CloudMonkies G-LTD

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
CloudMonkey
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Tony

CloudMonkies G-LTD

Post by CloudMonkey »

It all started with a TradeMe Add. Red hard top manual G-LTD MR2 with 84,000kms.... non running. The pictures showed a very good interior, deacent exterior... seemed too good to be true...

The add had been up for less than 24 hours and I was standing next to it having a good look over it. Best decision made, took an older friend of mine who is into cars.

The car appeared to be genuine Kms. very low interior wear, underside was very clean, still showing factory marking from first wheel alignment.

The owner was asking $3000 and was firm at that price.... then my friend (who was close to his age) started chatting to him.

2 Hours later I brought up price and managed to bring him down to $2700, I was stuck at $2600 and didn't really want to go over that. I said give me 5-10 min and I'll discuss with my friend.

We walked back down the driveway and my friend said "BUY IT!" "If you don't I am" with a big grin on his face. Enough said, I brought it.

Went back to the owner, told him yes and I was the owner of a low Kms MR2.... that was not running.

The next day I organized for a tow truck and got the car back to my friends house.
MR2 Delivery Day.jpg
MR2 Delivery Day.jpg (160.98 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
It was turning over and occasionally coughing. appears spark ect was working but no fuel.

Over the next 2 days worked on dropping the fuel tank and getting the pump replaced.
MR2 fuel Pump 1.jpg
MR2 fuel Pump 1.jpg (217.07 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
MR2 Fuel Pump 2.jpg
MR2 Fuel Pump 2.jpg (171.07 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
HAZAR!! running.... but not charging. oh well.
MR2 First Start.jpg
MR2 First Start.jpg (138.22 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Got it up to work and the mechanics behind work did the WOF. Nothing wrong, passed with flying colors. Even the 18 Year old Tyres got through (they didnt last long, changed the next day).

Saturday morning: Worked till 12. Toyota wrecker closes at 1pm. mad rush down the North Shore to get a replacement alternator. later model caldina one.
Saturday evening: 5pm alternator in and working. can drive home.
MR2 Home Finally.jpg
MR2 Home Finally.jpg (127.47 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
I decided on detailing the factory wheels, painted between the spokes black, IMO it looks like it should have been done factory
MR2 Wheels Detailed.jpg
MR2 Wheels Detailed.jpg (189.23 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
After 6 months of driving and being very happy a deal on some wheels and tyres came up I couldnt pass up.
18x8 30p 215/35R18 front 19x9.5 40p 265/30R19 rears
MR2 New Rims 1.jpg
MR2 New Rims 1.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
MR2 New Rims 2.jpg
MR2 New Rims 2.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
All in so far
$4500
Included in this are:
Car
Tow truck
WOF
Reg
All 3 sets of tyres and the big rims (did about 3-4000kms on the first 2 sets before selling for more than they cost me)
Sony MP3 Head Unit
Fusion 8" Slim Sub
Alternator
Fuel Pump
Various belts

More to come :D

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Re: CloudMonkies G-LTD

Post by JasonFriday13 »

I remember seeing that ad on trademe a while ago, I was eyeing it up as my new shell to transplant my parts into. That was an absolute bargain you got, even at $3000. Most of our cars are 100,000kms+.

But I have to disagree with you about those rims, it looks better with the 15's that were on it before. That's just my opinion, nothing more.

Do you have any plans for it, or just leaving it stock for now?
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

CloudMonkey
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by CloudMonkey »

Long term I want to 2gr it and at the same time I don't.
Being so original and unmolested I'm torn between clean "stock" or just go all out modding.

The wheels may not be to everyone's taste but the grip is amazing.

Oh one thing I forgot was I got a Nolathane camber kit for the front. When I first put the big wheels on I noticed it was scrubbing the outside of the front left. It had -0.6 on the front left and - 1.2 right. With the kit it's -1.2 both sides. The rears are both at - 1.3 to - 1.4.

I still have the product code and can assist anyone with instalation and setup if needed. The kit is about $100 and install with alignment will be about the same.

CloudMonkey
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by CloudMonkey »

Rear guards rolled. No rubbing now.