Mickeyduck's machines

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Mark

Re: Mickeyduck's machines

Post by flying_wedge »

Ah I see, you were meaning the sticker still on the intercooler as the "S" word ... my misread there :oops:

Slightly more on topic, are you planning on keeping your battery in the engine bay or relocating elsewhere? Another good mod while you have the chance and likely to have the loom laid out on the floor is to change the wiring to do away with the s/c external regulator for an internal one. Much easier to find replacements when they die, and I have read somewhere they are a shared part number with some Honda and Mitsubishi models too? Plan for longevity 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

VERY good point re the IC reg Mark. I had it crap out once already in my T-top and it put the car off the road for a couple of weeks until I found one. Toyota told me hundreds of dollars and 6 weeks from Japan but I got a 2nd hand one thankfully. Hard to find as they are a VERY uncommon part. Funny idea, putting the IC reg in the boot eh? Anyone wrecking a Supercharger, be sure to rescue it from behind the forward lining in the right side of the boot. Labelled "IC Regulator".

I can't get my head around how many wreckers just biff all those electronic bits with the body. Nuts.

I have two spare regs now (one per AW) so probably leave the loom as is for now. Transplanting the supercharged NA engine into a SC car so just swap the engine loom I guess?

Can't help wondering if a lack of drivers door window switches might push AW's off the road first though... The ones rust didn't get (why I love my blue one). Unlockable = undrivable. Around here anyway.

Battery - again a good idea if considering weight distribution but I'll leave it where it is cos I drag a BBQ around for runs so frunk space is necessary for the gas bottle.

Two things I would like to do and have thought about for a long time: add vents to the bonnet so half the radiator air can vent up to add pressure above the car instead of below it... And make an aluminium diffuser to bolt up under the engine in place of the stupid highly flammable plastic standard cover. I have a spare bonnet and decent grille kinda stuff just need to throw time at that one. Diffuser needs a cardboard mockup I guess to take to a fabricator...

Hey I need to get the T-top going again first tho. :lol:

Tell you what - I'm starting to REALLY like the 18mm SW rear sway bar. Makes the manual tin-top AWSC with standard suspension handle real flat and if you add a little power (gently) in tighter corners you can power slide in a very nice controllable and fun fashion. LSD helps no doubt. I'm starting to really enjoy it eh. Just needs some RE11 instead of the RE002 so the tyres can slip without squealing (don't need the attention). Humbug to Firestone for not bringing in my size anymore. Muppets. In fact I need to write to their boss to try to change that. Hmmm... I want Toyota to produce spares that we need to keep these cars going too. Might need to start a thread for ID of those crucial bits. Then get everyone to sign a thread to use as an appendix to a letter for the Toyota boss, seeing as he's keen on their sporty image...

So much to do, so little time but hey who knows it might be worthwhile...?
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

A few of the club stalwarts came around on Sunday to rip the 4AGE out of that AW mess that's sitting in my driveway - Jared (born disturbed) Jason (JasonFriday13) and Alex (Sinturion). I really didn't have a clue what was involved and they basically did the job while I watched and learned. Have to say I'm stoked fellas. '89 NA now sitting there ready to be morphed into a supercharged overboosted high compression animal, to then be thrown back in the T-top. Oughtta put out about 200 horse when done I expect. Mmmm...

So hats off to these guys for their help cos it's that kinda spirit makes you realise this club is a gold mine of good spirit and expertise. Guys like that are what make it so.

Couple of pics...

Hooking up the engine to drop it.
IMG_0683.jpg
My mad wee trolley the engine landed on so we could move it. Cheap ply and some castor wheels and screws.
IMG_0685.jpg
Once the engine is on the trolley you raise the car off it. We didn't give a stuff about the body cos this car's stuffed but normally (as I understand it) you would use the tow eyes on the rear bumper and put a bit of 4 x 2 against the bumper to save it getting dented...
IMG_0687.jpg
Engine out of the car. Next weekend's kinda busy with the Toyota open wheelers at Hampton's on Saturday (thanks for the free tickets Toyota and MR2OCNZ) and the Rocket Run on Sunday. The weekend after we'll finish stripping the wreck and maybe the following one I'll build the new engine... T-top might be mobile again within a few weeks thanks to good fellas from this club. Nice. 8)
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
IMG_0692.jpg

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Redmist
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: John

Post by Redmist »

mickeyduck wrote: I sit in the 4,000 to 7,000 rpm range almost all the time when driving the manual eh. Even in suburbia.
The Holden was a three speed was it not.
C52 is about 124mph. The E51 theoretically is about 180mph but then there is the speed cut at 124mph, something to do with rules and regs. Rumored with out speed cut 145mph.

born disturbed
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jared

Post by born disturbed »

Always happy to help Charlie, was a good day for it & managed not to fry my head in the sun :)

I was thinking about the car lifting problem for a bit & I believe I can make something up to slide into the cassis rails for future jobs that would prevent any marking to bumpers etc. I will have a play with some steel when I weld up my bike rack.

Will be jolly good to get that T-top of yours running before summer runs out

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Jared, we'll simply fit a "who cares" spare rear bumper to hoist on mate. :idea:
Hook up to its tow eyes, who cares about it if it's just a spare reserved for that purpose...?
Front irons are rare in good nick, not back ones.
John suggested a piece of 4 x 2 on the bumper to guard against the chains but I have two spares anyway. Might try the timber too tho, why not? Waste not...

John the '66 Holden was 3 speed until I fitted an M21 at which point it became 4 speed to about 140mph. To hell with crash boxes eh. :wink:
It was happiest between 5,000 and 7,500 rpm, being Bathurst XU-1 spec.

Interesting figures on the AW boxes, sells me on the E51 at those numbers... Just need more herbs (can be arranged).
As for speed cut... must clean up, reassemble and fit that 240kmh speedo for the SC with the E51 8)

Reuban
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Reuban

Post by Reuban »

for lifting on my sw' i just use the engine mount bolts, i figure they are made to be as strong as poss' around there

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

And if you don't have an engine crane like me, you can get the car up high enough with a trolley jack and axle stands to slide the motor out to the back. I usually sit it on an old piece of carpet or cardboard from a packing box to slide it out on.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

One more sleep to go and mickeyduck's machines may just be boosted by a bit... Quite a big bit at that. :twisted:

Buzzing buzzing buzzing...

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

NEK MINNIT.

:mrgreen:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Drove it home tonight.

Stoked beyond belief. Scott's handiwork is simply astounding. What a beautiful machine.

Still need to get to grips with standing starts where the twin plate clutch is concerned, though I must say it is way more drivable than I'd imagined. Mind you, I have the boost turned down to half horsepower... I'll gradually turn it up as I get accustomed to it cos there's NO WAY in Hell I want to trash this immensely impressive MR2 by way of a "whoops".

This thing is simply something else.

I'm utterly stoked.

Wow.
IMG_0756.jpg

Curly
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Pam

Post by Curly »

That corner is very nice. Where's the rest of it?
Pamela Harris
Secretary 2009-2014
Otago Area Coordinator 2005-2009
Standin AC from 2016 to 2019
LIFE MEMBER from 2014
2000 Toyota ZZW30

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark