Mickeyduck's machines

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Re: Mickeyduck's machines

Post by Swampy »

Those tyre sizes will work. I got(had) them on my sw. They will also have them in s001.

Re rim selection I think you're on the right track, something with a bit more bulk/meat to it is the way to go. Rally rims or rally-style rims usually tend to have a bit more to them, and I think once reading on oz's website (could've been them) that they design wheels like this for the additional strain rallying does take on wheels. Then again if they're aluminium alloy they're gonna get wrecked if you hit something hard enough, my wheel got wrecked and it was pretty beefy.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

mknz wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:18 pm
GDII wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:07 pm
Advan RG-D? :twisted: Actually specifically designed to clear large calipers.
I said the same thing too :P
A week or so ago I took a look through your Rides thread Phill and found a pic of your rims with their labelling so that I knew what they were.

Also managed to find the rims that did fit over my front brakes and they were Advan too. 17 x 7.5 @ 29 offset. Rear were 17 x 8.5.
Logan's just had them refurbished for his SW but they did fit my car SWeet.
https://mr2.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php? ... start=1637

Looking through the current offerings from Advan a set of these might be a go in the "Machining & Racing Hyper Black MHB" finish:

http://www.yokohamawheel.jp/brand/advan ... x_jpn.html

Phill if you look at the table on that page what sizes do you think might fit?

I was hoping to use a 17 x 7.5 and a 17 x 8.5 but looking at what's on offer...

17 x 8 at 37 offset up front perhaps?

They also do 17 x 8.5" at 31 offset.
That will take the tyre sizes I want to use. Probably too wide up front. Probably work well down the back.

They also do them in 17 x 9 at 35 offset.

Might put the feelers out for a set of Advan in 17 x 7.5 and 17 x 8.5 at about 30 offset cos that would likely be SWeet.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 4.21.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 4.21.48 PM.png (506.22 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

The wheels Logan has are Advan RG. The original ones. They are agreat looking wheel with a few cool options that followed on in the RGII and RGIII. Not a fan of the RG-D2 and RGIII with the sides of the spokes being machined out for lightness.

17x7.5+48 is not going to fit your car sadly. You will hit the coilover spring. What is your current setup?
Looking at fitment calculators the outside of the 7.5+29 Logan has is almost identical to the 8+37 however the 8 goes way in so you might have coilover clearance issues as I mention further on.

You will want 17x8+37 and 17x9+35. Good fitment but you will need a 7mm spacer min for the front to clear your coilovers. So maybe slap a 10mm in there for a +27 effective offset. However you have odd brakes and the offset of a typical wheel no longer applies?

I have 17x8+37 and went with 17x9+29 to change up the lip size. 38mm vs 56mm. It looks like both the 8+37 and 9+35 have the GTR wheel spoke design which gives a larger swooping effect from the outside of the wheel to the mounting face. Something my wheels don't have but the RG, RGII and RGIII offer. This should clear your brakes fine.

I'd provide reference for clearance of my suspension but we don't have the same sort so it's not useful.

What tyres do you want to use? 215/40 fit with a little stretch on an 8" and 245/40 fit the 9" with a little stretch but a 235/40 is more typical and won't rub if used on a 9+35. Not sure how your fronts will fit but they seem to stick way out already.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

mickeyduck wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:08 pm
..... My problem is finding a decent set of 17" rims that will fit over the Brembo front calipers and over-sized rotors. Anyway Jim has a very valid point. ......
It might even be easier/cheaper to check out some other brake setups. You might only need to change the disc and the caliper bracket to move the calipers in enough to clear a 17" rim. As you've said before Charlie, it was built as a show car so on 18's it looked good. I doubt you hardly ever, if at all, get anywhere near the braking limit of what you've got so you probably wouldn't even notice the difference if you went down in disc size.

Just a thought anyway......
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Logan

Post by THR4SHER007 »

Maybe look into these guys, they say they're the only NZ manufacturer of custom mag wheels.

https://www.arrowwheels.co.nz/custom-made-mag-wheels/
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

85AW20v wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:30 pm
It might even be easier/cheaper to check out some other brake setups. You might only need to change the disc and the caliper bracket to move the calipers in enough to clear a 17" rim... I doubt you hardly ever, if at all, get anywhere near the braking limit of what you've got so you probably wouldn't even notice the difference if you went down in disc size.
Too easy to lock up the fronts actually Simon, even at 200kmh or more cos the front brakes are way bigger than the rear ones. A set of RX8 rear rotors with caliper brackets and some fine tuning by way of a bias adjuster would fix that though.
THR4SHER007 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:19 am
Maybe look into these guys, they say they're the only NZ manufacturer of custom mag wheels.
https://www.arrowwheels.co.nz/custom-made-mag-wheels/
Thanks Logan, nice and local even if they aren't open Saturdays. Sounds like a good place to get rims refinished too. If Giltrap Prestige and Continental Cars have used them for over a decade they must be good.

