the smile maker

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

Re: the smile maker

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

I've got black and silver top ones and a couple blocks sitting here if you want a comparison?
I've actually got two silver top ones sitting here that are free to a good home if you want something smaller?
I'll be quite happily take those ones off ya hands :D
Silver are 30mm and black 34mm

Just run a relocation kit and/or wrap them to hold heat in??

Nice work so far!
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

If you find something like industrial formica to use for the spacer, you won't get the heat transfer from the shield into the spacer and into the filter. Probably best not to create hotspots on the filter as they're not very thick metal.

See ya
Simon

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Anthony

Post by blown »

Ash Kelly Barr wrote:I've got black and silver top ones and a couple blocks sitting here if you want a comparison?
I've actually got two silver top ones sitting here that are free to a good home if you want something smaller?
I'll be quite happily take those ones off ya hands :D
Silver are 30mm and black 34mm

Just run a relocation kit and/or wrap them to hold heat in??

Nice work so far!
trust me this header looks flash but I don't think its made of stainless lol when cutting and grinding it to suit the 16v it looks like chromed muck metal maybe its just the flanges but i'm not so sure, it's got pretty good welds on it though got to keep it positive :lol: if you go to ebay.com.au and search 20v header they have more for sale if you really want one :wink:
i'm not even sure if I can use the midpipe yet.. won't know till the motors in the car :(
Anthony

1990 Mr2 sw20 V6 3VZ-FE swapped
Sold: 1989 Aw11 Hard top S/C Auto -> Manual conversion.

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

85AW20v wrote:If you find something like industrial formica to use for the spacer, you won't get the heat transfer from the shield into the spacer and into the filter. Probably best not to create hotspots on the filter as they're not very thick metal.

See ya
Simon
formica is like plastic isn't it? where would I get some :shock: never herd of it before
Anthony

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

85AW20v wrote:If you find something like industrial formica to use for the spacer, you won't get the heat transfer from the shield into the spacer and into the filter. Probably best not to create hotspots on the filter as they're not very thick metal.

See ya
Simon
Do you mean something like this? http://www.laminex.co.nz/product.php?Pr ... =2&Item=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

that's what came up when I googled it :shock: so I assume the industrial part means it like a heat resistant plastic?
Anthony

GDII

Post by GDII »

It's not plastic as such. It's actually made from Kraft paper and phenolic resin. Phenolic spacers are used on intake manifolds between the head and the manifold so it should work well between the heat shield and oil filter. You could also buy some gold foil sheet to stick on the heat shield as added bling and function.

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

hmm interesting, could it be similar to a oil sump plug washer? I know the Toyota ones are some sort of paper
Anthony

GDII

Post by GDII »

Possibly. This stuff you can't actually pull it apart like paper even though it's made from paper, it's very solid because of the resin. It's used in Laboratories as bench tops as it's quite chemical resistant but not 100% sure on it's tolerance of high heat. Maybe using just the Phenolic resin rather than the material with kraft paper in it would be better for this but I can't say for certain.

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

update..

so today even though I'm not feeling the best I decided to do a few things while i'm home fist thing I decided to do was finally change the fuel filter I bought 2 weeks ago :roll: and what I found removing the old one....
really... wtf.jpg
looks like factory pen marks... It looks original looks old. older then me, wtf.. that would make this filter 25 years old and 225k km's... however i'll never know for sure but i'm tempted to cut it in half to see how black it is.. either way this thing is waaaaaaaay old. amazes me how people over look fuel filters I can't say this would be why the car was hard to start and I wont know till I start it up again but man oh man it couldn't have been doing it any favours

decided to put in the clutch pedal and master cylinder in not sure if this is my amazing drilling skills bitting me or if this reservoir has had to many drinks.. either way it looks on tilted but still lines up straight with the brake booster LOL aslong as it works.. don't even care
master.jpg
rather then showing the world how good my welding is :lol: I had a crack at giving the brake pedal an haircut and honestly its not perfect.. i'd give it a honest 5/10 on looks but it will do and the manual foot pad fits now.. I can change it later I just want my car back.. I can make it look pretty later :wink:
haircut.jpg

here it is on trail fit, it's not bolted in, just sitting in there. Honestly the placement isn't that bad, moved when I took the picture so it's leaning toward the gas pedal more then where it would sit, rubber pad is abit skewif but whatever again not looks.. function is what I want right now
not fixed yet...jpg
also got the correct flywheel.. bought a silver top one thinking heck yeah its lighter then a gze one but it wont work with the gearbox :oops: so found this one of trademe and not sure if it's ever been used... surface rust sure
correct.jpg
looks.. new ish.jpg
either way its perfectly flat might be fine to just chuck it in without skimming it
Anthony

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Go talk to the guys at ADL, said 100 for flywheel skim and skim all four brake rotors
Toyota motors:

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

i'm looking at getting front and rear slotted rotors from DBA through bnts once the car is all up and going as the rotors are shot on the left front and rear, been sitting for so long they're rust pitted? if that's the term :o

aaaand.... this flywheel is off a last gen 4agze from a gtz Levin. flywheel needs a 230mm clutch the 225 pressure plate doesn't come close to lining up and I couldn't tell until I put a dowels in :cry: so i'm hoping like heck partmaster will swap this 225mm clutch kit for the 230mm one..
Anthony

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Yeah I've seen brand new face lift disks for not a huge amount
Let me know how goes with the set from BNT

I didn't think there was a 230? Thought there was just 210 (early) 212 (small port onward) and 225 (ZE's)??
Toyota motors:

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

that's why I was confused as to why the pressure plate didn't fit I was going why and what the heck did this bigger one comes off of then I had a look on excedy website, the last gen ae101 gtz has a 230mm flywheel i'd read that these things were a myth but whatever it fits and it's all sitting on the motor now :lol:

however what's annoying is the cost difference between the 225mm and 230mm clutch kits the 225 kit at retail was $357.81 and the 230mm clutch kit at retail is $447.57 I understand that the pressure plate is slightly bigger and more then likely holds more pressure but $100 difference for 5mm more is mental

that extra 5mm has to be worth 10hp though :P
Anthony

blown
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by blown »

Ill have to put the pictures up later as ive been flat out getting my car back together. Alots happened since last update

found out motors got a 175mm overboost pulley so I did the abv mod :shock:

new radiator is in unfortunately looks kind of like a front mount intercooler now that the a/c rad is gone :? Need to hide it. Cleaned radiator rubber pipes. Was pretty good stress relief smashing and stepping on them to get the rust out. Alot came out :wink:

Got the correct clutch and mounted the gearbox to the motor and found out auto bolts were to short so Ive replaced them what a pain that was.

got some gasket, made and fitted the header hopefully it seals or ill have to have a pro make one for it fingers crossed it can take a beating

motor and gearbox are IN THE CAR 8) it actually went in easier then I thought and I managed to do it solo :twisted: so far ive got all the mounts in but not tight.

So now I can test the shifter and or find out how to make it work
Anthony