spyderballers work in progress

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
thelinuxwarrior
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shane

Re: spyderballers work in progress

Post by thelinuxwarrior »

I'm going to steal my brothers thread here to introduce our new super race machine we brought for the 2K cup :D
buster.jpg
buster.jpg (167.81 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Have installed ebc yellows, Penrite 10 teeths oil, Penrite Pro Gear (Makes the grearbox feel awesome).
Car was done around 290,000km/s so very well tested, flew through a warret of fitness needing nothing but a bulb and a tie rod (solid pass for any 24yr old car)

Now as the 2K cup frowns on dents we had our work cut out on this car, attached is a photo of a dent in the roof:
dent.jpg
dent.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Now this would normally require punching the dent out, bog (weight!!!) and a bit of paint. After pulling a dent out with the toilet plunger I decided I had to get serious,
As I decide that brakes were more important (poor student), I came up with a better solution...
fixed.jpg
fixed.jpg (150.81 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Very simple to apply, very quick to dry and recommend to all :twisted: Dent has been fully removed.

On a serious note, I stole the seat from fstmr2 and made up some seat rails. Photo makes it look like the "rail" is pushed in a bit, but they do sit flush against each other.
seatmount.jpg
seatmount.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Havn't got a final photo but have added washers / spring washers etc. Should meet motorsport requirements, 6mm alum, high tensile bolts, stock mount points etc
*Edit: Also the seat is sitting forwards 2(ithink) holes so fits alot better on the rail than in this photo.
seat.jpg
seat.jpg (94.3 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Seat will make a big difference, took it to a play day to give it a shakedown and at times I was almost needing to change gear with my right hand I had moved over that much :shock:

Todo list is growing before round 1 but should be great fun :D :D

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Cool. I need to keep an eye on this. Keep me posted guys it'd be fun to tag along to some of your outings. :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

thelinuxwarrior
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Yea definitely,
The first round is on 27th (might overflow to 28th) september
I'm terrible with names but there were a couple others on the last mr2 run that are also entered.

Unfortunately the champtionship the mr2's have been put in is called the Hairdressers Champtionship :evil:
Will have to show everyone what a mr2 can do :D

thelinuxwarrior
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

buster.jpg
buster.jpg (113.97 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Couple of thing's wrong in this picture:
* Hampton downs is to the left.
* We didn't leave home with a car trailer.

Was at a playday in the morning and then in the afternoon the 2k cup was having a track day at hamptons. Didn't make it to that.
First 2 sessions in the dry were alot of fun, then started pooring with rain. Was probably the best experience for me, gave me a much better understanding of weight transfer with the MR2.
After the hairpins the engine started knocking like a dedicated jehovah witness.

Not unexpected but surprised today was the day... Engine had around 300,000km on it so pretty flogged.

Went to zebra parts today and pickup what we hope to be a good engine. Car had 160,000km on the clock, just pasted a warrent and had decent panel damage at the back with panel beating arrows on it.
So we are hoping that it was an insurance write-off and engine should be good. (A bit of a gamble but hopfully pays off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Pulled rocker cover off and looks pretty clean.
engine.jpg
engine.jpg (83.66 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Has the black top exhaust manifold which means its fast </joke>

Happened right after I got paid so maybe the best time but the money for FSTMR2's rims just vanished... :( so maybe next month we can get both going again

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

While it's out, pull the sump off and check the bearings. It might have been upside down or something like that and a set of bearings before you put it in might just keep it going.

See ya
Simon