Meanwhile, took Michelle for a blat in the red thing today, we did the Mac Nuts run up the south head of the Kaipara, did a fly-by of Shelly Beach and carried on home again. Softened the shocks a wee bit after we set off and it made a huge difference to the feel and handling. Funny how much difference 2 or 3 clicks out of 32 can make.

Definitely needs new rear tyres, can slide the arse around corners now although it still has more-than-legal tread across at least 3/4 of the width of the tyre. Running very well, nice and quick.

Bloody power steering decided not to work though which annoys the heck outta me. :roll: But it goes like stink and apart from today's power steering fault it seems to be really reliable now (having replaced the starter motor after Fielding). :lol:

Always a blast to drive, gotta give it that! Mad as. :twisted:

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Yep SW failed a WOF as the power steering wasn't working. Have swapped in another old relay and it's going again so hopefully I get a WOF this weekend. Discovered it will light up at about 80kmh in 2nd in the dry if I plant my foot so yeah it definitely needs new rear tyres. Just discovered there's a Potenza S001 in 245/35-18 which would eliminate the very annoying occasional rubbing on the guards. Not heard back about 17" rims so may just have to buy some of those tyres and stick with the 18" for now. The ride was pretty comfortable coming back from Shelly Beach the other day so hey, all good.

Been tossing up with flicking off either the AW or the SW. Not enough space in the shed to work on one with the other in there 2. If I keep the AW I'd want to fit a 2GR. Then the little blue 2 would be a 2-GRRRR....! It'd be bullet proof as long as cooling was sorted. Not like it'd have to work hard to push an AW along eh. A 2GR weighs about the same as a 4AG too so the handling would not be upset, until you broke traction. :lol:

Or do I flick off the AW and finish the SW? It is after all a madcap adventure to drive. Never fails to make me laugh that's for sure. And I totally love the crazy noises it makes. Everything from fah-fah-fah-foooom to WOOOMFFF!!! But then it's not as nimble as an AW, can't be thrown around with the same degree of hah!

What 2 do? 2 many decisions. Yep, one 2 many. LOL... :P

Anyone have a spare SW power steering relay?
This little guy, attached to an ECU kinda gizmo, right side in the frunk. Cheers.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.06.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.06.17 PM.png (746.94 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

You tried that trick flicking they key back and forth like 20 times? At least to get a WOF

GDII

Post by GDII »

mknz wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:25 am
You tried that trick flicking they key back and forth like 20 times? At least to get a WOF
Yeah, this thing. Works every time. Free fix. Another relay will just do the same thing at one point or another.

Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

This happened to mine about 6 months ago. Did the trick. Has been fine since. :D
Last edited by Mr-Paulio on Wed May 27, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

first happened to me once in a repco car park and can confirm that this works pretty much every time :lol:
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

mknz wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:25 am
LOL. Park car, leave keys in ignition, turned off, as instructed. Fella jumps in, sanitises car interior, door handles, key etc in case they are covid infected. WOF guy gets in, starts car. No power steering. Fail. :P

I did explain to him that when it does it you just need to turn it off and on until it works, and that they all do it...

Fail. :lol:

I might rob one from the other SW and take it with me for the re-check just in case... :idea:

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

I bet Phil can check the EWD and figure out what kind of relay it is :P then maybe just reuse the connectors and get a new generic one just to avoid this all over again

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

Probably just need one of these which you can find anywhere https://www.narva.com.au/products/68000

Some blade connections and just cut up the offender.

If you use a multimeter you should be able to figure which side is ground. I bet the two wire plug goes to the PS and the other to the ignition circuit. The only question is does the ignition ground or does it give 12v? Then just wire the opposite to the same pin you'd use for PS

GDII

Post by GDII »

mknz wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:23 pm
I bet Phil can check the EWD and figure out what kind of relay it is :P then maybe just reuse the connectors and get a new generic one just to avoid this all over again
Maybe I can?
mknz wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:28 pm
Probably just need one of these which you can find anywhere https://www.narva.com.au/products/68000

Some blade connections and just cut up the offender.

If you use a multimeter you should be able to figure which side is ground. I bet the two wire plug goes to the PS and the other to the ignition circuit. The only question is does the ignition ground or does it give 12v? Then just wire the opposite to the same pin you'd use for PS
The fuse it runs off is an 80AMP ABS so I don't know if the 40AMP relay would work. Suggestions for using Sold State Relays on other forums to stop this issue. REV1 JDM cars used a 60A FL ABS fuse to power this systm.

Plug B is P10 which is the large socket. This is switched power.
Plug A is P11 which is the small plug. This is the coil side.

Plug B pin 1 takes power from the 80A ABS fuse (60A FL ABS REV1 JDM)
Plug B pin 2 sends power to the motor and the driver

Plug A pin 1 takes signal from MRLY of the PS ECU to switch the PS Relay
Plug A pin 2 is ground. It also connects to ground off the PS ECU and the PS Driver.

Refer page 132-135 of the USDM 93 wiring diagram for reference.