[SOLD] mknz's SW20 (Formerly Alex's)

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Alex's SW20

Post by Benckj »

Glad you got silver buttons sorted. they look like something off a dog collar. Same trick works for bending a scraping inside wheel lip from running over size tyres. Just heat up and work lip upwards with small rubber mallet.

The only shop I know who checks speed accuracy is VTNZ. Most shops would not have a means to check. Believe WOF requirments are based around tyre size being within 5% of factory spec as listed on inside door jamb. Other requirement is that they do not protrude outside wheel arch. My wording is probably not verbatim form LSTA but sure others will correct me if I'm not 100% correct.

BTW having an inaccurate speedo is no defence for speeding infridgements. Can always check against a GPS unit when cruising down road and compensate with light right foot.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Alex

Post by Dontcopy »

Thought I might as well do an update on this.

The Megasquirt MS3 Pro arrived last week, should be hours of fun to wire up :P

Front a Rear 20mm sway bars.

Other things include new Radiator, FPR, Fuel Pump, Hoses, fittings, Flywheel, Pressure Plate and some exhaust parts :)

And this interesting comparison with Godzilla

Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I'm impressed Alex with the MS3-Pro purchase. I have been contemplating this purchase for quite some time. Keep us posted on how you get on with the wiring & programming. Did you manage to get through Customs OK or did they ping you for GST and duty?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Benckj wrote:I'm impressed Alex with the MS3-Pro purchase. I have been contemplating this purchase for quite some time. Keep us posted on how you get on with the wiring & programming. Did you manage to get through Customs OK or did they ping you for GST and duty?
It should be interesting, as far as I can tell nobody has done a MS3 Pro with a 2GR-FE before. I got it through the Megasquirt Rep in Tauranga, it was $1600 including GST which isn't too bad compared with the alternatives.
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

That's not too bad. I'm looking at buying direct with a new PNP MS3 model which includes OEM connections and MAP sensor for approx $1,400NZD to suit gen3 3sgte. Add GST onto that and its up to the same as what you bought for.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

That's not too bad. I'm looking at buying direct with a new PNP MS3 model which includes OEM connections and MAP sensor for approx $1,400NZD to suit gen3 3sgte. Add GST onto that and its up to the same as what you bought for.
You might be able to get away with the slightly cheaper Megasquirt? I'm pretty sure the rep mentioned that the MS3 Pro is overkill for the 3SGTE. However I could be very wrong lol
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

I heard that all megasquirt 1 and most megasquirt 2 setups only have 2 injector outs and 2 ignition outs, so for 4 cylinder engines the injectors have to be grouped, and the ignition has to be either dizzy or wasted spark.

Even Link's G4 Atom has 4 injector outs and 4 ignition outs, meaning sequential fuel and ignition out of the box for 4 cylinder engines. I have a G4 Storm and apart from the 8V out I've used every wire.

Interesting, the price has dropped a couple of hundred: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... dCategory=.

[edit] The MS3 pro is better suited for more than 4 cylinder setups for people that are cost concious, as over 2 grand for a G4 Extreme is a bit excessive for a bone stock engine.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

The MS3 has full sequential ignition as well as fuel maps 32x16 matrix tables. It also has decent knock control and on-board data logging plus can be monitored via Bluetooth on free Shadow Dash program.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Car is for sale.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 63&ed=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The car is being sold unmodified.

The MR2 V6 bits, sway bars, braces, ecu etc will be up for sale in the next week or two, just trying to recoup as much of the cost as possible.

Not sure if I should break it all up or sell individual. Opinions?
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Sorry to hear about the change in plans as it would have been an awesome conversion. Best to sell off parts seperately than try and combine.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Benckj wrote:Sorry to hear about the change in plans as it would have been an awesome conversion. Best to sell off parts seperately than try and combine.
It was always going to be tight. Being a student with irregular work hours and no student allowance made it almost impossible to be able to complete. Was really looking forward to it :(
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Probably would've been smarter to have waited until you had stable income before shelling out on 6k worth of gear that won't sell fast. ;)

TVIS
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: .

Post by TVIS »

What kinda swaybars have you got man?

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Probably would've been smarter to have waited until you had stable income before shelling out on 6k worth of gear that won't sell fast. ;)
It was stable haha it was also the fact that it was starting to cost a lot more than initially thought
What kinda swaybars have you got man?
20mm Whiteline front and rear. Never used still in packaging
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Car and parts are no longer for sale. Sorry to all those who inquired, didn't mean to waste your time.
Last edited by Dontcopy on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS