First MR2 86 AW10 Project

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: David

First MR2 86 AW10 Project

Post by NzLHD »

Hi, Guys

Picked this guy up as an impulse buy off Trademe with the intent of doing him up. Really happy that I did :)

Car has been sitting in a shed for the past ten years and only has 130,000 km on it. It has had its rego exempt so that is nice.
At the moment just trying to fix all the major rust for it to be able to get a warrant. It has a 3A engine in it and it is auto :cry: so by no means is it fast, might have to fix that later 8) .

There are a few things that aren't too good on it. There is damage to the lower left side skirt and little rust spots in the paint, hopefully I can get to them before they rust all the way through.
Going to have a go this weekend at the paint and see what it is like after a buff and a wax but that might need to be re-sprayed in the future.

Engine has a ticking noise that seems to go away when the engine warms up, it sounds like it is coming from the top and only happens below ~3000 rpm. Any thoughts? Loose tappets?

Rust is not too much of an issue apart from the front bumper iron of which I am in the process of welding up, (anyone know it is structural or not?).

Photos: Front bumper is off too get at iron.
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG

NzLHD
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Re: First MR2 86 AW10 Project

Post by NzLHD »

Sorry title should say 86 not 96. Cannot seem to find edit button?

(Edited - Mod)

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

AW10 rare beastly they are , nice to see you getting it back on the road
As for the bumper fix it and don't worry about it to much ,if push comes to crunch its going to bend any way :-(
I'm going to do the same to one of mine soon.
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Saving anouther AW :D
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans