4AGZTE winter project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Re: 4AGZTE winter project

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Not updated in a while as i have been busy with work and other projects. Motor is upside down at the mo while i sort the sump and oil squirters out then next I will look at relocating the knock sensor and getting the turbo off for a rebuild.

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

After a bit of creative modification I have the oil squirters sorted and now am making progress toward having the sump setup with two return lines for the turbo and the head. Body is probably next, Will be into garage for a strip down clean up and paint ready for its new pony :D Hopefully sold the old motor from it so i can keep another project going (3.8 commie in a very custom hilux). Got some bits to collect for it still too so watch this space should have some pics up soon of progress

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Has been a while as i have been building a hilux up but i have news for a change :D
I just bought a rust free straight body to use for the project after allot of time trying to decide what of the 3 i would use...... Problem solved :D
Its a factory sunroof but there is no catch or headlining for it so im on the hunt if anyone can help there.
The body is bare and i mean totaly bare so i will be repainting everything and all new bushes etc so it will be a super tidy car when done. Pics to come.

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Any pic's mate? Keen to see what's happening :D
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

krupkee
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: .

Post by krupkee »

sounds nice, was it one that was on trademe?

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Will see how the i get on tomorrow I might get the cover off the new shell and take some pics if the snow melts so i can uncover it..... looks like a good 2 inches on it at the mo.
Yea its the one off trademe, I Know the previous owner and he had unfortunately given up on the car as he had a lack of time to do what he wanted but it has given me the perfect base for a ground up build.

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Hopeless i know :D Its still coming along slowly.
Bought another car that came with allot of parts and 2 4agze boxes from an aw11 and a full set of adjustable shocks and king springs along with other handy bits like supercharged hubs and axles.
Will be fixing the purple car and selling it once it is reg and wof to help pay for the 4agzte progression as i am thinking of building a mk2 4agzte with aftermarket pistons and cams etc so i can push more power from it.
Working toward getting the new body to the garage to start painting the underside, engine bay and frunk so i can drop the suspension in and then the motor/box so i can see if everything fits.
I also now have manual window components to put in the doors along with a complete sunroof. Undecided on headlining and carpets will probably not do carpet but headlining will get something as i hate the condensation during winter.
I also hear that the 3sgte box matches the gze box possibly so i will hopefully have a spare good box for parts. I also have a 101 box here that i don't need now so it would be nice to have the parts fit from it too???

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Death of the first aw. She was touched in all 4 corners and as she has been pillaged for parts and cut up I found more issues so pleased that it did not get the new motor. The steel plate is part of the winch plate for the hilux not for the aw project :D
Death of the first aw. She was touched in all 4 corners and as she has been pillaged for parts and cut up I found more issues so pleased that it did not get the new motor. The steel plate is part of the winch plate for the hilux not for the aw project :D
Thats the latest progress making room for the new shell, That car is almost completely cut up now and suspension will goto the purple car that i got for the SC hubs etc.
Have started taking that out to clean up and paint ready for the new shell. Will fit up the GT4 calipers in the front and might just leave the SC rears in place. Wont be any progress with the new shell until I Have cut down the deck for my hilux that is almost set for paint and cert so time to get it finished and out of the way so i can get on with paint on the AW if i dont get distracted and take it to get a cage first, Have been a bit meh as far as caging it goes as I dont want to add the weight to the car. Have wind up window regs to go in to replace the power windows and will be carpet free possibly just have a headliner to keep it tidy and fix back buckets sitting there so that will keep a bit of the weight down will be looking at what I can delete from the body next to lighten the car in the rear a bit next.
Motor has not moved in a while but am planning to make a custom quad throttle intake for it that should be fun.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Can't wait to see photos of the engine finished, and maybe a youtube video of it running... :idea:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Will do. Was just looking at ECU's again. I have a megasquirt here that I was going to run but it was setup for a 3sge and has only got a 20psi map sensor on it and I want to run 20-25psi when the turbo kicks in so it would need a second map sensor to handle that. I was looking at the link atom too but then I am not sure about running realtime tuning software etc via a tablet off it as I can on the megasquirt. Allot of decisions to make still there.
Exhaust is easy tho off the dump pipe into a y muffler off each y and a cannon style muffler off them. Should sound good.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Mike n Rochelle wrote:I was looking at the link atom too but then I am not sure about running realtime tuning software etc via a tablet off it as I can on the megasquirt. Allot of decisions to make still there.
For the Link G4, a laptop does the same job. Yes, it requires a cable to do so, but there are advantages. First, realtime speed on the Link is about 30Hz, I don't know what it is for the megasquirt. Also, the Link Atom has four injector drives and four ignition drives, so it can do full sequential fuel and spark. The megasquirt has two injector drives and two ignition drives, which means cylinders have to be grouped together for engines over two cylinders, so grouped injection and dizzy or wasted spark ignition. The megasquirt has less processing power than the Link G4, I think the megaquirt is 16 bit and the Link is 64 bit now?

I was in the same situation a few years ago, I was deciding between a megasquirt, Link G4 or custom building my own since I have electronics and programming skills. Building my own didn't get very far because of the amount of time it would have taken to design and build. The megasquirt was cheap, but the lack of injector drives and ignition drives was a deal breaker as I had Caldina coil-on-plug ignition that I am running on it, and I wanted to run full sequential fuel and ignition. I ended up buying a used Link G4 Storm straight from NZEFI for $1600, and it's been great. Recently I've been thinking about removing the clutch switch (or boost pressure switch) and getting abs front hubs, and wiring the free wire to that so that I can run some basic traction control. I do have 2-step launch control setup on it currently. I may also start using anti-lag once I have a stronger turbo.

There I go again, I've digressed.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Hey Mike,
What was the condition of the frunk floor like in your chop-shop shell? Good and structural enough, or surface rust and holes from leaking brake master?

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Frunk floor is ok the towers are rippled and there is some paint damage from brake fluid on the ridge bellow the master. Can put up pics if you are interested I have not chopped that part yet :D

Hmm looks like I might get the link in the end then Just sucks that there is no WiFi connectivity or apps available so i could run a tablet in car for live monitoring etc but I guess I could make make something in the way of a small inbuilt PC to do this and run a 7" screen in the dash. It will possibly need to be a storm as the atom might not have enough auxiliaries to suit my build. What is the tuning software like to use? I would like to do the first tune myself and then get it to the dyno for a decent tune?

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Mike n Rochelle wrote:It will possibly need to be a storm as the atom might not have enough auxiliaries to suit my build. What is the tuning software like to use? I would like to do the first tune myself and then get it to the dyno for a decent tune?
I've used every input and output on my G4 Storm, there's just enough for my build.

The tuning software is free on the Link website, go and download it, load one of the base maps up and have a play. That's how I started with it. FYI, if you have a wideband I can give you some basic setup tips in order to get cold start and idling working alright. You can also turn on closed loop fuel tuning, and it will modify the fuel map to match a given AFR as you drive.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Awesome thanks I will have to take you up on that.