[SOLD] mknz's SW20 (Formerly Alex's)

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Alex

Re: Alex's SW20

Post by Dontcopy »

Ended up having to buy a Helicoil kit since the transmission and 2GR seemed to only have 1 bolt hole that lined up properly. Expensive, but that's ok, there are now 5 bolts holding them together which is plenty.

Today we got the new fuel pump installed and wired up, and the fuel tank 80% back in.

Then we rolled the 2GR under the car..

then lowered the car onto the motor and pulled the motor up into the car.

Two of the engine mounts got bolted up, the third still has to be made which is the current project.

Looking pretty good so far, it's a really tight fit however.
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Dontcopy wrote:Ended up having to buy a Helicoil kit since the transmission and 2GR seemed to only have 1 bolt hole that lined up properly. Expensive, but that's ok, there are now 5 bolts holding them together which is plenty.
Interesting, I thought that the gearbox holes had to be enlarged because the threads in the 2GR are bigger than the 3S ones.

Scrap that, I found the post I was thinking about (near the bottom of the page): http://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-x ... 176/page3/.

[edit] Some more research shows that the E153 is a direct bolt-on, but I'm not so sure.
Last edited by JasonFriday13 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Damn that looks like a tight fit. Enough room to fit exhaust?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Damn that looks like a tight fit. Enough room to fit exhaust?
Barely, it looks like it'll have to run without a cat because it will interfere with an engine mount
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11

Post by Sinturion »

Weird.. I didn't have to helicoil any bolt holes. Are you using a gen3+ e153?

Tight fit? try putting it in a aw! :wink: :wink:
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Sinturion wrote:Weird.. I didn't have to helicoil any bolt holes. Are you using a gen3+ e153?

Tight fit? try putting it in a aw! :wink: :wink:

It's a later model S54 from memory
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

gen 3 na box .. funny has the same holes as the turbo ... because .. it bolts to the same engine .

2 of the helicoils had to have the block welded up and then drilled because there was a casting relief one has one of the head oil feeds behind it ..

but then im not pulling the box of again to prove a point ..
all ive seen so far iin this threed is a pile of negative comments . I think a few of you seriously need to stop pretending you know something you don't .
straight up

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

on the previous page there is a picture of the unmodified rear flange on the engine .
ill send a bag of jet planes to the person that can spot where the holes are missing ...
and also the whole that needed to be enlarged on the gearbox side ...

simple ms paint will do on the original image ... lets see who can do it without having to use google or someone elses work
i wanna see how well you really do know your gearbox's

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Can't help feeling that's directed at me, but lets see how close I am. Red is missing and yellow (enlarged) is a guess. (I used to have a gen 3 NA gearbox, and I have an E153 sitting downstairs).

After looking at my E153 again, I realized that the yellow circle is wrong. The hole that needs to be enlarged has a M8 thread in it, and it's just above the diff. The Gen 3 E153 already has the required hole.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

kinda close but try again

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Time for a bit of an update on this,

Bought some Tein Springs from a club member, should hopefully give it a nice ride height whilst also not being too shit of a ride.

Went to start rebuilding the suspension the other day, discovered the sway bar tab on the back left shock had been ripped off... And thinking back... never actually remembered there being a rear sway bar in it. Which explains a lot haha. So I'm looking at either buying a full set of Bilsteins or just another housing and continuing the plan to rebuild them with heavier oil.

In terms of the V6, we've made a prototype mount and sent away the design to be laser cut.

Ordered some parts for the exhaust, it's going to be (at this point) custom steel headers, aluminium from the flexi pipe back with custom carbon cans, should sound amazing. And just to make this build even more special, we're going to try and fit ITB's to the 2GR, depending on space of course. Work should pick up substantially over the next few weeks so watch this space.
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Was wondering where you got too. Glad to see your back into it.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Wayne
Guest of the Club.

Post by Wayne »

ill make sure i take some pictures of alex fabricating it all :)

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

Wayne wrote:ill make sure i take some pictures of alex fabricating it all :)
I could toss a pile of tube at the car and it would be a better exhaust than anything I can make haha
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Dontcopy »

So today Wayne got on to making the collectors for the 2GR.

This thing is gonna be amazing

Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS