Tubbys SW V2.0

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Shane

Re: Tubbys SW V2.0

Post by mr2 Tubby »

mickeyduck wrote:Taupo might be the best bet then... pretty safe track. Just a bit of extra expense there and back esp if u stay some place overnight.

But I do know a hellishing fun back road there and back... :twisted:
Yeah Taupo's my favorite, especially track 2, it's like a go kart track :D

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Ross

Post by chief1eye »

Once again. Great post. Really helps us who are looking at the ultimate build still staying with the original engine concept (sort of), Although totally modified.

One question of interest was, right at the being you list the rods as standard. What type of rods are they eg 3SGTE GEN2 or 5SFE? and why not forged? Cheers

Spykerwolf
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Will

Post by Spykerwolf »

Amazing build, really like the wheels :) :P :P
Current: None
Past: '92 NA Hardtop manual

mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.

Post by mr2 Tubby »

chief1eye wrote:Once again. Great post. Really helps us who are looking at the ultimate build still staying with the original engine concept (sort of), Although totally modified.

One question of interest was, right at the being you list the rods as standard. What type of rods are they eg 3SGTE GEN2 or 5SFE? and why not forged? Cheers
There gen3 rods, purely because I had a good set laying around. There pretty much the same as gen2 ones. The standard 3sgte rods gen2 & 3 (not gen4) have been known to handle over 600hp with arp hardware, so that was the ticket. I didn't feel the need to change them for my goals. Only benefit would have been the weight and there wan't much in it. Thanks.

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by chief1eye »

Hi Shane. See if you can come to the Taupo Playday on the 31 July, be great to see you car in the flesh and on the track. I'll be there with my 1991 GTS MR2. Will have the new TD05HR 16g 9.0T Evo4 turbo with meth injection so will be good to see how it runs on the track in comparison.

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by chief1eye »

Did you build this engine yourself or did you get an engine builder to do it. If so who was it? Would you be able to give a budget estimate for your build. EG $15000 to $20000? I really like what your've done. Cheers Love to see the car in the flesh.

mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.

Post by mr2 Tubby »

chief1eye wrote:Did you build this engine yourself or did you get an engine builder to do it. If so who was it? Would you be able to give a budget estimate for your build. EG $15000 to $20000? I really like what your've done. Cheers Love to see the car in the flesh.
Sorry for the late reply, I built it but the machining work was done by hytech engines, I would highly recommend them. I never add up receipts it's scary, but I would say you wouldn't get much change out of 15k, that's just the engine/tuning though.

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by chief1eye »

Thanks for the reply that's really helpful.
I've been mucking around fitting up second engines but keep breaking them so I'm pushing the button on a proper rebuild. I'm going to use P.F. Automotive who are local here in Tauranga.

He is the quick build summary; They will start this Monday

Forged Piston Set
Steel Billet Conrod Set
276/270 Billet Camshaft set
85Lb Valve Springs
New Oil Pump
New S/S Siamese Exhaust Manifold & adaptor to suit Twin Scroll TD05 Turbo (EVO 8 )
Gaskets and Seals etc to build engine
Modify Clutch Lines to clear Exhaust
Port and Polish Cylinder Head
Grind Valves and Set clearances.
Dial cams & modify Cambelt Tensioner
Bore and Hone cylinders
New Bearings Main & Conrod
New Water Pump
Change Megasquirt to a LInk ECU. ( better control for critical tuning)
Gonna still be running Methanol/Water Injection

My task for the weekend is to tell the wife!!!!! :lol:

mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.

Post by mr2 Tubby »

chief1eye wrote:Thanks for the reply that's really helpful.
I've been mucking around fitting up second engines but keep breaking them so I'm pushing the button on a proper rebuild. I'm going to use P.F. Automotive who are local here in Tauranga.

He is the quick build summary; They will start this Monday

Forged Piston Set
Steel Billet Conrod Set
276/270 Billet Camshaft set
85Lb Valve Springs
New Oil Pump
New S/S Siamese Exhaust Manifold & adaptor to suit Twin Scroll TD05 Turbo (EVO 8 )
Gaskets and Seals etc to build engine
Modify Clutch Lines to clear Exhaust
Port and Polish Cylinder Head
Grind Valves and Set clearances.
Dial cams & modify Cambelt Tensioner
Bore and Hone cylinders
New Bearings Main & Conrod
New Water Pump
Change Megasquirt to a LInk ECU. ( better control for critical tuning)
Gonna still be running Methanol/Water Injection

My task for the weekend is to tell the wife!!!!! :lol:
That looks like a great build. Somewhat overkill for a TD05 but it would future proof it for a bigger turbo later. Try and get a high volume oil pump so you can increase the revs.
If you were planning to stick with the TD05 i'd pull a few things off that list too keep it more affordable. If you were planning on upgrading the turbo later i'd suggest building a 5sgte as the 3s blocks are known to crack.
Just a couple of pieces of advice, don't skimp on tuning, it is the most important part. Also do your research on tuners, some of them are not as great as they'd lead you to believe.
And i'd suggest getting the engine balanced. Especially the rotating assembly, often clutches aren't too well balanced from factory. Are you planning to race it? And what clutch are you planning on running?

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by chief1eye »

Thanks for the information.

Initially I'm going with the TD05 Twin Scroll from and EVO 8 as I'm keen to make it track friendly with good low down response. Like you say. It will be set up bolt on a large turbo if I want too. At this stage not going with the 5 SFE block but keen to know more about Charlie machine as that looks like it is using a 3 SGTE block. I'm not familiar with the resin treatment that is described in his build blog. Does that give structural improvements? Engine will be balanced and tuning will be by Dynotech in Tauranga who prepare a lot of high performance race cars, including my brother in law John Deveth's Prototype Super Tourer which he races in the NZ endurance series and was the series winner last year. Fuel system already modified and has 4 puk racing clutch as well as lightened flywheel etc, etc. Looking forward to Taupo and seeing Charlie's beast in action.
Last edited by chief1eye on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.

Post by mr2 Tubby »

Sounds good. You'd be surprised how responsive even the TD06 is, I don't even notice it as the spool up time I've lost, I've gained in extra revs. But if your into really tight tracks the TD05 sounds good. Resin filling just adds strength to the block, much the same as going to the 5sfe block. However, I can't comment on how charlies cars block has been resin filled. But usually if you resin fill, you loose coolant jacket area, which isn't so good for road racing but OK for drag.