Mickeyduck's machines

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Mickeyduck's machines

Post by GDII »

:twisted:
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Will be looking to sell the SW sometime soon.

Just need to do the clutch first. Trying to sort the shed today to get to the point where I can actually attack it.

Anyway thought I'd put it out there in case anyone's interested.

370kw / 500hp at the wheels.

It's a rush.

I think the engine's done about 10,000km since being built. Something like that.

And since I replaced the entire fuel system and the starter motor, it's been totally reliable. Turn the key and it goes. Man does it go!

Anyway I'll do the clutch and then she'll be up for grabs.
DSCF3382.JPG
20200902_180013.jpg
DSCF3201.JPG
DSCF3309-B00STN.JPG
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Tell Me its not so !! Does this end your love affair with all things MR2? The MR2 universe wont be the same without you in it.You have left us 126 pages of your life in Micky Ducks Machines (i still use it to refer back to } Taken us on some epic runs. had some cool BBQs.Mentored so many new owners .

The MR2 world is a better place for having you in it . Tell me you have a sneaky MR2 hiding somewhere that you will bring out when the time is right.

Who ever buys "The Red Thing" will be buying the most fun you can have with your pants on .I look forwards to seeing how it plays out.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Thanks for the kind words Mike. Appreciated.

No sneaky MR2's in hiding at this stage mate. Though I do have a TON of AW spares...

I'll post up a few pics yet as things progress. Poor thing's been sitting in the shed since Christmas 2020 when the clutch gave up exactly halfway to Russell after my brother died (he lived up there). Wasn't a good Christmas. So yeah it sat in the shed for a year... It's a bit dusty as a result but finally I have it jacked up and have started pulling it apart to sort out that twin plate Quartermaster clutch.

On the plus side when I jumped in and turned the key after a year of it sitting, it fired up straight away. So glad I replaced that fuel system!
RedThingOnStiltsFeb2022.jpg

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Are you finished with MR2's then? That will be sad, had some great runs over the years. Moving on to something new?
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Not necessarily Thomas. I could never replace it and it's one hell crazy fun thing to drive. 200kmh in around 11 seconds with a potential top speed of maybe 350kmh (going by the world speed record of 356kmh for a blown 2L GT car held by an SW of slightly less power) is pretty-much up there with the best of them.

If I do end up selling the SW someone's gonna get one hell of a bargain as it took some serious coin to build and goes like hell.

Bought a new Jimny 2 years ago, slowly kitting it out for some travels and it's been very useful for traipsing around off-road and going hunting on occasion.

When my brother died and the SW clutch did too it pissed me off so badly the thing is still on stilts in the shed. Really do need to get back into pulling it apart to fix it. Massively annoying that the clutch went, as the thing had finally become fully reliable after replacing the fuel system. The nitrile hoses that were originally fitted led to all manner of grief as they leeched vapour which led to fuel becoming either a goo or a powder in the filters and pump. After I ripped that all out and fitted the (braided) opaque plastic kinda hoses (sorry forget what the stuff is actually called) it never had any issues and was totally reliable.

Except for the starter motor which I replaced.

Anyway, I have 2 weeks off for Christmas and plan to continue removing stuff including the fuel lines and intake plenum so it's closer to getting the gearbox out and sorting the clutch.

My back has been an utter PIT er, back for some years now and leaning over the SW really does me no good at all. Can quickly get to the point where walking becomes near impossible hence it's been low on my to-do list. I used to love working on cars but frankly I'm just too damned old for that anymore.

Anyone wants to buy the SW hit me up with an offer over $20k for it as is. Once I fix it I'll have to decide if I flick it or the 86. The Jimny's a perfectly ok daily so whatever...

I believe the SW has at least 3 times that much coin invested in internals etc. Not an amateur build. So if I do part with it someone will be stoked.

Gotta say though, every time I open the shed and see its SWeet lines and remember its gnarliness I just buzz. LOL

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

E153 will top out at 274kph with 245/40R17 at 7200rpm. You'll need more RPM to go faster.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

mickeyduck wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:33 pm
Not necessarily Thomas. I could never replace it and it's one hell crazy fun thing to drive.
All the best with getting it sorted. I know the 86 is a great car but the sw20 is irreplaceable. Hopefully it goes easy on you.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Great to see your still with us Charlie. All the best with sale and hope all goes well for you.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

GDII wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:28 pm
E153 will top out at 274kph with 245/40R17 at 7200rpm. You'll need more RPM to go faster.
8,400 rpm is the current limit which is set by way of the ECU and can be dialled up if one wishes to get any more brave and the internals are nowhere near standard remember. Not my tyre or rim size either Phill.

No idea how fast my SW could get pushed to but I was very surprised some years ago to discover how fast one had managed to go with slightly less power and the only aero mod being the wing mirrors removed. Of course they might have messed with the final drive ratio or something.

Pretty sure I posted the info regards the world land speed record for a 2 litre boosted GT which was held by an SW that did an average of 356kmh over 2 passes at Bonneville some years back. But as this forum is now almost useless due to "SQL error too many connections" I'm stuffed if I can find the info for you mate.

https://docs.rackspace.com/docs/too-man ... r-in-mysql

Need to get hold of Michael.

In fact I want to rip my SW apart and sort that clutch but trying to access my posts regards how everything was put together etc seems almost impossible. After all those years of nurturing what surely was a world class resource of helpful tech info for MR2 owners... WTF has happened guys?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-12-25 at 12.10.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-25 at 12.10.14 PM.png (23.78 KiB) Viewed 553 times

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

The forum is not very popular these days with only a couple of us using it. Generally Michael keeps it going but must away over the holidays. Will follow your progress if you can keep thread going.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Hey Charlie, sorry to hear about your back. Even if your cars are gone you’re still with us. A nice light off road MR2 old boys ride and barbie should be on the agenda :!:
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

mickeyduck wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:46 pm
But as this forum is now almost useless due to "SQL error too many connections" I'm stuffed if I can find the info for you mate.

https://docs.rackspace.com/docs/too-man ... r-in-mysql

Need to get hold of Michael.
I was on holiday, I couldn't do too much from a phone for fighting the bots. Check the webmaster's blog. More connections is more RAM usage. The DB was protecting itself, the alternative is it uses too much RAM, the OS kills it and there's a chance of data corruption. I've got it right on the limit of the hardware ATM.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Benckj wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:49 pm
The forum is not very popular these days with only a couple of us using it.
Sadly Jim I guess that's what you get, if the thing won't even load a page.
Is it always like this or have I simply popped in at a bad time?

If the forum no longer works reliably and it's because as Michael says the settings for SQL connections can't be dialled up due to a lack of RAM and it's running on the cusp of what the hardware will allow... in my experience (as an IT systems architect and engineer) that suggests the current club management don't adequately value the resource the forum offers to MR2 owners, or the fact that the club and its forum was founded to help MR2 owners keep their cars going so they could have fun in them and thereby keep the club going too.

My Rides thread is the workshop manual for my SW. As its engine is bespoke, from internals to almost everything bolted on, it is the only reference on the planet that's any use to me. There are doubtless a number of other MR2OCNZ members in the club in a similar position. There certainly were a fair few with interesting builds on the Rides thread.

Hence when I handed the forum over to the care of others I retained a backup of the thing as was at the time.

I now have that running here at home for my own private use and have spent half my Christmas holidays arduously transposing the last 16 pages of my Rides thread which were posted here later, into the copy here at home, so I now have a functioning workshop manual for my SW.

I very much appreciate Michael's caring for the forum as best he can but I suspect the financial resource required to keep it in a useful state is no longer allocated by the club's policy makers.

Often as not it's been taking me 10 or more page refreshes just to get each page to load.

Occasionally I get a Cloudflare page saying all is well except for the club's site which is down.

New memberships fell from what to what last year...? Hmmm.

Having rescued this club's online presence - and therefore its very existence - from evaporation 13 years ago and rebuilt and nurtured it for the better part of a decade with a view to upholding the club's founding objectives I find the current situation disappointing. A valuable resource seems now near useless.

Then again, as you need to drive 100km out of Auckland these days to enjoy any back roads - thanks to pot-holes, MAMILs and drastically reduced speed limits - I guess it's in keeping with the state of play, at least if you're an Aucklander.

Seems the forum is not used much anymore (as it won't load a page) and the Auckland crew no longer seem to do much of anything either (as the roads here are as much use as a forum that won't load a page).

Seems an AWful pity. Back in the day we had some SWeet times. AWesome times.

In the words of Fleetwood Mac: "Oh well..."

P.S. Michael if you are running this on an EC2 maybe add a decent sized swap file to work around the RAM limitation and prevent the OS OOM beastie from killing MySQL, if you've not done so already? Works well on my Ubuntu EC2s on AWS...

And this forum has been working really well for wee patches of time too mate. Maybe you need to set up an auto-ban mechanism to get them bots under control or something? My EC2s use NGINX logs to trigger a bash script of mine to shut out bots etc via UFW if they have been a PITA. My script wouldn't necessarily suit your system but the idea works a treat for us.

Ok, will try to submit this post now. How many attempts will it take...? :lol:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

A: lots! And ages!

Statistically most folk give up and leave a site after a few seconds if it fails to respond.
They sure don't try refreshing the page for several minutes...
And they don't tend to come back.

Hey Phill, here you go mate...
Apologies, 352kmh was the fastest pass, the average was 339kmh.

Source is Wikipedia's page about the MR2 LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR2

Land speed record

In 1992, Dennis Aase, a member of Toyota's American factory team, became the first driver to achieve over 320 km/h (200 mph) in the cars class as he took his SW20 to a 339.686 km/h (211.071 mph) average. The car posted 326.697 and 352.068 km/h (203 and 218.765 mph) on the two opposing runs required for the record.

The car, which previously saw action at the Firestone Firehawk Endurance Championship by P. J. Jones, ran with a boost of 16 psi (1.1 bar) with changes to the intake and exhaust systems and the cam timing, output a maximum of 494 PS; 363 kW (487 hp). The car ran with its stock body apart minus wing mirrors and wiper blades. His attempt at improving his record the following year was thwarted by poor weather.

As of July 2015, the G/BGT record (Class G, Blown Grand Touring Sports or 2 Liter production turbo-charged GT) still stands.

And this:

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/218-mph-m ... st-5184926

Bill Strong
Bill Strong Discussion starter
37583 posts · Joined 1999
#5 · Jun 20, 2013

"The Aase Brothers stunned the land speed record fraternity by capturing
a world record their first time on the Bonneville Salt Flats. At the
SCTA World Finals October 16-18, Dennis Aase drove the Aase Brothers
prepared MR2 turbo to a class average speed record of 211.071 MPH. But
that wasn't his top speed. World records are based on the average of two
runs. Dennis posted a 203 MPH on his first pass, and an incredible
218 MPH plus on his second! The average, 211.071 MPH, is the new class
record in the 2.0 liter Production Turbocharged GT class. In fact, the
Aase Brothers' MR2 is the first 2.0 liter turbocharged production car
to crack the 200 MPH barrier at Bonneville. This Is the same MR2 that
won four Firestone Firehawk Endurance Championship races in 1991 in
the hands of P.J. Jones and Chip Hanauer. The only modifications allowed
at Bonneville, in addition to safety equipment, are changes to the
intake and exhaust system and the canshafts. The body must remain
stock, although the windshield wipers and door mirrors can be removed."

and this is an email that he sent to David Hawkins...

"2way average 211.071(return only 218.765 mph) . Motor makes 487hp@ 1.1 bar boost. This got me into the Bonnevile 200 mph club in 1993 and the record still stands for class
G/BGT class G blown GT. It was so easy that I prepared the car to go 240mph In 1993 but we got rained out,again in 1994 it looked like rain so I didn't go, then lost interest. The problem in 92 was that I ran out of gear so for 93 I had ENCO make me a tall 5th gear and fitted 27" tires to go 240.
As I may have mentioned, this car is one of 4 that I used to perform the contract with Toyota in 1991 racing in the IMSA Firestone Firehawk endurance series. This was P J Jones car in which he won 3 or 4 races that year.
The car has been in my garage since 1993. I have had Sakata Motorsports Electronics make up an elect harness and have installed a MOTEC motor management in the car as the engine didn't behave we'll with the Toyota Motorsports ECU. Keep in mind the car is not represented as prepped for the salt. I'm asking $18 K.
Thanks,
Dennis Aase"

Bill Strong
MR2OC Founder

Aase_SW_680.jpg
Aase_SW_680.jpg (123 KiB) Viewed 410 times
More photos here thanks to David Hawkins of TwosRus and Bill Strong of MR2OC (USA)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 728&type=1