Olaf's '92 MR2 GT

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Olaf's '92 MR2 GT

Post by Benckj »

I think the wording of compliance doc states something along the lines of not being able to be controlled with cab. I have an electric cut-off valve on my 3sgte but I won't state where the control switch is located.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Benckj wrote:I think the wording of compliance doc states something along the lines of not being able to be controlled with cab. I have an electric cut-off valve on my 3sgte but I won't state where the control switch is located.
From the VIRM:
"Reason for failure
11-1 Exhaust system:
4. The exhaust system is so constructed or modified that its operation or effectiveness can be readily interfered with, eg the driver is able to interfere with the exhaust system by operating a manual switch, or the exhaust is fitted with a flame thrower kit."

There are vehicles which have a factory adjustable muffler in which an electric motor opens one of the exhaust tips when the throttle goes a certain percentage towards WOT (example from the top of my head: R33 Skyline). They all tend to be broken/worn out by now though.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

So if I was to have an exhaust that I could open manually, all I would have to do is have it open automatically (throttle percentage perhaps) - however I'd want it to then stay open until I didn't, instead of closing at each gear change.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

By stating the driver cannot manually open valve infers that it cannot be in cab. Could install cable operated exhaust valve and simply put lever which controls it in the engine bay. If your interested I may have a 2" valve used on my first conversion that came off a Subi muffler.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Scratch making a new thread, there is no need!

Have ordered a full gasket kit through Toyota, it is coming from Japan. Having the headgasket replaced, plus the rest of the engine looked at and anything needing replaced will be replaced. Alternator will be rebuilt. While it's away I will be getting the toms spoiler and snorkel I've had for nearly 2 years painted and ready to chuck on. I have a boss kit so I can chuck on a 280mm steering wheel. Been far too unconstructive lately. No motivation. Once I can drive the mr2 whenever I can, it will give me more inspirations.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

ClanFever wrote:Scratch making a new thread, there is no need!

Have ordered a full gasket kit through Toyota, it is coming from Japan. Having the headgasket replaced, plus the rest of the engine looked at and anything needing replaced will be replaced. Alternator will be rebuilt. While it's away I will be getting the toms spoiler and snorkel I've had for nearly 2 years painted and ready to chuck on. I have a boss kit so I can chuck on a 280mm steering wheel. Been far too unconstructive lately. No motivation. Once I can drive the mr2 whenever I can, it will give me more inspirations.
Rings and bearings while your there . run it in nicely (3rd gear with a little boost ) and it will be sweet.........
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.