pbaron's new ride / build

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Pierre

pbaron's new ride / build

Post by pbaron »

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for some time and have recently taken the plunge into mr2 ownership. I picked up a 92 NA auto with a bad water pump a month or so back to test the waters, replacing the water pump and doing the cambelt while I was in there got it running again but it was a bit of a slug. I did find it nice to drive though (better than my z32 300zx that I managed to sell after a year on trademe) so began looking for a cheap turbo one. I scored a 90 turbo with the motor out and in parts after overheating and took a trip up north to Thames with the trusty previa and car trailer to pick it up two weekends back.

I am in the process of swapping the mr2 engine bits to a celica motor that came with the car and then dropping this into place. It will keep me busy for the next month or so. If anyone is keen to drop by and say hi after making a trip out to pickapart I am only a couple of minutes away in naenae and would welcome visitors, txt 021 120 4379 for address.

I will flesh this topic out with pics soon.

Cheers
Pierre
Last edited by pbaron on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SW20 project car

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Re: pbaron's new ride

Post by *84vvt »

Nice
If you get stuck look me up as I'm not far from Naenae.
Colin
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Re: pbaron's new ride

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Sounds like the same car I was looking at a while back, it's red with no targa tops?

I've done a gen 3 celica turbo swap into my car, so help is available if you get stuck.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: pbaron's new ride / build

Post by pbaron »

Here are some pics of the car after getting it home, I took the camera with me when I went to pickup the car but it was all business getting it loaded before the rain came down and I did not get around to taking any.
MR2 022.JPG
MR2 021.JPG
MR2 018.JPG
MR2 019.JPG
MR2 020.JPG
MR2 024.JPG
MR2 025.JPG
MR2 033.JPG
MR2 015.JPG
MR2 016.JPG
MR2 017.JPG
MR2 023.JPG
Last edited by pbaron on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
SW20 project car

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pbaron »

A couple of pics of some rims I got for it
MR2 030.JPG
MR2 031.JPG
MR2 032.JPG
Last edited by pbaron on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
SW20 project car

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pbaron »

I am now in need of a new rear centre panel and boot lock, the rod from the lock to the catch had come off and I could not get the boot to open which was bad as it had half the bits for the old motor in the boot.

I first drilled out the lock as I did not have a key that worked in it in the hope I could get it to rotate and open the boot. Well I got it to rotate alright but the boot would not release.
MR2 002.JPG
MR2 003.JPG
I then carried out some exploratory drilling trying to get access to the rod to release the catch, in the end had get right up to the catch to get it to release. All of the drilling was done through the rear panel which has butchered it.
MR2 001.JPG
MR2 004.JPG
If you have a spare panel and or boot lock in the Wellington region or willing to post flick me a pm.
SW20 project car

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pbaron »

Quick update, the Gen1 3SGTE I got with the car was going to take too much to get it fitted. In the end I got the car running with a 3SGE that I purchased cheap as from Alex in Palmy and picked up from Wayne in Levin, this allowed me to take the car in for a WOF and see if I had purchased a lemon or not. Got a WOF and only had to sort out some tyres for it to pass as I took it in on the old 14's.

Went to a few club runs like this and then purchased a wrecked Caldina GT-T for the Gen4 motor and fitted this.
Caldina 033.JPG
Caldina 036.JPG
Quite a difference with a turbo motor fitted. This conversion was completed a few months back now and I have travelled about 5000ks in it since then without problem.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
Last edited by pbaron on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SW20 project car

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by pbaron »

Few pics from a run just completed.
coast to coast 018.JPG
coast to coast 039.JPG
coast to coast 094.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
SW20 project car

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

These cars are pretty savage with the Caldina motor in the back. They were pretty quick in the station wagon already, but go much better with a 200kg haircut! Just watch the boost. They like to boost creep and have been known to bend rods on anything higher than 15psi

Instant face-lift with the new wheels by the way! Where did you source your gen3 lights and center panel? My center is scratched to hell and does not clip in properly. Probably need to replace the lights soon too. They seem pretty tough to come by.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Nice work. Was wondering how your project was coming on as haven't seen many updates. You must have a few parts stacking up with all those wreaks purchased.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods