My SW20 - Dandism-life

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Re: My SW20 - Dandism-life

Post by Swampy »

A very unsexy update.

Saving for wheels will come later,

Since the last update I've:
- Failed my restricted, rebooked in another area because my station has a gigantic queue (wish I could resit every 1 or 2 weeks rather than per month!!)
- Noticed a bit of "crunching" in reverse, common for my gearbox not want to go into reverse, but there is (rarely) a more pronounced sound
- Done a bit more learning, youtube vids, internet, BGB
- Taken out my middle sunglasses box which is quite restrictive in terms of space
- Taken off one mudflap which only had one bolt holding it in (looked wonky)
- Worked on my driving... two footed braking and rev matching is still some time away, but slowly getting used to putting in neutral rather than staying halfway on clutch.
- Filled a full tank and think I will get around 360kms from 41(or so) litres.. won't be doing that again, until I go on a club run!! $$$
- Taken advantage of Supercheaps and Repcos sales:
IMG_1074[1].JPG
IMG_1074[1].JPG (158.49 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
Here's a pic I edited.
MR2010815b.JPG
I've got some pretty budget tools from Supercheap and Repco, one day I will buy from the likes of mytools.co.nz and tradezone and get something a bit more quality.. (even though idk what quality looks/feels like). However my jack is rated at 1800kg and stands at 3000kg, so I think that is pretty safe.

Where to from here?

- Register... 3 months rego is not cool
- Get that restricted
- Club membership
- Continue acquiring stuff for a service (wheel chocks, safety goggles, 3/8" wrench set as I have a 1/4", Toyota oil filter, trans/diff/brake fluid and other fluids, will google/check here for best ones to use)
- Participate in a spanner day
- More stuff to do after in order -- fix door bolt problem, fix noise from wheel/diff, tune up spark plugs distributor leads etc, sort out paint with Mr Shiny, JDM tint (I think I buggered my current tint on the rear quarter side windows when removing ugly stickers), new air filter (want to do something custom with that), upgrade wheels, new head unit (black, and 90s retro!), a few stickers, new exhaust, upgrade to EBC brake pads?, gas strut for the boot, new seats, deep dish momo/sparco etc. steering wheel, dildo gear knob for the lols and because I've just realised aluminium needs polishing!, new mats (keep my one pristine dandism life mat in good condition), and some kind of custom fab cupholders... and sort out all the scratches etc on my paint.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

I've made it my mission to address a leak in the drivers footwell. The A/C Unit in the frunk in front of where the passenger sits is also a problem for some I've read, but in my car only the drivers footwell gets wet. My window seals, while worn and old, aren't too bad. With the help of others the problem has been pinpointed down to the drains behind the wheel arches, and possibly the plastic under tray not holding water very well. (cheers for all the advice guys!)

Earlier on in the week I removed some of the gunk from the bottom wheel well, but this will have to be attempted again when I can correctly take off the wheel so I can really get under that thing. Today, I picked up a 3/8" socket set, spent some of the night removing my wipers and cowl after finally figuring out how to use a socket wrench.

And with the help of my neighbour who also loves cars, extracted all this from my cowl:
Past owner loved parking under trees
Past owner loved parking under trees
IMG_1202_800x600.JPG (178.79 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
He said my steering wheel boot which is like a bushing has completely gone and that is where the water is coming from. Will research if they're the type that requires column to be removed and then it can be fitted or if it can be fitted easily. Hmm. Won't know til that, and the bottom gunk/drain pipes etc are inspected and fixed.. and getting under and checking the under tray.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Swampy wrote:He said my steering wheel boot which is like a bushing has completely gone and that is where the water is coming from. Will research if they're the type that requires column to be removed and then it can be fitted or if it can be fitted easily. Hmm. Won't know til that, and the bottom gunk/drain pipes etc are inspected and fixed.. and getting under and checking the under tray.
Interesting, my steering wheel boot is non-existant and I don't have any leaks from this area, I know because my car used to live outside all the time.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

The steering boot can't leak water unless your frunk is used as a swimming pool.

Best way to check where the leak might be is to get into the car and have someone spray lots of water over it constantly. Then you can see where the drips are or where the carpet starts to get wet.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Good point, could be a windscreen leak then.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

GDII wrote:The steering boot can't leak water unless your frunk is used as a swimming pool.

