my new aw11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: tom

Re: my new aw11

Post by lifes675 »

all went good on the run this weekend I had one small blip with the new alt it cuts off at 8000rpm and then comes back at 7500rpm so I think it’s a safety thing I need to work no my brakes as they were suffering from brake fade near the end of the run so I’ve got to start fitting the callipers that I have for it. I’ve got 95 mk2 rear callipers came off a car with vented disc and ae101 twin pot front callipers that will help even out the brakes on the front and stop them locking up I did the same thing to my partners ae101 gt and this stopped the problem of them locking up and improved the braking. I think it is to do with the even pressure on the same pad space = lower heat :D

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

I loved the way those twin-pots worked on my AE101 4agze wagon! :twisted:
Since I installed them it always stopped on a dime. I bet they'll be even better on something as light as an AW.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

thats the hope to put them on the gt i got some 260mm disc's made but as i have a face lift the disc's should be 258mm so should fit without a problem :D

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Alex

Post by Sinturion »

What's the piston size of the ae101 calipers? I wonder how they compare to the st185s I have.
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

Sinturion wrote:What's the piston size of the ae101 calipers? I wonder how they compare to the st185s I have.
from what i can tell they are the same just the bracket is bigger :D if you want the twin pots on a ae101 non super strut you can use st185 calipers and 275 mm dics or use mr2 discs and super strut calipers

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

new update ive just got my c56 (silver top) back from my mate. im going to take the lsd diff out of the c56 and fit it to my spare c52 mr2 box. the c56 has know 3rd gear from what im told :D

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

lifes675 wrote:new update ive just got my c56 (silver top) back from my mate. im going to take the lsd diff out of the c56 and fit it to my spare c52 mr2 box. the c56 has know 3rd gear from what im told :D

Save your self the hassle and drill the hole for the gear shifter and swap the AW shifter into the newer c56 NO need to dismantle any gear boxes what so ever.
Plus you get a intake mount for the starter motor .
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

the c56 ony has 1st and 4 gear :roll:

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

ok looks like after xmas im going to restrip my mr2 and sand blast the paint work to remove all the layers of paint its had over the years and repaint it with no problems this time around and as im at it ive got some new gaurds from the uk to fit and paint :D

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

ok small change from what I had planned as I have a mates mr2 in my lockup so painting is on hold till his car gets on the road so as I had some spear time I did the lsd swap took about 2h to put the c56 apart and puled the lsd out of it and did the same to the c52 here is some pic's
20140104_103027.jpg
c52 diff vs c56 lsd diff
20140104_103209.jpg
c52 case c56 case

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

just ordered the trans oil today im going with redline mt90 so i will get that in the next day or so and im looking at fitting the gearbox in this weekend as the car will not make the run as it has no wof thanks to the sump leeking oil so as the car will be on axel stands to do the sump its a perfect time to do the gearbox :D

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

Ok over the weekend I cleaned the sump up and fitted my replacement c52 with the c56 lsd into the car thanks to the help of some mates and took her for a drive and what a difference it makes to the car all you feel is the back end sit down and take off the only problem I found is the adub is very light in the front end and the old trick of put your foot down around a corner doesn’t work with lsd it just keeps going forward so I think it’s time to move some weight to the front so im thinking ill move the battery as it’s a decent weight to help with traction , after about 4h I lost 1st and revise gears, its as though they are locked out so im going to have a play this weekend and see if it something simple but as it was built as a race / road box its just as easy to set off in 2nd but it need to be going for the next run

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

ok i have now fixed my 1st and reverse problem, when i refitted the gearbox i forgot to remember to watch the magnet that had dropped out of its housing and was between the 2 gears that did not work and this is what it looked like
20140116_195253.jpg
now that is sorted all i have left to do i replace one of the diff seals and im set to go

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

lifes675 wrote:..... the only problem I found is the adub is very light in the front end and the old trick of put your foot down around a corner doesn’t work with lsd it just keeps going forward ....
You might be able to sort this out with alignment changes. When I fitted the LSD to mine, a TRD clutch type not Torsen like yours, I found it did the opposite and went where i steered it whereas previously it used to understeer where accelerating out of corners. I think what used to happen was all the power went to the unweighted inside wheel so that tended to force the car to the outside of the corner. With the LSD its even power to both wheels so now it goes to wherever I point it. Heavier rear springs could also help to transfer more weight to the front.

See ya
Simon

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by lifes675 »

85AW20v wrote:
lifes675 wrote:..... the only problem I found is the adub is very light in the front end and the old trick of put your foot down around a corner doesn’t work with lsd it just keeps going forward ....
You might be able to sort this out with alignment changes. When I fitted the LSD to mine, a TRD clutch type not Torsen like yours, I found it did the opposite and went where i steered it whereas previously it used to understeer where accelerating out of corners. I think what used to happen was all the power went to the unweighted inside wheel so that tended to force the car to the outside of the corner. With the LSD its even power to both wheels so now it goes to wherever I point it. Heavier rear springs could also help to transfer more weight to the front.

See ya
Simon
I think your right with the springs I seem to loose the steering as the back comes down and the front lifts up so I have moved the battery to the front for the car for a better weight distribution
:D