Project 9AGZE AW11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Nick

Re: Project 9AGZE AW11

Post by nick.parker »

I'm going to use two key ways on the 9AGZE -- and one crank key looked a bit funny once I took the crank pulley off (just checking things over as I didnt put the crank pulley on). I decided to get the cam pulley off so I could take a better look (which is hard on a big miles 4age), but this has only done dyno miles.....I still needed to put some M8x1.25 threads so I could use a pulley puller. The first time was with the engine in the car (old engine) -- it works really well -- I don't know why Toyota don't just sell these pulleys like this!
TAPPING_CAM_DRIVE.png
REMOVE_CAM_DRIVE.png
REMOVE_CAM_DRIVE.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3433 times
CAM_DRIVE_TAPPED_M8x1.25.png
CAM_DRIVE_TAPPED_M8x1.25.png (1005.23 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
9A-GZE - SCREW SUPERCHARGED
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

Drilled and tapped mine to pull it off the crank , but its been on there for over 100 000 Km ( in the lasted 10 years) .
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Well its getting closer...

Post by nick.parker »

Painted some brackets and block water adapter black
painted_brackets_9A.png
Drilled out alternator lower hole to 12mm and fits 12mm stainless bolt -- that was a bit scary holding the alternator by hand in my drill press
Top mount looks a bit shitty but I'll have another go later -- it can wait as its easy to do on the car.
alt_lower_hinge.png
Decided to brace my 4A exhaust manifold (7A block also has bosses) with a simple system using stainless flat bar
mani_brace.png
mani_brace.png (477.2 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Next up I need to....
  • redo the dipstick mount /bracket
  • finish water pipe that goes from adapter on front of engine, underneath the exhaust manifold to electric pump near gearbox -- I made one already but it was not pretty enough for me
  • retorque and reassemble all nuts and use with locktite on some
  • attach gearbox
  • put setup in car -- lots of reassembly
  • build circuit to break out 2 ignition outputs plus two general purpose IO's to run 4 individual coils
the list goes on and on...but I'm closer.......end of year is the goal!
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Add to the list:
  • Remove the bottom alternator bolt and put in the other way so I can get the bloody thing out when I bloody need to, without bloody cutting it, because it's too bloody long and hits the bloody right hand chassis rail
:oops: :mrgreen:
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by nick.parker »

Good point -- thankfully I haven't discovered this problem yet -- though I did have a few spare bolts LOL!
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by nick.parker »

So it now starts -- though it does stumble in this vid (after initial flare) as I didnt realise the ECU has no after-start enrich numbers.

It's been a mission to get here. AND now the gearbox needs to come out! It's been worked on by two different people.

The first put an 'illegal combination' of bearing inner and outer race in the box -- thank goodness that was discovered by the second people to work on it, and they were working on it because I didn't trust the first job done on the gearbox after I discovered the 3-4 selector shaft was installed backwards (no detents for 3rd 4th, so could pop out) -- Murphys law...its the only selector shaft that can be installed two different ways!

Anyway so the latest drama : Got the car jacked up in the garage, finishing off, about to install drive shafts.......and the LHS axle wont go into the gearbox far enough -- it simply cant, as the LSD 'divider' in the middle of the diff wont let it slide in far enough, whereas on the RHS there is more than enough space for RHS half-shaft. So I'm currently confused -- looking at the diff I believe it can possibly be installed two ways, so maybe its flipped?
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by nick.parker »

Just a quick road test - will post some more updates soon. I was a bit slow on the gear change because I was listening to the engine knock sensor through headphones and didn't sound like the engine was near the 7K redline I set LOL

My Ride -- SCR3WD!

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by nick.parker »

My next mod is to up the ante a bit on the supercharger boost with about 13% more overdrive on the supercharger. Which should add roughly the same more or less to the mid range torque. The engine should be able to make around 290hp at redline with this pulley. The SC speed will peak at about 18K rpm!

I decided to swap out the outer part as the pulley system is modular....but the fasteners were so goddam tight I had to drill them all out. A low quality Allen key I had actually bent.....and a high quality one just rounded the inner hex of the Allen Keys....

The Head Bolt Trick
But I then had to lower the engine to get the pulley off using my head bolt trick.....the head bolt allows the drivers side of the engine to be lowered enough to get the crank pulley off, which keeping engine lined up in the correct location. (You just remove the two bolts from the front and rear gearbox torque mounts). Actually I also use this trick when removing the gearbox too.......
head_bolt2.png
head_bolt2.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2790 times
car_angle_no_plate.png
car_angle_no_plate.png (2.4 MiB) Viewed 2774 times
Finally - got the outer off......
pulley no outer.png
pulley no outer.png (2.54 MiB) Viewed 2790 times
New pulley vs. old
Pulleys.jpg
Pulleys.jpg (171.11 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Installed!
installed.png
installed.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2786 times
Last edited by nick.parker on Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

I like that head bolt trick

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by nick.parker »

mknz wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:41 am
I like that head bolt trick
.......yeah, its such a time saver -- of course it doesn't need to be said, that this head bolt is not from the engine you are working on :lol: of course any old longish bolt with the right thread will work on the engine mount M10x1.25 from memory...
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by nick.parker »

Some dodgy welding on my sump and a rush job installation has seen my sump weeping oil for some time -- so enough is enough -- I'm tired of cleaning oil off the driveway! So I decided to kill two birds and spoil the car and myself with an MRP sump, and at the same time re-do my SC oil drain - also I can now have a bit more confidence about not having oil starvation issues. So here is the bottom of the engine still looking brand new...

Had a small scare -- when I removed the oil intake bolt (which was really tight (not me :>( ) , out came some aluminium piece too - the thread was wrecked. So after being mad...I realised I could maybe get a thread reapir kit......but then I noticed the cap screw was quite short and not allowing for the thickness of the gridle....so the thread engagement was a lot less than it could have been. So out with the old M6 x 1 - 15mm's and after a quick check of the hole depth with a piece of welding wire, I went to the local fastener store and bought some 25mm long M6 cap screws. These were slightly too long, so I shortened then to around 23mm, and then I was able to use 8mm of undamaged oil pump housing thread (and some loctite......emergency averted!

Pre-install
underbelly.png
underbelly.png (5.61 MiB) Viewed 2733 times
Post install
underbelly_car.png
underbelly_car.png (5.43 MiB) Viewed 2733 times
Luckily the sump (4.8L) is similar enough that my exhaust fits, and the drivers side CV just clears the sump wing by about 10mm.
modded.png
modded.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2733 times
Also added a bulkhead style stainless AN10 fitted (from Aliexpress) to serve as a new oil drain entry
new_SC oil drain.png
new_SC oil drain.png (5.77 MiB) Viewed 2733 times
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

This build is awesome man, love seeing the progress.
What ECU are you running her on?
And is tuned via speed density or alpha-n?

Must be a blast to drive

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by nick.parker »

Thanks and yeah, its fun to drive! The ECU is home made (I've been working on it for 20+ years now) - there are a couple of short clips relating to it on my youtube channel. The ECU is surprisingly low tech -- using an 8-bit CPU (just like the Toyota original CPU!!) but its running a 24MHz and the code is written mostly in C except for a very small amount of some time critical stuff. My Windows based tuning app I wrote in C#. Screenshot below

Might make a video about it sometime. Speed Density is the tuning style - screen of actual VE map (Volumetric Efficiency).
2023-01-25 17_32_59-table2d _ 'Vol Eff Table 2D' _ Size[20 x 17] _ Units[%] _ Index[449] _ X-Axis is.png
2023-01-25 17_32_59-table2d _ 'Vol Eff Table 2D' _ Size[20 x 17] _ Units[%] _ Index[449] _ X-Axis is.png (352.75 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
My Ride -- SCR3WD!

nick.parker
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

HEAD GASKET WOEs......

Post by nick.parker »

So I'd been pushing out coolant into the overflow bottle for a while....like only 200mls, but every drive, and the coolant wasnt going back into the bottle, so I decided it could be combustion pressure getting into the coolant. I finally decided it is likely to be the head gasket (after fixing pinholes in my shabby aluminium welding in the coolant system)...so after about 6 months of procrastination I've bitten the bullet and took the head off. Note the gasket looks bad as all the sticky Viton stuff tears off the metal head gasket when removing the head. I could see nothing obvious to my untrained eye. I cleaned the head and block carefully with a blade from a Stanley knife, and then used a pot scourer on the block surface.
old-gasket.png
old-gasket.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
Lots of bits.....
buckets_and_bits.png
buckets_and_bits.png (2.48 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
I looked at the block -- I could not really see any stains indicating a leak through the the ring sealing area into a coolant jacket
block_clean.png
block_clean.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
I cleaned the head....it had some indentations from the head gasket so I decided to get it skimmed.
head_pre_clean.png
head_pre_clean.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
Here is the head after getting skimmed
head_post_clean.png
head_post_clean.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
The new TRD 0.8mm gasket goes on....I need to very light 'Dremel' the stud holes as my head studs are 7/16" but its almost like the TRD gasket is made for this - the hole locations are very very precise - it surprised me.
new_gasket.png
new_gasket.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
Kill pinholes with molten metal LOL!
leaky_fix.png
leaky_fix.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2536 times
Lastly a couple of hours worth of reinstalling stuff
cam_reinstalled.png
cam_reinstalled.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2544 times
So the car started immediately after reassembly, and interestingly when warm, I have to increase the idle air valve setting a little bit....might have sealed up something, somewhere a bit better....hmm....stand by for more update..
My Ride -- SCR3WD!