My SW20 - Dandism-life

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Re: My SW20 - Dandism-life

Post by Swampy »

Woah haven’t updated here recently, partly because this is the mr2 forum and I am busy with Subarus and an AE101. I won’t bore you all with my new daily doer-upper BH Legacy Lancaster Outback lol but I will spam you all with 4AFE stuff until I’m back in an SW.

It’s been vinyl wrapped in nardo grey (long story), 2k black trims, badges, grille, wheels etc. bought for $850, questionable timing belt history, leaks, 165kms, but full of dings and just grubby interior. I used a big green machine, full detail outside too polish and clear headlights, tails polished, to name a few.

Timing belt water pump done with genuine aisin and gates parts, rear brake pad actually wore through and I had to order a new calliper from canterbury car parts. Rocker cover gaskets and spark plugs done

being an ej25 I had to disconnect engine mounts and lift it up a bit to get clearance.

I have a few Koken tools now, no pics but they are 1000% worth it and the slimline ratchet heads and low profile sockets will save you time.

I now live in Gisborne 1000km from civilisation so going to a wreckers is not that straightforward.

I actually used said Subaru to tow my mr2 and Corolla from Taupo to Gisborne. It did it with 0 problems other than going uphill very slowly and use a lot of petrol.

It actually got stolen so I replaced ignition with a push-start as it was cheaper and easier than sourcing ignition and barrels and the key. I’m battling with wiring in my door locks but once I’ve done with that and sorted a massive exhaust leak it should be wof reg and ready for sale.

ImageEnough Subaru !
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

End of 2021 I refurbished my Prelude wheels. Image

I’m happy with them, but they are 14x5.5/6.5 or something real small, shod in boto genysys tyres which absolutely suck, and I have 2x re001s and 2x s001s on the mr2… just need some 17s.

I attempted a respray in my old shed, but dust made it a challenge. As did trying to stay at a campground :evil: in Taupo and do it fast in a not so optimal facility. More in that later

I removed my steering wheel for an AliExpress momo copy. I love the momo but it’s $380 and advice I got from the old school forum was that it’s a risk, some are good, some aren’t, just get a good boss kit.

I actually have the higher spec ae101 wheel. Part of the attraction in owning an AE is that I can have facelift/higher spec parts without getting in to debt. I just don’t have the high spec 20v 4AGE or the LSD trans :evil:

I decided to borrow the boss kit from my MR2, off came the steering wheel

Legit Momo? Nice!

Boss kit

OEM wheel had this ring. When the horn is pressed, the circuit finds ground through a series of rings and springs. So I had to keep this ring, just bodged up a “shim” to keep it in place, bent a terminal on it to make it work and connected the ground wire horn button to the body of the boss kit.

And by shim I mean roll of masking tape, that will get replaced with nylon washers

It feels pretty solid, shouldn’t be a new face ornament etc

The work begins on my respray. Curiously I couldn’t find a paint code, it was a dulux electric blue. But the paint supplier I was using at the time wasn’t good, and said he’d make it up based on photos. I got sent KA4. It’s okay though, I kinda like it.

I got to work on my rear bumper

Sanded the body filler and sanded out any damage. I use bodyian paint from autocolourbank. The past guy even sent me two different shades of high build, which is a recipe for disaster with a colour that doesn’t hide well.

~ 4 Runs ~

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

A quick diversion from the bodywork; I got a knock off HKS ground kit from aliex. Partly because I love HKS parts, and partly because my WRX has bad grounds that I thought were making it hard to start. It’s most likely because the key is worn bad.

Oh yeah I also did my timing belt and water pump with this car with gates parts. I would have done oem, but at the time my partner was pressuring me to get rid of a few cars.. good news
Is I won’t be selling this.

The wire gauge isn’t too thin

There’s two fitted that you can see, and one above the transmission. There’s a bracket just behind the pod filter where they are bolted, this bracket is then bolted to the grounding point. The genuine item is quite overpriced for what it is, a pretty set of ground wires. Image

I then disassembled my genuine pod filter, to give it a good clean.

Solid construction, would recommend

An impressive bellmouth

After some compressed air and some soapy water back in she goes.

Apart from being JDM, it also is an unoiled filter which is MAF sensor safe, should I need it for another car.

Also was getting loud squeaking from my clutch, found the clutch slave was bone dry where grease should be under the boot. Removed it, packed it with some Castrol red stuff, and now
It doesn’t sound like a creaky thing.
~ 4 Runs ~

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Good old dress up grounding kits. Nothing but great marketing from the JDM manufactures.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Recently I swapped my SARD (that i thought was a Border) front bumper for James Zemah’s Border bumper. It was a good deal and he plans on replicating a full sard body kit, whilst my SW sits sadly parked up.

Unfortunately my SW is a longer term project, I do a lot more on my AE101 so I’ll make a new thread for it. I still want to be a part of the club, but I now love the 4A engine and Corollas. It is going to get a respray, I’ll be trying to get more power out of it, there will be a body kit coil overs and some nice wheels and tyres.
~ 4 Runs ~

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Great to see your still making progress on all the projects. I’m more into my Audi TT these days as the MR2 rarely gets driven.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Benckj wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:34 am
Great to see your still making progress on all the projects. I’m more into my Audi TT these days as the MR2 rarely gets driven.
Truth be told, my SW needs a once over on the chassis alignment machine, or a re-shell. Like yourself I enjoy the posts by the likes of Mo/Phil/Charlie/Mike/Jason/Olaf and I do want to stay involved with the club and SW’s, be that directly or indirectly. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
~ 4 Runs ~