AW11 V2

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: AW11 V2

Post by GDII »

flying_wedge wrote:Love RPF1s. I don't think Enkei do them in low offsets on a 15" rim though.
Looks like it's only 15x7 +35 or +41.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

krupkee
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: .

Post by krupkee »

flying_wedge wrote:Also could I request pics from roll cage inside? Do you still have all interior trim? Did your cage builder tie the front bar to through the firewall to the front struts?
sorry wedge didn't see your question. I bought the aw with the cage in it, you hit the nail on the head and that the only bad part is its not linked to the front in anyway. If i was to get one built that would be a must as basically its not adding as much rigidity as it could, but I would say still a fair bit especially side forces.

Though they are probably more rigid stock than most cars out there!

Will get some nice pics now and put them in the next post

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

flying_wedge wrote:Also could I request pics from roll cage inside? Do you still have all interior trim? Did your cage builder tie the front bar to through the firewall to the front struts?
Lighting in garage is terrible, going to pickup some polycarb panels for the roof this weekend, get a bit more light in :)

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Is it running blacktop quads or silvertop? If silver how is the map sensor connected up?

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

blacktop quads. Running a standalone ecu,South African Dicktater (lol). I used to run map with blacktop ecu.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

krupkee wrote:blacktop quads. Running a standalone ecu,South African Dicktater (lol). I used to run map with blacktop ecu.
Any difference in performance?
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

One of my 3 aw's has a silvertop and i got some trumpets and unifilter socks for it and a blacktop ecu but the vacume setup had me stumped. I would love to run it but might have to admit defeat and get a blacktop quad setup.

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Statek wrote:
krupkee wrote:blacktop quads. Running a standalone ecu,South African Dicktater (lol). I used to run map with blacktop ecu.
Any difference in performance?
unsure, have not driven it with my engine yet, when I got the car it was fairly slow but smoking like a train!!
Mike n Rochelle wrote:One of my 3 aw's has a silvertop and i got some trumpets and unifilter socks for it and a blacktop ecu but the vacume setup had me stumped. I would love to run it but might have to admit defeat and get a blacktop quad setup.
do you have a map/temp sensor mike? any 90s type map sensor from toyotas will work, mine was from a camry, then you just use the intake manifold which is connected to all 4 throttles (the circular part on the left of the intake, small vac line inder that), install a intake temp sensor and should be working. I might have a pic I can draw the different parts if you need

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Have been slowly sanding away to be painted in the next couple of weekends hopefully

Have a brake upgrade ready to go in once I get some spacers for the rear. ST185 fronts, fronts for the rear and front discs all-round with some stainless lines. Think I will go EBC greens for now and see how they go, also polished up the rear(fronts) a bit, could have kept going but look alright for the car :)

Bled the clutch:

Got some bleeding stuff for the coolant system, because I got an ali rad it didnt have a bleed valve so the only one I have at the moment is the heater lines. So i bought a few of those temp sensor housing thingys and some 150C rated ball valves and tails, going to put one on the front and one either side of the engine, should be really easy to bleed having valves either side of the thermostat. I just hope it works and lasts

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Painting the car this weekend (plan was anzac monday but weather was bad

Just waiting on arp longer wheel studs and next weekend I will do the brake install. Also got caliper rebuilds for the fronts, EBC green pads all-round

cooling system bleed valves has some leaks from the shitty hose clamps they came with so replacing all spring clamps and shitty clamps with good embossed ones.

Also got some citric acid to flush the system with, all the pipes have a rusty coating thats quite hard to get off.

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Pics of the paintwork, few problems when painting with the compressor. water trap wasn't working properly and then the pressure switch burnt out. Overall happy as it will probably get abused a bit anyway. Got all the stuff to respray it myself now

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Got it driveable and drove 5m our the garage, wooo :)

had a bit of trouble bleeding the brakes as it has a hydraulic handbrake, going to try a different method of bleeding this weekend, brakes work but still a bit spongy. Got a new windscreen and other minor bits done, cooling system is bled and working well

To do:
-Exhaust wrap, going to try the "lava wrap" stuff, if it don't work will get it ceramic coated but it was only $40
-Tinker with throttle as its quite stiff at the moment
-Fix shifter cables, p/o has used exhaust wrap and wire to wrap around where they enter the firewall so they are a bit clunky
-Alignment
-Maybe tune and maybe take it in to have brakes/handbrake pressure bled
-Align bonnet/headlights(some bolts broke on removal)

Pics:
LED dash lights

LED driving lights (because I had spares), you can see the wonky headlights

New ramair air filters, they are made for carb but measurements are perfect for a 20v!

Kippeth
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Stefan

Post by Kippeth »

omg a blue bumper

is it still blue?

Are you going to be respraying it?

If you were going to respraying it
I have a mint condition red front bumper but a blue MR2... would you consider a swap? i dont think mine has the lip though.

Sorry if its out of place to ask.

Kippeth
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Stefan

Post by Kippeth »

huh for some reason i didnt see the post about the paintwork till i posted. oh well! good luck with your build, was it running/driving about a year ago? i recall seeing one driving the other way when i was at a friends in hillcrest.

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Kippeth wrote:huh for some reason i didnt see the post about the paintwork till i posted. oh well! good luck with your build, was it running/driving about a year ago? i recall seeing one driving the other way when i was at a friends in hillcrest.
Nah not me, only driven it down from auckland about 1 year ago

Got it driveable and into the driveway for a pic! got the car cover on it while I clean up the garage. Its shorter than the picket fence!