THE PRUDE - is up for sale now :(

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Barark's SW now MR2Pearl's Prude

Post by Benckj »

I'd really appreciate some help/expertise on this. I'll provide the beers and the cook up... you provide the tools and the muscle
Tempting to jump on a plane to come and help!

Hope it all goes well and you get back on road without too many issues. Take plenty of pics and keep us posted on progres.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Alex

Post by Sinturion »

Might be an idea to talk to the AC and organise a spanner day. I may be able to help depending on when things are happening. I have an engine crane too.

It would also be an idea to line up any maintenance items before the engine goes in - clutch, rear main seal, gaskets, cambelt, waterpump etc.
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Glad you finally scored an engine Kylie - even if it is the same one I asked for a price on nearly a year ago... :roll:
Maybe I'll do the bearings in Isaac's SW and find an auto box for it...
Is Ken sending you the auto box as well? I still need one.
Seeing as you can get an answer outta him and I can't, can you find out for me please and maybe I can throw a little extra cash into it and get the box here too?

As for spanner days or assistance I have a comment to make - and this is directed at anyone reading this thread. Anyone here can ask others for assistance, and offer to put together a good feed / box of beers etc. Go for it. And very often you do find that there are really good helpful people in this club who do know what they are doing and are able to help. For example I believe Reuban offered Kylie his time way back but she was unable to obtain an engine at the time...

But please remember that everyone in this club has the same right to earn a living or manage their own time. The club is here to help us keep our cars going, and it often results in people helping each other out, which is great. But please don't ever think that you can simply expect to obtain parts or assistance for free. And please don't ever volunteer someone else's time. Volunteer your own.

I need help with some engine swaps etc myself at the moment, and I know the guy that'll be helping me is very busy and works weekends to make ends meet. I'm happy to fix someone like that up as I'd rather have my work done by a club member who knows what he's doing and who cares about the end result. There's a number of folk here who invest their weekends repairing MR2's for the sake of getting ahead a wee bit so don't be scared to ask them for help - but it might cost you a little more than a few beers. And in my books that's fair enough.

On the other hand if you do obtain help for the price of a box of beers etc (and I've been fortunate enough to have enjoyed this myself in the past) then just remember to reciprocate the kindness if you have the opportunity. If you can't reward assistance in kind (ie you aren't mechanically gifted or don't have spare time) then perhaps you have some parts that the other guy wants? For example when we had a wee spanner day here to rip an old AW apart, Alex came away with a nice brake booster (that I had wanted for my own car as it's better than mine) and Jared took home the entire interior trim...

People like Graham have long been brilliant at ripping in to help others with their cars and that's absolute gold. Bummer you're in Oz mate. In fact if I were Kylie I'd be taking you up on your offer and throwing you a plane ticket. My point however is simply that being in this club, or on this forum, doesn't give anyone a right to simply expect assistance from others. If people offer their time or parts, or even just their advice, then let's be thankful for it and remember that we are very fortunate to be in such good company. Cos it's a privilege, not a right.

This isn't a dig at Kylie or anyone else. I'm merely posting this here because a lot of folk have been watching this thread and others are likely to bump into it in future, and I'm all too aware of how many folk join the forum and the first thing they ever post is "I need help... beers and BBQ on offer..." Damn shame we don't run a nation-wide business... :lol:

This thread has given me an idea. I'm going to create a section where club members can start their own thread for a spanner day. No A/C required. :idea:

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the Pearl back on the road and on a run! You might have a serviceable MR2 before I do... :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Not a bad idea Charlie, although possibly they may need to contact the ac just in case it's gonna clash with an event especially if the ac hasn't posted yet. Or even better the ac then may even make an event out of it especially if the person has somewhere to support a few cars!
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I'm thinking I simply give club members the power to set up their own spanner days Olaf, in a section especially dedicated to it. That way the spanner days will have better visibility so more chance of others spotting them and rocking up to help, plus they won't need to worry about the A/C at all. As for a clash with an event, it will simply come down to who posted first, which is all good. Face it, how often do I post an event and it's only afterwards that someone tells me it clashes with a motorsport thing or some such...? Way too easy to do. :lol:

OK here we go: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Barark
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Viv

Post by Barark »

Charlie, it came with the gearbox, so i guess you will be over on the spanner day to take that away? hahahahahaha

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Barark wrote:Charlie, it came with the gearbox, so i guess you will be over on the spanner day to take that away? hahahahahaha
Sure, that'd be great. You might have to post a spanner day up first though... :wink:

PM me what you want for the gearbox.

