In rust we trust (first mr2, and rustbucket!)

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
omnomnivore
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Stephanie

Re: In rust we trust (first mr2, and rustbucket!)

Post by omnomnivore »

Ash Kelly Barr wrote: Whoop whoop! Save it!
Glad to hear ya got the parts ya need
Maybe leave it rough, dirty rat rod of an AW daily :wink:

I'll haft to wait to let you know about the rear shocks unless you've sorted some already
Yea ratting it outs gonna be the plan haha!
Haven't sorted shocks yet, would be definitely keen!
Weather seems pretty descent today, so plans will be to install exhaust, replace fender (and check for rust) install new parts, get tyres and organise the brakes :)

Tomorrow will hopefully be the service, so advice on what oils etc to use would be brilliant! Engine's done 220,XXX km's (assuming its the original motor) also what's the safe comp for one of these motors? will to a compression test also just to make sure it's all ok

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

omnomnivore wrote:
Ash Kelly Barr wrote: Tomorrow will hopefully be the service, so advice on what oils etc to use would be brilliant! Engine's done 220,XXX km's (assuming its the original motor) also what's the safe comp for one of these motors? will to a compression test also just to make sure it's all ok
Mention to the person servicing it that the oil was black as previously mentioned here. It might need to be flushed and new oil added to really get all of it out. I've seen this with Corollas where black oil is removed and replaced with new oil, only to become black again after flush additive removes all the rest of the crap from inside the engine.

If it is a good motor, it's worth the extra time and effort/cost.

omnomnivore
Guest of the Club.

Post by omnomnivore »

I'll be doing the service myself, hence asking what oils I should use? sorry I should've pointed that out haha.

Also, it appears that the rad pipe has a leak? is the only way to refil it with water via the radiator?
the leak is located at the back of the car, so will need to jack it up and do a bit of investigating.

omnomnivore
Guest of the Club.

Post by omnomnivore »

on closer inspection I think it might be the water pump. only leaks when the vechicle is running and is right in the enginebay. that will be fun to fix LOL

Northseastorm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Christian

Post by Northseastorm »

Oh joy... might well be the pump. Just did one on my other car, it would always leak like crazy AFTER being driven.

If you haven't already, download the BGB from Charlie's website and have a look at the cooling system. It takes about 12l and is a lot more complex than your average car. These cars need to be airbled religiously to avoid overheating!

omnomnivore
Guest of the Club.

Post by omnomnivore »

Got some new rubber for the creature yesterday! while it was on the hoist I got to give the underbody a good inspection. Thankfully it's all fine (was able to confirm that the waterpump is the source of the leaking)

The center rear engine mount has suffered considerable rust, due to the leaking pump, so will need to get a replacement.. :P

omnomnivore
Guest of the Club.

Post by omnomnivore »

Did say the fender removal will make or break this build..
Anybody selling a cleanish rolling shell? This is not worth tackling

omnomnivore
Guest of the Club.

Post by omnomnivore »

better view of damage

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

That looks pretty damn rotten.

Have not seen many AW shells show up for sale. Your best shot at finding one is definitely here though. The Silver lining is, you're going to have to take the engine out anyway now and can do the pump at the same time. :P

omnomnivore
Guest of the Club.

Post by omnomnivore »

Yea that's true! Also get to work on that gearbox too lol :P

KWAFA
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Brandon

Post by KWAFA »

There are a few new listings on Tm as of yesterday with rolling shells for sale.

Can't post links from work.