Rowan's yellow SW

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Sn1tzr
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Rowan

Rowan's yellow SW

Post by Sn1tzr »

2013 for me was a year of big changes, the major one being that i moved to Wellington to go to university. This meant a huge change of lifestyle, managed to transfer my job and cut down to part time but the lack of disposable income meant changes had to be made. I hung on as long as i could (too long in hindsight) to my pride and joy - my BMW 328CI Schnitzer tune.
She was thirsty and maintenance was a nightmare, but i loved it.

I had wanted an Mr2 for as long as i can remember, and when I got a good price for the BMW on trademe started looking at 6-7k worth of low k's turbos. However not ever finding quite what i was looking for. One day i was browsing autotrader when i came across an mr2 G-lim for $1500 with only one low res picture and the worst written listing ever. The car was in Christchurch so i had a friend take a look for me and did a bit of negotiating and $1000 later i had an mr2 and barely run in at 266tho kms. Parents lived in christchurch so have been down with them over xmas to pick it up and do a little bit of work on it ;)

First drive. Doesn't cruise like a Bimmer but damn can it go round a corner.

Almost immediately did a oil, coolant and thermostat change. Knew nothing of the cars history so needed to know what i was working with.

First thing was to loose those wheels and put some nice wide, forged Nissan GTR rims on it

Inspired by the wikipedia mr2 ofcourse :)

Test fitting new rims

The brakes were awful so got some new rotors, pads and fluid and gave the calipers a good clean up. These brembo pads are awesome btw, give them a**holes and never felt fade and always sharp

New suspension bushings and shiney new sway bar link ends :)

Had a bit of an oil leak somewhere, thought it was the rocker cover. That fixed about 75% of the leak but still burns a little, will do the sump gask next oil change.

When i got it it looked like it hadn't been washed in over a year....
Dont be fooled by my photography - the paint is really quite faded and peeling in places

So impressed with how well it keeps up (or outruns ;) ) my mates cars.

So yep, thats my mr2 story. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys, on runs and whatnot.

Also keen for suggestions on mods and whatnot.

TVIS
Guest of the Club.
First name: .

Re: Rowan's yellow SW

Post by TVIS »

Hey man, hope to see your MR out on the roads in Wellington. If you see a random waving at you/flashing lights its probably one of us. I'd be keen to have a gander over your car sometime in a future run too :D

Sn1tzr
Guest of the Club.

Post by Sn1tzr »

TVIS wrote:Hey man, hope to see your MR out on the roads in Wellington. If you see a random waving at you/flashing lights its probably one of us. I'd be keen to have a gander over your car sometime in a future run too :D
Sounds great! I look forward to it

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Welcome to the world of 2's. Looks like you already have a hnle on the basics and have invested in some good rubber. Too many new owners learn the hard way by going backwards through corners.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Sn1tzr
Guest of the Club.

Post by Sn1tzr »

Benckj wrote:Welcome to the world of 2's. Looks like you already have a hnle on the basics and have invested in some good rubber. Too many new owners learn the hard way by going backwards through corners.
Thanks, even though i'm running 225's on the rear it still feels pretty slippery in the wet (reasonably easy to control though). Going to need new tires for next wof so will see if i can find something with a bit more grip.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

There are a couple of good tyre threads on this forum which evaluate options. Most owners end up getting larger wheels (17") so it will open up selection. Toyo's are often a good choice. Make sure you keep the staggered set-up with at least 20mm difference between front & rear. Depending on wheel offset can generally fit 235 in rear with 215 up front.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Sn1tzr
Guest of the Club.

Post by Sn1tzr »

Hey guys, just an update on my sw!

Unfortunately in april it was taken out by a courier van. The courier van was determined at fault and after a lot of messing around his insurance have decided to write off my mr2.

Its not actually tooooo badly damaged, and its got some great parts on it. Insurance have offered me the "wreck" for $500. Just wondering.... if i took that offer would anyone be interested in some of my parts? Has R32 GTR 16X8s and honda S2K seats on mr2 rails.

Alternatively, anyone want to make a better offer than $500 for an mr2 AIWI no wof no reg. Currently in Levin.

Heres some pics

Message me here or text/call 021633717

Cheers all!!

Rowan.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Sorry to hear about the accident and vehicle write off. I'd say you would easily make the $500 back on seats + wheels but all depends on your circumstances and cost of shipping parts. I'd certainly look at them if you were a bit closer.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

mine ... will call you later

Sn1tzr
Guest of the Club.

Post by Sn1tzr »

Hey guys,

Really sorry i wasnt able to save anything until insurance made an offer i couldn't refuse on writing off the car. If anyones interested will be auctioned at manheim Palmy North by the guy who hit me insurance company.

http://www.manheim.co.nz/damaged-vehicl ... rchResults" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "wreck" was valued at $500 but selling as auction.