor mr2s which had KYB superstreet shocks on it. Might also put some king lows in the front just to see how they behave (and because it doesn't already scrape enough :lol: ).

Also noticed that the handbrake lever cable is not moving freely, so one or both rear calipers are stuck on a bit, probably due to the cables. Going look at upgrade options for the rear brakes and go to a hydraulic handbrake since that was another thing that let me down tonight, could only just manage a turnaround at the cone on one of the courses tonight, almost had to three point it, which kills times.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Good update and thanks for sharing the experience. Just shows you that what you might think will work well on the car needs some real payment time to prove/disprove the theory. Devil is always in the detail.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

So tonight was my first attempt at this silly drive in a straight line as fast as you can style of "racing".

I bailed from work at 3pm, thinking that friday afternoon traffic heading south would be horrible, and i wasn't wrong, but it wasn't as bad as it could be, i didn't even come to a complete stop on the motorway today.

So after a quick stop at Mercer for a Pokeno Bacon Buttie for me, and a splash of 98 for the car, it was onwards to Meremere. Turned up just as the gates opened at 5pm, paid my money and got scrutineered by about 5.45. Parked up next to a guy with a turbo Altezza and started chatting, turns out he used to work with some guy that was nuts about mr2s.. turns out to be Wayne. :lol:
After chatting and looking at some of the cars turning up for a bit things kicked off with the start of the practice runs. I lined up and got directed thru to the burnout area where i did a pitiful bit of wheelspin then rolled forward to stage. Overshot staging and had to back up, and had only just got the car in first when the starter hit the button and the tree was counting down, so nailed the throttle and dumped the clutch. Got off the line with a 0.76s reaction time and pulled a 2.36s 60 foot time, breaking the beam 14.635 seconds later at 160kph. Was pretty happy with that for a first run, on cold tyres at 32psi considering that Nicks' (Iceygamer) best time at the previous nightspeed in his std gen2 gts was a 14.7

Lined back up for a 2nd practice run, and the queue was moving through pretty well, until I got to 5 spots back from the head of the queue and one of the starters walked past making the throat cut hand signal at the same time the lady on the PA system was saying something about oil. 30secs later another of the staff walks the queue miming taking a helmet off. Turns out a Supra had dropped its guts from the moment it launched till it was halfway down the track on the far lane. 6+ litres of oil spread over 200m of track meant nobody was going anywhere for about an hour while they cleaned it up. During this time Nick (Iceygamer) turned up, so I borrowed his tyre pressure gauge and dropped the rears to 25psi.

After the cleanup was sorted I got my second run in, a much more aggressive burnout, and not rolling past staging meant I was less rushed for the launch, so I managed a 2.031 60' time on my way to a 14.198 @ 157kph. Was well stoked with the improvement so rolled straight back into the queue for the third practice run.

This time round i was in the lane where the Supra had dropped its guts earlier in the night. Another more aggressive burnout, and rolled into staging and overshot again, backed it up and re-staged. Decided that since a harder launch had improved my time last time through I should give it more of a beating this time and proceeded to dump the clutch at 6000rpm. This turned out to be a bad idea, I spun the tyres up, and hit the limiter before snatching second and ended up with a 2.32 60foot time on my way to a 14.535 @ 155kph.

Three practice runs was all we got due to the time lost, so next up was the first elimination round. I was in c2 (2wd turbo) and was up against a lot of fast cars, a bunch of turbo hondas including at least one that is supposed to be making 400kW at the wheels, and most of the other cars were on semi-slicks or street legal drag radials. There was no draw or seeding, you ran against whoever was in front of or behind you in line. I'd rolled up behind a black ae92 corolla hatch with a 4agte ( i think) in it, and behind me was a FD3S rx7. Things weren't looking good til some body pointed out that the rx7 had run a 15.1 on its last practice pass. I wandered to the head of the queue and counted off the pairs and discovered I was going to be up against the rx7, rather than the ae92 which had already smoked me in practice.

I got directed into the good lane, the one that didn't get blessed by the Supra. Staged relatively quickly and waited for the other guy to stage, then went for it. Had absolutely appalling reaction time of 1.1s, but managed the first 60 feet in 2.038, the 330' mark in 5.952, then on to the 1/4 in 14.258 @ 156kph. The rx7 pulled a 16.587 pass, with a 4.704 60' time and an 8.857 330' time, but if he'd hooked up a good launch he would have smoked me, judging by the 173kph terminal speed.

Straight back round to line up for round 2 of the eliminations, and I see two cars already lined up, the ae92 had won his race and was up against a turbo honda, so I was going to be racing whoever pulled in line behind me. Turned out to be JRCOZY, a ford laser tx3i with a history of 11second passes. Needless to say there was no race waiting for me, just a thorough spanking, so I decided to race the clock and see if I could improve my 60' time to get under 2 seconds. I managed a 2.171 60' with a missed change to 2nd, so just cruised down to the line to clear the track. JRCOZY pulled a 11.615 @ 212kph for the win. That was the end of my officail races for the night, so I had some time to watch some of the other races while waiting for the grudge matches to start.

Managed to organise to line up against Nick and pulled my best pass of the night, a 14.017 @ 161.38, so close to breaking into the 13s. My 60' time of 2.086 wasn't my best of the night, so the car has what it takes to break into the 13s on the Toyo T1Rs that are on it if I can string together a good run. A set of proper semis or drag tyres at the proper temp and a bit more clutch abuse would probably get me into the 13.7 range if I could drive worth a damn.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Nice times, I did a 14.32 on a tar-seal country road so my times would benefit from a proper grippy surface to launch off of.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Its hard to break into the 13's on the track. Best time I've mnaged is 13.7. Ussually have good traction and launchs ith quick 60' times but lower trap speeds are low are 105mph. Inicates my overfueling issue at WOT.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

13 is easy with a ct20b ....
i think you did well :)