my new aw11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Re: my new aw11

Post by 85AW20v »

If you make the original front swaybar adjustable by welding a 20 x 4mm x 150mm long tag along the top edge with holes drilled every 15mm or so, you'll end up with the same effect as putting on a thicker bar. Make sure the tags are welded on with the right welding rods as the bars have a high carbon content. It's much easier to move the links a hole or two than swapping the whole bar out. You can do the same with the standard rear 10mm bar too.

Interesting that you went back to the standard rear bar Charlie - I did think the SW one would be a bit of overkill especially when you're starting to push the limits....

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: tom

Post by lifes675 »

I’ve found a white line sway bar that’s 20mm the cost is about $300 and they have an 18mm rear one for about the same price. I was going to have a look at the sw20 front swaybar and see if I can make it fit as the 18mm well over powers the aw11 17mm one but it stop's the arse wiggle when going around a corner and stops the lh wheel turning into a jack hammer when pulling off from a hard left turn :D

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

lifes675 wrote:...and stops the lh wheel turning into a jack hammer when pulling off from a hard left turn :D
Ooooh, is that what it is? :D I keep checking my bushes and thought maybe my shock was buggered.
/addtolist Rear Swaybar
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

85AW20v wrote:If you make the original front swaybar adjustable by welding a 20 x 4mm x 150mm long tag along the top edge with holes drilled every 15mm or so, you'll end up with the same effect as putting on a thicker bar. Make sure the tags are welded on with the right welding rods as the bars have a high carbon content. It's much easier to move the links a hole or two than swapping the whole bar out. You can do the same with the standard rear 10mm bar too.
Must make up a set of these one day. Very good suggestion Simon, allows for complete fine tuning of them.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

85AW20v wrote:If you make the original front swaybar adjustable by welding a 20 x 4mm x 150mm long tag along the top edge with holes drilled every 15mm or so, you'll end up with the same effect as putting on a thicker bar. Make sure the tags are welded on with the right welding rods as the bars have a high carbon content.
I've thought about doing this, do you have any info on what the right filler wire would be? I've welded spring steel before using regular mild-steel filler and just had it re-heat-treated afterwards, but would be nice to avoid doing that with something the size of an MR2 ARB

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

I’ve now found the rims i want :D im going to go with mrs rims . And have them painted black and i have a set of tyre sensors to fit as the ones i have do the tyre temp and as their 15"rim good tyres are more common :D

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

lifes675 wrote:im going to go with mrs rims .
Good choice :D

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by 85AW20v »

Malcolm wrote:I've thought about doing this, do you have any info on what the right filler wire would be? I've welded spring steel before using regular mild-steel filler and just had it re-heat-treated afterwards, but would be nice to avoid doing that with something the size of an MR2 ARB
Don't know but I'll talk to the guy who gave me the rods. It wasn't wire - it was done with a stick welder a wee while ago now.

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

ok part one of upgrading the brakes is under way. i have ae101(1993- corolla) twin pot callipers and face lift sw20 rear callipers :D from pick a part in the dam rain :x (makes every thing harder to remove). im going to start stripping the callipers this weekend so i can fit new seals in to them and give them a good clean and paint :D ill try to take some photo's as im pulling them apart.

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by 85AW20v »

85AW20v wrote:
Malcolm wrote:I've thought about doing this, do you have any info on what the right filler wire would be? I've welded spring steel before using regular mild-steel filler and just had it re-heat-treated afterwards, but would be nice to avoid doing that with something the size of an MR2 ARB
Don't know but I'll talk to the guy who gave me the rods. It wasn't wire - it was done with a stick welder a wee while ago now.
Just talked to "the guy" and he has said the rods to use are MG600 as they will cope wth the very high carbon content steel used in swaybars. I've run out of adjustment on the front one now but I've also got rid of pretty much all the oversteer I had. Just need to start driving it harder to see if there's any oversteer left. :twisted:

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

Ok new update after 6 months of leaking the heater core finely gave way in a great way empting the content of the coolant system on to the passenger side floor thank god I have a spear one, so this week’s job is pull the dash out before the meet and swap the core :D

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

mickeyduck wrote: Bigger sway bar for the front... let me know if you find one, I've never heard of one but if you do find one I want one too. I've gone back to the standard AW 10mm rear bar so I don't step the back out but if I could find a heavier front one heck yes cos it'd ride a lot flatter with less of that AW rear steering geometry shift under roll. :D
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_det ... ber=BTF20Z From BNT. Ive been chasing them, the paperwork is still in the inbox, but ring Dylan and ask for a price.

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

ok I’ve got the new heater core in and working and in the process I found that the output heater hose was blocked so I traced it back to on top of the thermostat housing and I found the thermostat to be blocked so I decided to fit a new thermostat and for some strange resin the high flow one is $5 cheaper than the stranded one so I thought I would go with the hi flow one as it will help keep the car cool when I go for a long run .
here’s a pic of the two thermostats
20130822_114210[1].jpg
ok on Sunday I went for a drive to the petrol station to fill the car up for next week and on my way there the charge light came on along with the batt light so I filled up the car and went to start it and nothing happened so I called my mate with a jump pack and a spare battery just in case. we tried to start the car on the jump pack and nothing but a splutter then die so we swapped the battery’s and went on are way home with the lights on the dash, when we got home the spare was flat as well so that only points to one thing the alternator so I got the car started and tested and I got 0.2 amp so its now time for a new alternator :D

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

That's a very unfortunate and sudden failure :(
Hope you get it sorted in time for the run!

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

i got the new alternater in last night and all looks ok im going to test it this weekend before the run to make sure all is ok :D