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.
First name: Kylie

Post by MR2Pearl »

mickeyduck wrote:
Barark wrote:Charlie, it came with the gearbox, so i guess you will be over on the spanner day to take that away? hahahahahaha
Sure, that'd be great. You might have to post a spanner day up first though... :wink:

PM me what you want for the gearbox.
For Charlie:

Best way to contact Ken is through Facebook :twisted:

Anyway, when discussing getting the engine up here from Ken, I told him that you were VERY keen on the gearbox, so I told him to leave it attached so you can come collet it from me. However; I did not arrange to pay for the gearbox, so you may still need to organise a price with him. I have his phone numbers too, so I'll PM them to you later (as I'm at work right this minute).

He did let me know the entire engine and gearbox has been drained of fluids, so when we take it apart we shouldn't have a massive mess. But when I do decide on a date for the spanner day, I'll definitely let you (and everyone else) know. To be honest it may not be for a few more weeks yet as it has to work around my schedule and Viv's. But an engine lift was cheap as chips to hire. When I have spoken to some of those with the expertise who may be able to help, I could ascertain a date too.

Fair dinkum about the beersies too. There would be no way in hell I would take advantage of all the work and effort in engine swapping and expect a dozen beer to be suffice reparation and I might take Graham up on his offer for aid too and fly him over. And if I can pin Reuban down... I'd love his help too. You guys are a great bunch and there's no way you'd be able to stop me getting my hands dirty (or crushed) either.

Anyway, I'll continue with this later... gotta get back to work.
Kylie

'91 N/A SW20 T-Top (The Prude) - currently for sale :(

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

SWeet. Thanks Kylie. I do hope you're the first to post up a Spanner Day in the new section of the forum. And if you do host one I'd certainly like to be there.

Don't crush your hands working on the car - Viv would not be impressed, I'm sure.

As for Reuban I have him tied up for a few weeks yet I reckon. We have 4 MR2's to fix.

If you do call Graham's bluff, he would certainly bowl the job in no time flat and I'm sure he'd not mind freezing his arse off in chilly NZ for a weekend. :wink: Trans Tasman tickets are pretty darn cheap too as a rule...

Glad you guys have the AW in action anyway. You might make this weekend's run, whereas it'll be the first one I miss in over ten years.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

MR2Pearl wrote:and I might take Graham up on his offer for aid too and fly him over.
If you want a cheaper option, I'll come up for the cost of gas money, and I'll bring most of the tools I use when doing my engine conversions (swaps are second nature to me now :D ).
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Fark me, how many broken MR2s are there in that city? :shock:

In all seriousness though, IF there were a) enough cars to work on, b) a decently equipped area to work in and c) a spannamana weekend set up for the first weekend of October (our labour long weekend) I could rock up. More cars to work on, the better! (cheaper too :mrgreen: )

Weather aint an issue, Charlie - I'm the only one walking around in t-shirts and its 14 degrees out. People think i'm screwed up or something :mrgreen:

So who else has stuff that needs fixing? haha :P

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Jason - With the cost of gas for you poor bastards + gen3 turbo, it'd probably a good proportion of my fare already :P

I'd pay myself over anyways, would be worth it just to get ferried about and catch up with you buggers for the first time in 3 years :P

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Yeah, maybe. The last mileage I did on the turbo was 8.7L/100km, so it's not as thirsty as your RX7 was :D.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.
First name: Kylie

Post by MR2Pearl »

EssDub wrote:In all seriousness though, IF there were a) enough cars to work on, b) a decently equipped area to work in and c) a spannamana weekend set up for the first weekend of October (our labour long weekend) I could rock up. More cars to work on, the better! (cheaper too :mrgreen: )

My neighbour needs his engine swapped out too! I'm going to drop him a note in his letterbox tonight regarding the spanner day I just posted.

EssDub wrote:Jason - With the cost of gas for you poor bastards + gen3 turbo, it'd probably a good proportion of my fare already :P

I'd pay myself over anyways, would be worth it just to get ferried about and catch up with you buggers for the first time in 3 years :P

Hoping like heck I have the best luck in the WORLD!!! Be so great if you could come over! Might be some marae styles going on in my living room or bucking in one of the kids rooms, but I'd make you and my mate fit. This is his weekend off, so he's coming down.

Side note: he's my daughter's dad but we get on pretty well considering :wink:
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12355
Kylie

'91 N/A SW20 T-Top (The Prude) - currently for sale :(

spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Hayden

Post by spyderballer »

Do the Rear main oil seal. Its cheap (est $15) and you'll be guttered if you don't and it leaks oil afterwards.