David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: David's '92 Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo!

Post by Benckj »

Bugger, after all the work you put into it and have this happen. At least you have the experience of doing the work so should you wish to take on another project it won't be as difficult. Best of luck with insurance and getting a fair value as no doubt it will be totalled. Its one of the main reasons I went with Swann as we have an agreed valuation including mods.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Clive

Post by clawnz »

Shit!
Damn sorry David.
That hurts.
Will Text you.

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hey

Sorry about that
Maybe you can claim Insurance and get the wreck back and swap everything into another body. Might be a cheap way out to recover some coin if you love the cars. Jay tells me
there is a really mint SW20 that's at Zebras Holding yard. Was towed in last week and not been released for general parts picking yet.

You may find something else around if you look.

Anyway Glad your not hurt
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

Cool Mike. Send David PM as soon as you get the word it is being released. I am willing to go help him strip if need be.
And I am sure they will sell a complete body. I have asked about that before.
But if de registered due to insurance claim could be hard to put that back on the road.
Love to look at Davids to see if the chassis rail has been damaged. That will be the BIG question.
The rest of it can be fixed.

I have a bonnet gen3 front and skirt. Also I see I still have the front steel cross beam.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Really sorry about your car mate. At least you're still here and can look at another project. The drive train should be okay if you can keep the car
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

To tell you the truth I don't think it would be that big of a deal to repair yourself.
Bonnet, bumper, LH guard, head lamp and fog light plus a lower lip. Might need some lower suspension bits but parts are cheap and available for the earlier models. Might have to pull the LH frunk liner out a tad but this can be done with hammer and block of wood. Guess it all depends on the condition of the remaining car and what needs doing.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hi Clive

Jay will let me know as soon as its ready . Might even be able to buy it before its released. Jay is my Son who works there.

if the chassis rail is flicked it may be ok with a pull but you wont know till you run a tape over it. I have repaired worse than that smack of Davids.

As MR2s Don't have a crumple zone you may have to get someone with a pull rig or chassis machine to give it a pull. If David wants to go that way then send me a PM and I can put you on to someone who can probably help at a reasonable price.

The bonnet guard and front bumper are all just easy bolt on
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

Thanks Mike.
Cool having inside information.
And maybe someone who can sort Port A Power for chassis if need be.
Sounds good.
As it was a low speed impact you could be right.
And mainly parts to repair.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Damn David, was looking forward to seeing your MR2 back in action. It's a damn shame.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

Car has been officially deemed a write-off. Since the accident wasn't my fault, they've agreed to re evaluate the vehicle in a pre crash state and account for increased market value since it was insured then recover that cost over and above the agreed amount from the other insurer. And then I buy it back for whatever they'd scrap it for I guess, but I have no idea.

I'm not sure if I want to buy a mint gen 3/4/whatever at a subsidy and then part out and recoup cost from the parts on the wreck, or buy a gen 2/3 rolling body and subsidise a 2GR conversion or something. Maybe build up a 5S motor. One way I get behind the wheel in a few months, the other is potentially years.

It sucks either way. Focusing on getting my Toyota Chaser up to speed on maintenance and hope the 2JZ keeps my hunger for power at bay until I can work out what I want to do.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Could always buy it back then get it repaired yourself. I'm sure a few members would toss some parts your way to get you back on road sooner.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

My guess, and I may well be way off on this.
About $1,000 max to buy it as a wreck, maybe less.
It will be written off and dereged, So repair will have to be by certified repairer.
Cert from low side $250 upper end $650. Keeping in mind they will go over the whole car and there could be other work needed to comply.

Buy back. Wreck and put that money and the insurance into buying your Gen3/4.
Cheap upgrade.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

clawnz wrote:My guess, and I may well be way off on this.
It will be written off and dereged, So repair will have to be by certified repairer.
Cert from low side $250 upper end $650. Keeping in mind they will go over the whole car and there could be other work needed to comply.

Cheap upgrade.
Insurance is paying out agreed value from 2 years ago as $6000. They independently evaluated the wrecked vehicle at $450.00. So I'm obviously buying it back. Could sell enough parts off it to buy a proper late model SW20 almost outright.

I hate the fact my pride and joy has gone bye-bye, but at least I'll somewhat break even from the experience plus financial reparation. The independent evaluation for pre-accident condition was $3,500, so I did the right thing going with agreed value in this case!

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Take the $6k payout and put it towards importing a gen3.

They will auction the wreck and it will go for more than $450.

clawnz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by clawnz »

DravidDavid wrote:
clawnz wrote:My guess, and I may well be way off on this.

Cheap upgrade.
Insurance is paying out agreed value from 2 years ago as $6000. They independently evaluated the wrecked vehicle at $450.00. So I'm obviously buying it back. Could sell enough parts off it to buy a proper late model SW20 almost outright.

I hate the fact my pride and joy has gone bye-bye, but at least I'll somewhat break even from the experience plus financial reparation. The independent evaluation for pre-accident condition was $3,500, so I did the right thing going with agreed value in this case!

Sounds good.
Sorry about the pain of saying "good bye!"
But be positive. And move on.