David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

Re: David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Post by DravidDavid »

Alsw20 wrote:Take the $6k payout and put it towards importing a gen3.

They will auction the wreck and it will go for more than $450.
Yea, They're giving me $5550 and I'm taking the car. I'm going to have to look through the importing thread and see what it will take money wise to land a low km 96+ here.
clawnz wrote: Sounds good.
Sorry about the pain of saying "good bye!"
But be positive. And move on.
Saying goodbye will be hard. But I'm staying positive and look forward to what is next.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

This one sold for 434k yen. Probably sub $12k on the road here if you used someone like Carwebs. 95 GT-S , grade 4, 121km

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Looks like I'm importing then! Looks like you can land them for around 8'ish if you look around.

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Clive

Post by clawnz »

Allow $12,000 on road costs here. 1995/6 in top order and low k's. Grade 4.
Grade 3 could be an option, but may need some work.
Then if you find a good one cheaper, you will be on a winner.
That was what I found when I was looking. in fact a couple would of cost me $14,000.
None of them were 1997. Man if you find a later model expect to bleed.
You also trigger other regs if under 20yr bracket.

Carwebs Total price includes on road costs. And they will give you a break down of costs. So you can see buy price FOB cost. Customs and GST. Certification, reg, warrant. Drive it home.
Gullivers Not sure about what the deal is with them. But good to deal with I am told.
These two have booked secure parking. And have booked spaces on ship.
And people on the ground in Japan.

If buying at auction and sorting shipping then you may miss out, on one ship and have to wait for next one. Meaning the car maybe costing you to be secured somewhere. Plus you have to pay for shipping to port. If buying at action. Some will sort FOB.

And you could ask Alex at Moonlight. He has very good people in Japan. And he may container one down.

Kipp
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Kipp

Post by Kipp »

If you're going to import I would recommend speaking with http://www.speightscars.nz, the owner was extremely helpful and was willing to get lower shipping costs etc for me for a car I almost bought (went over my budget, just)
Only didn't import via them as found mine in nz

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

:oops: This would still trigger said laws. So would have to be parked up for another year.
My understanding of our laws.

https://carfromjapan.com/en/car/5895149 ... a-mr2-1998

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

clawnz wrote::oops: This would still trigger said laws. So would have to be parked up for another year.
My understanding of our laws.

https://carfromjapan.com/en/car/5895149 ... a-mr2-1998
That car looks mint! Always wanted a white one actually. I guess I wouldn't care if it sat around for a year or so, so long as I knew I had a mint example sitting in the garage.

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

I was very tempted myself.
I hope I have read the post correct. I had to stop looking at it. :D
You would have a great investment. Looks and sounds like a great car.
I have it only 2,422 made world wide.
That would make the car worth a lot more than the price they are asking.

More of a collectors car, than a daily driver.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

There are better examples around than that one listed above IMO. Its a gen 4. GTS with 135km on clock. Can get gen 5 with less km's and GT version that has better options (leather, new steering wheel, red stitching, diff gauge display, etc).
Keep looking especially at auction because sites like that one have scam artists working in the background!
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

Yeah you really want to deal with someone local or at least a Kiwi on the ground in Japan.

Mark from Brave Auto International does regular YouTube videos of his stock and cars he has sourced for customers around the world . He is a Kiwi as well based in Japan.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Alsw20 wrote:Yeah you really want to deal with someone local or at least a Kiwi on the ground in Japan.

Mark from Brave Auto International does regular YouTube videos of his stock and cars he has sourced for customers around the world . He is a Kiwi as well based in Japan.
Good advice! Im friends with an importer with trustworthy contacts in Japan, so that is definitely an option also.

The plan right now is to sort out everything with the car and get it back in the garage. Then see how the piggy bank looks.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

DravidDavid wrote:

Yea, They're giving me $5550 and I'm taking the car. I'm going to have to look through the importing thread and see what it will take money wise to land a low km 96+ here.
What insurance company are you with? Keeping the wrecked car for $450 sounds like at least something okay has come out of it. You can do a drivetrain swap into a cheap mr2 shell and have some cash leftover. Or part it out and import something. Bigger and better, right?
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

ClanFever wrote:
DravidDavid wrote:

What insurance company are you with? Keeping the wrecked car for $450 sounds like at least something okay has come out of it. You can do a drivetrain swap into a cheap mr2 shell and have some cash leftover. Or part it out and import something. Bigger and better, right?
Insurance company is AMI (AIG) And yea, taking the wreck for $450.00 has meant I at least almost break even. I don't think I would have been able to sell the car in its condition for anything over 5K and I still have the motor, box and rev2 goodies to hold or sell at a bargin price.

I'll use the 5K to heavily subsidise something better. Be it an import or something local. I'll turn the other car in to a project later on. I think I'm going to need to invest in plastic bins and a label maker.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

Auction tomorrow, grade 4, 76km GT-S

http://auc.carwebs.co.nz/aj-5Y6fxjgaIfIInGT.htm

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Has anyone managed to get a '98/'99 model in as a special interest vehicle? Technically it fits the GT and the GT-S fit all the criteria.

- It's a two door
- It's a performance vehicle
- Less than 20,000 were built (or at least according to the Wiki - 672 were built in 1999) or do they mean over the whole SW20's model lifetime?
(EDIT: Nevermind, fact sheet says annual volumes: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resourc ... hicles.pdf)

Even if the third criteria is based on the SW20 model lifespan rather than the year, I'm sure I could find an article with the keyword classic from one of the officially listed outlets:
Australian classic car, Carand driver (US), Automobile (US), Motor (Australia), Motor trend (US), New Zealand autocar, New Zealand classic car, Road and track (US), Top gear (UK), Top gear NZ, Unique cars (Australia) or
Wheels (Australia)

I know what I'm doing tonight!