THE PRUDE - is up for sale now :(

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Barark
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Viv

Re: Barark's SW now MR2Pearl's Prude

Post by Barark »

dammit grrr, was just about to think up something awesome to brag about.... Feels a hell of a lot better with those sways in it.

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Kylie

Post by MR2Pearl »

So... with the help of the amazing Jason (JasonFriday13) - better than Spiderman that guy! He almost single-handed-ly took over management of my engine swap... and has done an F'ing AWESOME job! My car is actually running... took it for a drive to re-bed the brakes and man! I have missed it. Also... almost forgot how to drive a manual a couple of times. First time was when leaving the driveway when I dropped the clutch to quickly and took off like a bat out of hell and (not that my passenger noticed) but I almost stalled it while braking...lol But it wasn't all smiles when we got back... :evil:

Anyway, got some piccies here:

Jason... doing most of the work. Attaching the gearbox to the new engine.

Gearbox on... nearly ready to go back in, need to tighten up some bolts and put that starter on :wink:

Ready for take off! Engine is under the car... i'm getting really excited at this stage.

Jason, doing a quick check before we raise the engine up.

Slowly, slowly... raising the engine up into place.

My mate, Dylan, lining the engine up onto the mount

Engine is and the boys are attaching the axles and everything back into place

I managed to get out from behind the camera and get my hands dirty (all of two minutes!)

Someone thought it was time for beers... Viv turns up (he went out with his mates for his birthday the night before and got home at 4pm-ish) and he decides the beers had come out... good times!

Car has changed position, but as you can see, it's not all tickity-boo

Gearbox oil is leaking out, discovered the left hand side gear seal isn't doing it's job... unfortunately, this late on a Sunday... no chance of getting the required part. Tomorrow it'll be a quick phone call to BNT to sort it out and hope for the best.

Big thanks to Dylan and Jason for doing such an amazing job... so close to getting it on the road again, I can almost smell the Raglan salty air. :mrgreen:
Kylie

'91 N/A SW20 T-Top (The Prude) - currently for sale :(

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Good work Kylie. You must be very pleased.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.

Post by MR2Pearl »

Benckj wrote:Good work Kylie. You must be very pleased.
I am totally stoked. There is a lot more bits and pieces this car really needs to make it a heck of a lot better (when I say better, I actually mean "user-friendly"... lol) but right now, I'm just glad it's going and can now be taken in for a WOF... hopefully pass and get a registration for the Raglan run.

I'm not exactly sure how to say thanks to Jason in a way that can really express my immense gratitude for all his amazing work! For a young man, he certainly knows these MR2's inside, outside and back to front. I'm so grateful for his help.
Kylie

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Yep Jason is certainly a top bloke. I'll vouch for that. :D

You might want to get the seals sorted before Raglan Kylie. Or hold off until a January run. Now that the Prude is finally coming together for you, I wouldn't want to see you lose a gearbox half way through the run. That would surely suck...
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

TVIS
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: .

Post by TVIS »

Good stuff Jason!

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.

Post by MR2Pearl »

mickeyduck wrote:Yep Jason is certainly a top bloke. I'll vouch for that. :D

You might want to get the seals sorted before Raglan Kylie. Or hold off until a January run. Now that the Prude is finally coming together for you, I wouldn't want to see you lose a gearbox half way through the run. That would surely suck...
It's already being taken care of Charlie :wink: Was at BNT 8am this morning getting one and left the boys in charge of it before heading off to work :P
Kylie

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Good stuff. :)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.

Post by MR2Pearl »

She's warranted, registered and hanging out 'til pay day for gas. Then I can take her for a long test cruise on Saturday.
Kylie

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Awesome! :D . There were a few minor problems we had, and we found them and fixed them. I also changed the headlight bulbs, and fixed the mis-aligned right headlight trim. I also lined the panel back up so that the trim will never catch again. The door didn't close very well so I re-aligned the glass, closes with much less force now. The axle seal only took an hour to do. The swap itself took around 15 hours from dead-engine-in-car to drivable car. Very straight forward swap. Don't be surprised if you see an auto engine loom for sale with the O2 sensor plug missing!
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.

Post by MR2Pearl »

JasonFriday13 wrote:Awesome! :D . There were a few minor problems we had, and we found them and fixed them. I also changed the headlight bulbs, and fixed the mis-aligned right headlight trim. I also lined the panel back up so that the trim will never catch again. The door didn't close very well so I re-aligned the glass, closes with much less force now. The axle seal only took an hour to do. The swap itself took around 15 hours from dead-engine-in-car to drivable car. Very straight forward swap. Don't be surprised if you see an auto engine loom for sale with the O2 sensor plug missing!
Hahahaha - Auto Loom for Sale! O2 sensor is missing... BUT... it comes with an ECU! And if anyone needs and auto spacer... we did find it hiding in the wrap I used for covering the engine.

You may have re-aligned the glass so the door closes with less effort, but now it leaks. Washed the car today and water went all down the inside of the window... never had that happen before (it never leaked even though it's a targa top)... Oh well.
Kylie

MR2Pearl
Guest of the Club.

Post by MR2Pearl »

Today I took advantage of a school trip to Sunset Beach, Port Waikato and gently but not too gently drove my car out there. She's perfect! Spoke to a mechanic that happened to be in BNT when I popped in who has had some experience with SW20's and asked him a question...

"Why does this engine not give a little extra boost at 3K rpm (or there abouts) like the last one did?" answer... "Cam-timing"

Either I have the cam-timing wrong in the new engine (which I checked like 100 times) or the cam-timing was wrong on the old engine.

However; he also mentioned that he doesn't recall ever driving one that gave a little extra power at any stage, so my new engine is probably just right and better than the old one (funny thing is, anything is better than my old one, as my old one didn't work at all... lol)

So... either the old engine was lagging at lower revs and I only felt the kick at 3K rpm because the engine was catching up (cambelt done by stupid workshop) and then new engine is perfect and running EXACTLY the way it should.

OR

I have f'ed up the cam-timing when my Grandfather and I changed the cambelt... which can't really have happened... I checked multiple places, manuals, websites, other MR2 forums, etc. for the correct setting.

Can someone shed some light on this? Is there a little extra kick in the N/A SW20's at around the 3K rpm point or is it all just smooth accelerating?

Anyway... like I was saying...

I took her out to Sunset Beach for a drive and she was beaut to drive, never missed a beat and the road was gorgeous! Corners, straights, the occasional bump and sunshine everywhere.

Stopped in by the river on the way back for some MR2 scenery... she's not clean yet though... sorry

Then got her home and gave her a wash and cleaned the windows and a bit of muck around the door frames/sills

That's her good side :wink:
Kylie

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Could be hesitation due to misfire. Then again, could be a lot of things. Best get it checked by someone.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Hayden

Post by spyderballer »

Depending on how fussy you are there is more than 1 way to setup a cambelt correctly. E.g its common to have it seem 1/4 1/2 of a tooth out. Setting it up so the exhaust cam is retarded would be the best setup in this situation.

Have you checked ignition timing with a timing light? Also check that the acis flaps vacumn line is connected.

How severe is the diffirence?

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

MR2Pearl wrote:You may have re-aligned the glass so the door closes with less effort, but now it leaks. Washed the car today and water went all down the inside of the window... never had that happen before (it never leaked even though it's a targa top)... Oh well.
Interesting, the height stops will probably need adjusting up a little, but there's nothing I could do about the small gap down the back of the glass (door isn't straight, got a dent in it).
MR2Pearl wrote:Spoke to a mechanic that happened to be in BNT when I popped in who has had some experience with SW20's and asked him a question...

"Why does this engine not give a little extra boost at 3K rpm (or there abouts) like the last one did?" answer... "Cam-timing"

Either I have the cam-timing wrong in the new engine (which I checked like 100 times) or the cam-timing was wrong on the old engine.

However; he also mentioned that he doesn't recall ever driving one that gave a little extra power at any stage, so my new engine is probably just right and better than the old one (funny thing is, anything is better than my old one, as my old one didn't work at all... lol)
This sounds about right. There shouldn't be a kick at 3000 rpms, mine didn't on both the gen 2 and gen 3 engines. I used to own a car just like yours and the only "kick" I got out of it was when the ACIS valve opens at roughly 4700 rpm.
spyderballer wrote:Have you checked ignition timing with a timing light? Also check that the acis flaps vacumn line is connected.
The dizzy hasn't been touched from the look of it, but the new cam belt can put the timing off a little, so yeah, checking the ignition timing is something that should be done. And yes the ACIS vacuum hoses are connected.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car