Scott's SW20, 3.0l v6 3vz-fe

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: David

Re: Scott's SW20, 3.0l v6 3vz-fe

Post by DravidDavid »

the government wrote:I know we are just joking, but i will not be drag racing anyone on a public road, cheers.
Neither, haha. I'd end up like that guy from Fast & Furious but more Kiwi and less famous.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone face to face though. :)

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Same. I'm not really a fan of drag racing, it happens too quickly and you don't get much satisfaction from it. Gimme a twisty road on my own any day 8) .
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

the government wrote:I know we are just joking, but i will not be drag racing anyone on a public road, cheers.
:wink:

Don't worry mate we don't even pass each other on a run.

It would be interesting to find out how the V6 goes doing zero to 100kmh though.

I've always wondered if they really are any better than a standard gen3 turbo which is just under 6 seconds.

Certainly a lot of bother to go to doing the swap if the gains are any less than fitting a CT20b and a different downpipe, which as I understand it will make for a decent improvement on a standard turbo.

A drag race isn't necessary. But putting the same person in the passenger seat with a stopwatch on a phone, from zero to 100kmh would be a go. No more dodgy than getting going from having stopped at the side of the road.

There's a straight on this run that's massive and perfect for such a test. Safe as. You can see anyone coming for at least 2 km's either way. From when their car is just a dot.

Maybe one day (once I get the red beastie back on its feet) we could organise a club day at Meremere...? It'd take a bit of sorting, commitment and money is the thing. Could be a bit of fun though. :idea:

But like Jason said the twisties are the thing. And in my experience if your tyres are good and your skills are too, then there's b.a. difference made by the straight line speed of your MR2 when we're all on a good twisty road. 8)
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

or you can turbo the v6 ...

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

If burnouts etc are banned from runs then surely drag racing must be the same too. Would be interesting to watch in a legal strip though :)

I think the power band must look a bit different for the v6, more torque and hp at the low end but falls off earlier than the 3gste?

Sweet V6 in there, nice paint and very clean ;)

Also loving the D-shaped steering wheel, good for taller/bigger drivers :D

Kippeth
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Stefan

Post by Kippeth »

Swampy wrote: Also loving the D-shaped steering wheel, good for taller/bigger drivers :D
hah, i know theyre not road legal but you should see DTM Steering wheels, they make F1 steering wheels look unwieldy.
http://puu.sh/i27xD.png
http://puu.sh/i27zK.png
i wonder at what point do you stop calling it a wheel?

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

You don't, that's the point. If it rotates and it steers the vehicle, it's a steering wheel.

But yeah, that's some serious weight reduction right there.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Kippeth wrote:
Swampy wrote: Also loving the D-shaped steering wheel, good for taller/bigger drivers :D
hah, i know theyre not road legal but you should see DTM Steering wheels, they make F1 steering wheels look unwieldy.
http://puu.sh/i27xD.png
http://puu.sh/i27zK.png
i wonder at what point do you stop calling it a wheel?
Ugh.

D-shaped wheels aren't street legal? Why?!

Kippeth
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Stefan

Post by Kippeth »

Swampy wrote:
Ugh.

D-shaped wheels aren't street legal? Why?!
Nah flat bottom wheels are fine. The wheels I posted pics of would not be legal

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

A chance to put your money where your mouths are . Winter Drag wars start on Jun14 2015. So if you want to see whose quicker go and throw your 2 down the strip-Heaps of Fun

The 2015 season of Winter Drag Wars kicks off.

Racers are split into two Dial Your Own classes at the conclusion of practice / qualifying. One class for Cars and the other for Motorbikes. Knock out racing until a winner is found in each class.

Grudge racing will run throughout the day for all racers knocked out of racing.

Just like Night Speed Drag Wars; these race meetings are for street legal only – just run what ya brung. All vehicles must have WOF and REGO to enter in to racing. You also need a helmet and a minimum Restricted License for a car driver and if you’re biker, you can race on a Learner as long as your bike is on the LAMS approved bike list. Ensure your battery is securely fastened/tied down and if you have a rotary vehicle that you have a scatter blanket / shield. Lastly, you can run D.O.T approved street legal drag tyres only but any other race slick is strictly prohibited.

Competition vehicles can run Exhibition by only by arrangement with the office beforehand

Date
Sunday 14th June 2015

Gates Open
10am

Racing Starts
11am

Cost
Gate Entry $15 - Children 12 and under FREE Race Entry $30

Venue

Meremere Dragway (Drag Way Meremere)

Drag Way
Meremere