4AGZTE winter project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Re: 4AGZTE winter project

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

I will check again as that is a possibility. It will be a case of trying a copper washer to space them if they are hitting the pistons. I think its only 2 hitting but as i said i will look again. I thought it was hitting the crank as the counter weight was at its closest point when it hit?

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Yeah have another look. Im 99% sure it wont be the cank. All 4A cranks are the same (except early 40mm) unless your've picked up a 7A crank..?

From momory the guy who did the write up had to notch them as much as 8-10mm , witch would mean they would need quite a bit of spacing down
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

No progress pics today as i have not taken any but i can report i have ground off the welds on the supercharger pulley\clutch and found that the clutch is working as it is supposed too :D. I have taken the inlet and outlet covers off to start prepping it for paint and found that there are marks on the rotors from what look to be contact and you can hear the rotors just contacting as you rotate them? There is almost no play in the bearings so i will take the end cover off as well to check and clean the gears.
Still trying to decide what cambelt to use and cam gears. I would love to put some genuine hks gears on but as i doubt i would ever actually have need to adjust them they would be just cosmetic. The belt is a biggie tho as i don't know if i actually need a uprated belt to support the power i am looking for???
The alternator will be mounted with a custom mount as i don't seem to have the right one for the job so i found pics of a gze with a home made mount that i will copy.

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Blurry. Block has some paint and after a little bit of stuffing round making a mounting point i have the water pump rear pipe attached.
Blurry. Block has some paint and after a little bit of stuffing round making a mounting point i have the water pump rear pipe attached.
A better view wit the supercharger bracket mounted up
A better view wit the supercharger bracket mounted up
Freshly painted supercharger mounted with the pulley cleaned and refitted
Freshly painted supercharger mounted with the pulley cleaned and refitted
Another view showing the 3sgte injectors fitted
Another view showing the 3sgte injectors fitted
Another view with the turbo sitting in place while i set everything around it up. Still needs to be rebuilt (only a $500 job alone).
Another view with the turbo sitting in place while i set everything around it up. Still needs to be rebuilt (only a $500 job alone).
A shot of the turbo from the compressor end hanging from the HKS exhaust manifold. From what i can tell this is the original from the twincharge kit along wit the HKS blow off valve i have sitting aside.
A shot of the turbo from the compressor end hanging from the HKS exhaust manifold. From what i can tell this is the original from the twincharge kit along wit the HKS blow off valve i have sitting aside.
I have a gates racing cam belt on the way now i have a decision to make, Do I bother with adjustable cam gears and if yes where do i get them? Do I need them at all or are they just going to be there to make the engine look cool?

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Mike n Rochelle wrote:I have a gates racing cam belt on the way now i have a decision to make, Do I bother with adjustable cam gears and if yes where do i get them? Do I need them at all or are they just going to be there to make the engine look cool?
Unless your stock cam timing is out, or you have lots of time to tune the cams on the dyno, then I would just use the stock gears. I have found that I don't actually need adjustable cam gears for my car, but since they are already installed I'll just tighten up the LSA a bit from the stock position (they are currently setup wrong).
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Cool I am not using stock cams but they came from a working car so i wont stress about it.

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Pics a bit rubbish but this is approx where the cooler will sit over the gearbox with the outlet running to the intake with the hks bov in the middle
Pics a bit rubbish but this is approx where the cooler will sit over the gearbox with the outlet running to the intake with the hks bov in the middle
Another mock up of the plumbing, the supercharger outlet pipe will run across the top of the head and then down the end of the engine to the turbo. I have still to decide on the bypass setup. The turbo outlet will run over the inlet pipe and then twist round to the inlet of the intercooler
Another mock up of the plumbing, the supercharger outlet pipe will run across the top of the head and then down the end of the engine to the turbo. I have still to decide on the bypass setup. The turbo outlet will run over the inlet pipe and then twist round to the inlet of the intercooler

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Its going to have all the heater plumbing deleted at this stage as it will create too much clutter it also it means i can use the central pipes to feed the water to air setup :D

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I thought you had the whole HKS twincharge kit like the piping and bypass valve.
Like this kit.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Na i have most of the kit but there is some missing that is a bugger

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

I wish i could make out how all that works as i have what looks to be the bypass valve thats been setup as a blow off valve? Looks like the sc feeds into the ic and then????

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Close. The path for the supercharger is basically the same as stock, and the turbo has been added between the afm and air filter, making a supercharger blow-through setup.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Awesome process! Looking good :D
When I finally do get my bigger charger on ill be using two bosch bypass valves. These can be bought from VW n Audi or usually parts places pretty cheap, like 20-30 bucks ech so could be worth a look
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

That sounds like an idea i might look into that too.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Looks like the HKS setup either has a twin intercooler or no intercooler from the turbo.

It seems to go:
With bypass valve closed. Air Filter, Turbo, Supercharger, Intercooler, Intake Manifold.
With bypass valve open. Air Filter, Turbo, Bypass Valve, Intake Manifold.

A compound setup is how you are describing it Jason. Unless this is a compound setup and what I described is wrong. If it is then what is the bypass valve for after the intercooler?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/