Best way to check where the leak might be is to get into the car and have someone spray lots of water over it constantly. Then you can see where the drips are or where the carpet starts to get wet.
I used this method on my mates BA Falcon. The rear seat was getting wet on the left side but couldn't figure out where the water was coming from. It only happens when the car was parked facing downhill on his driveway.
Turns out it was the rubber boot on the RIGHT side of the car where the wiring for the boot lid came out. When parking downhill the water would pool in the base of the window and boot lid and go through the rubber boot, travel across the parcel tray and into the seat base.
To remedy the issue I cleaned up the body around the rubber boot and put down some black window silicone then bedded the rubber boot into it. No more leaks.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

My water issues persist, I've found that if I avoid driving round in rain then I don't get any water in the drivers footwell. Still unsure of where it is coming from, but I've ordered some gummi pflege stift (BMW stuff?) which should freshen up my rubber seals round the doors. I was unable to find a supplier that would ship Shitsu grease (Honda stuff, recommended for the leaky t-tops) to NZ. I've also got some plastic tools en route that will help me play round with my interior trim safely... and I've got some new Sparco frameless wipers from Redline Performance. No more SCA squeaking.

Cheers GDII, I'll definitely pick up some nice black silicone! :)

I've changed my oil today. Seriously it's a new WR for longest oil change. :D
IMG_1336_768x768.JPG
IMG_1336_768x768.JPG (185.39 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
I had difficulty finding my filter because BGB doesn't say where it is and it is quite hard to find info regarding this online. I ended up taking off my rear right tyre and playing round with plastic covers (I hate plastic) thinking that maybe it may be in the same place as the gen 3 cars. I was also surprised at how *easily* this wheel came off. I tightened it back up after sure to use that kriss-kross way of doing things, albeit with the budget tyre changing tool.
IMG_1341_768x768.JPG
IMG_1341_768x768.JPG (105.92 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
However after looking back in my messages I noted Jason said they're located on the top in gen 2s. I did start looking at the top and found it! It was black and camouflaged! For anyone reading who hasn't attempted an oil change on a gen 2 before, it's right next to the dipstick.
IMG_1344_768x768.JPG
IMG_1344_768x768.JPG (95.25 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
I then decided since I had located it it would be a bad idea to drain the oil as it wouldn't budge. I tried everything and almost gave up. Walked to Repco and bought a $55 :( proper wrench. They are very good though and I prefer shopping with them rather than my local Supercheap.

It worked sweet, checked everything after filling and appeared to be no leaks. I took it for a blat/Italian tune up to the local dairy and was impressed at how smoothly it went. Tested it from around 1000-5000 rpms. It just accelerated smoother and I could feel the fluidity! Lol. I'm really happy with how it went. It drives awesomely. Fingers crossed it passes the final test, no oil leaking. :mrgreen:
IMG_1347_768x768.JPG
IMG_1347_768x768.JPG (127.02 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
~ 4 Runs ~

lazy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Anshuman

Post by lazy »

Swampy wrote:Seriously it's a new WR for longest oil change.
For my first coolant change, I ended up calling in sick at work on Monday because I didn't finish on Sunday :roll: And it wasn't even the complex cooling system of the MR2.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

lazy wrote:For my first coolant change, I ended up calling in sick at work on Monday because I didn't finish on Sunday :roll: And it wasn't even the complex cooling system of the MR2.
Mine will probably take the better half of a week. :mrgreen:
~ 4 Runs ~

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Hey guys,

Just wondering if I should prioritise changing my cambelt. It was last changed in 2003, at 151kms. I'm about a full tank of gas and a bit from reaching 200ks :)
BGB says change it at 96ks or 96 months (8 years) but would putting it off for up to 3,000 more kms be safe?
~ 4 Runs ~

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I really wouldn't worry about the cam belt at this stage. Could always lossen top cover and have a peek at belt to look for cracks, etc. My bet is that it will look as good as new and still have 50k to run.

Coolant and other fluids are far more important. Motor oil, tans oil, brake & clutch fluid should all be replaced with some decent modern fluids. Do some research on what is best for your engine/drive train as we all have our favourites. I tend to go FULL synthetic with everything as the price makes it very economic to use.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by Logan »

50k kms on a cambelt is nothing to worry about. And your engine is non-interference so even if it did break you can simply fit a new one and it will run again (no internal damage unlike other engines).

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Cheers guys, I'll get it changed at around 240-246ks then :D
~ 4 Runs ~

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

What him says is right but you may want to check your Timpat as well. Often they are worn out but lucky you can get to them without removing too much stuff.
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Benckj