Myeyehurts' MR2 With Quad Throttles

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Neil

Myeyehurts' MR2 With Quad Throttles

Post by myeyehurts »

Hi all, just a quick introduction from me and my SW20. I bought it with all the mods already done, as follows;

3SGE Gen 3 engine
Link G4 Storm
Big valves & springs
Custom billet 264 cams
Adjustable cam gears
Shotpeened & lightened rods
ARP bolts
Toyota oversize pistons and rings
4AGE throttle bodies on custom manifold
Certed for engine work & re-shaped firewall (to allow curved velocity stacks), WOF & rego

Bought with a blown head gasket so it's in the shop with the subframe out and the head will hopefully be off at the engine builders' by tomorrow afternoon. After that, put it all back together with a good head gasket and new belts

Plans for the car

I'm building this as a fast road/track day car, maybe Targa in the next couple of years

1) Tuning time at E&H Motors in Pukekohe
2) Fit Rays Versus Valvole (bought second hand last week) 17x7.5 front and 17x8.5 rear
3) Remake the ITB velocity stacks (messy at the moment)
4) Strip the interior & install a 6-point cage
5) Adjustable suspension
6) Big brakes
IMAG1382.jpg
IMAG1383.jpg
IMAG1369.jpg
IMAG1366.jpg
IMAG1365.jpg

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Myeyehurts' MR2 With Quad Throttles

Post by Benckj »

Interesting as I saw this advertised on TM. Looks like a good project once you get the all bugs worked out. Not sure why the individual velocity stacks as that seems to be a step backwards. Welcome to the club and keep us posted on the results.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Benckj wrote:Interesting as I saw this advertised on TM. Looks like a good project once you get the all bugs worked out. Not sure why the individual velocity stacks as that seems to be a step backwards. Welcome to the club and keep us posted on the results.
Yeah, it was on Trademe for a while, had a few bites apparently but nobody wanted to touch it. Oil filler cap is full of gunk and the crankcase is pressurising and causing oil to p1ss from the dipstick, so that's fun. Hopefully it isn't completely cooked, will know by Monday or Tuesday hopefully!

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Yea it all comes down to the quality of the build. Not sure how much work will be required to ensure reliability. If I bought it I'd completely tear it down and re-build from scratch. Would be a good buy nonetheless as I think it was being sold for the cost of the Link.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

I agree, the cost of the link is at least $1600 so apart from the engine being borked it's a good deal.

Also, it's a Celica gen 3 engine because the coolant tree isn't the mr2 one.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Welcome to the forum.

A brave purchase, I hope you get it working reliably and kicking ass on the track :D

Are velocity stacks pretty much just ITB's with filters for each?

EDIT: I've just confused myself never mind. I was wondering what kind of air filter those are. I knew what the stacks were, just not what they were called. :roll:
Last edited by Swampy on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Swampy wrote:Are velocity stacks pretty much just ITB's with filters for each?
No. Look up what a velocity stack is. They just aren't used with ITB's, the MR2 gen 4 beams intake manifold has four velocity stacks on it with a single throttle body.

Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

What have you got planned in the brake department? What will you be doing to make them bigger?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Benckj wrote:Yea it all comes down to the quality of the build. Not sure how much work will be required to ensure reliability. If I bought it I'd completely tear it down and re-build from scratch. Would be a good buy nonetheless as I think it was being sold for the cost of the Link.
Fair point, though my own skills don't extend that far - i have a mechanic friend doing the work for me. Perhaps I will pull it all down and go for a full rebuild. I suppose at least that way I'll know exactly what's been done and will make troubleshooting much easier in future. What should I expect to pay for a full strip down, as far as labour goes? Thanks!

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

JasonFriday13 wrote:I agree, the cost of the link is at least $1600 so apart from the engine being borked it's a good deal.

Also, it's a Celica gen 3 engine because the coolant tree isn't the mr2 one.
Ah, this is information I've been hunting for - can you expand on that please? Thank you!

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

GDII wrote:What have you got planned in the brake department? What will you be doing to make them bigger?
Vented rotors and some EBC Yellows I think, I don't need to go over board to start with. Any recommendations?

GDII

Post by GDII »

You should already have vented rotors front and rear if they are stock.
Getting EBC yellows and good brake fluid will be a good start but the small 16V calipers will get brake fade after a short track session. They have plenty of stopping power already so not an issue.
To keep things easy going to the larger late model 22V calipers, larger stock rotors and a larger 15/16th master cylinder will help.
This is what I am doing myself to future proof the car.

You may already have 22V brakes that someone has put on but from the looks of the photos you don't. 16V comes stock on 89-late 91 and 22V is 92+.

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Rays Versus Valvole (Ferrari 348TB look-alikes) in 17 x 7.5 front and 17 x 8.5 rears. Will strip and repair/repaint these over the weekend, will paint them gunmetal again
IMAG1363.jpg

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

GDII wrote:You should already have vented rotors front and rear if they are stock.
Getting EBC yellows and good brake fluid will be a good start but the small 16V calipers will get brake fade after a short track session. They have plenty of stopping power already so not an issue.
To keep things easy going to the larger late model 22V calipers, larger stock rotors and a larger 15/16th master cylinder will help.
This is what I am doing myself to future proof the car.

You may already have 22V brakes that someone has put on but from the looks of the photos you don't. 16V comes stock on 89-late 91 and 22V is 92+.
I'll probably do aftermarket bigger rotors, i think.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Is it the photo or are the wider rears a larger diameter?