David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Post by Benckj »

Attachments
Imoporting an MR2 to NZ.pdf
(980.06 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

I may need to start a new build thread soon. Exciting things ahead. I don't want to start saying stuff and not following through, but I think I'm doing it properly this time.
Stripping out my next body, getting it painted properly the colour that I actually want, putting a nice interior in it and building a 5S-GTE (which is what I should have done before).

I want an 11 second weekend warrior that looks nice when it's parked. The import can wait for now, but definitely still an option. The 2JZ needs a turbo too, so I'll keep an eye on the auctions and we will see what comes first :lol:

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Levi

Post by 4CylinderSpecial »

DravidDavid wrote: Stripping out my next body, getting it painted properly the colour that I actually want, putting a nice interior in it and building a 5S-GTE (which is what I should have done before).
A 5s will be cool! I'll be very interested in that build.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Just turbocharge a 2gr. Even a lower boost application will net you huge numbers.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Alsw20 wrote:Just turbocharge a 2gr. Even a lower boost application will net you huge numbers.
...All options on the table. But 5S is more cost effective and I have most of the parts to sort it already.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

Heh. Cost effective and building an engine don't really belong in the same sentence.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Alsw20 wrote:Heh. Cost effective and building an engine don't really belong in the same sentence.
I didn't say either were cost effective. I said the 5S was "more" cost effective than the 2GR haha.

$3500 for engine alone, getting the kit here to mount it plus buying the turbo, exhaust and getting it all certified adds up.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

How much do you think the 5s build is going to be?

The way I was looking at it was the 2gr would be a stock engine with bolt ons. It has almost 60% greater displacement than the 5s.

The 5s is going to be a serious rebuild to handle the horsepower required for a street driven 11 second MR2.

Have you driven a 12 second MR2 for perspective?

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Alsw20 wrote:How much do you think the 5s build is going to be?

The way I was looking at it was the 2gr would be a stock engine with bolt ons. It has almost 60% greater displacement than the 5s.

The 5s is going to be a serious rebuild to handle the horsepower required for a street driven 11 second MR2.

Have you driven a 12 second MR2 for perspective?
The 5S is going to be a serious rebuild. I'm not aiming for huge power figures to start with. But the headroom to go for bigger horsepower later with the stronger block is most attractive. I hear the extra torque from the 5S is cool too!

I've got all the parts together to build it already. Will be talking to a local machine shop soon.

I havn't really driven any fast drag cars. I really haven't driven any "fast" cars at all. Just fun ones, haha.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

Got myself a fancy new toy to pass the time while I decide what to do. 4.0L V8. Looks good on the rims I took off the MR2. Tyres were too big for the MR2 but they are the perfect size for this car.
tmp_6106-received_10212512045463547690888100.jpeg

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

DravidDavid wrote:Got myself a fancy new toy to pass the time while I decide what to do. 4.0L V8. Looks good on the rims I took off the MR2. Tyres were too big for the MR2 but they are the perfect size for this car.
tmp_6106-received_10212512045463547690888100.jpeg
I love Soarers. Was and still am considering getting a v8 one as a daily.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

4CylinderSpecial wrote:I love Soarers. Was and still am considering getting a v8 one as a daily.
Buy mine. I already don't really like it, lol. Makes a good sound though. Straight pipe out of the cats. Great rumble. Dosn't use any oil or water. Sounds a bit lame up high because there is no cross-over. Need an H pipe or something in the middle to even out the tone and give it that classic muscle car sound.

4CylinderSpecial
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

DravidDavid wrote: Buy mine. I already don't really like it, lol. Makes a good sound though. Straight pipe out of the cats. Great rumble. Dosn't use any oil or water. Sounds a bit lame up high because there is no cross-over. Need an H pipe or something in the middle to even out the tone and give it that classic muscle car sound.
A bit boaty compared to the 2? Let me sell a few more fiats and i'll let you know.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by DravidDavid »

4CylinderSpecial wrote: A bit boaty compared to the 2? Let me sell a few more fiats and i'll let you know.
Not boaty on the super lows. It's the steering rack that's making it feel like a barge. I think it needs replacing, which is first on the list. Pretty common problem. Minor miss and faded paint on the boot, but they're all easy fixes. We'll see how I like it once it's in 6K car condition, haha.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »