Myeyehurts' MR2 With Quad Throttles

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Neil

Re: Myeyehurts' MR2 With Quad Throttles

Post by myeyehurts »

JasonFriday13 wrote:
myeyehurts wrote:
JasonFriday13 wrote:I agree, the cost of the link is at least $1600 so apart from the engine being borked it's a good deal.

Also, it's a Celica gen 3 engine because the coolant tree isn't the mr2 one.
Ah, this is information I've been hunting for - can you expand on that please? Thank you!
The head and the block are the same, it's the bits bolted on the outside that are different between the cars. I have a Celica gen 3 turbo engine in my car, all I had to do was remove the Celica parts and put on MR2 parts (MR2 crank pulley, engine mount, alternator, coolant elbow).
myeyehurts wrote:I'll run a standard gearbox for now and once that goes ping i'll consider my options. Perhaps just a strengthened factory box.
If the standard box goes ping, then just upgrade to an E153 gearbox (from a turbo MR2). These take 200KW without breaking a sweat.
I knew I'd learn a lot by joining this forum! Thanks for your help!

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

IMAG1402.jpg
IMAG1404.jpg
IMAG1405.jpg

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

IMAG1411.jpg
IMAG1412.jpg
IMAG1413.jpg
IMAG1414.jpg
IMAG1415.jpg

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Can anyone tell me anything about this setup, purely based off the photos? I have some invoices from the previous owner for work done, however I can't personally verify anything!

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

All I can say is those cams aren't factory cams, there isn't much else we can tell just from looking at it.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

They notch out the material around the retainer to make clearance for the cam lobe.

Quite common when going to high lift cams as the lobes sticks out alot more
My boss's Subaru is having it done at the moment and a friend had it done in his Honda
And mine will get de-shrouding around those areas for the same reason.

Those are some pretty serious cams you have my friend :D
Mine are 270 and no where as curvy as those.
Will sound like a rotor at idle :wink:
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Ash Kelly Barr wrote:They notch out the material around the retainer to make clearance for the cam lobe.

My boss's Subaru is having it done at the moment and a friend had it done in his Honda

Ah cool, I knew it had cams but didn't realise they were so aggressive! I looked at some photos of factory 3sge cams and they have very shallow lobes. Will have to dig out the invoices to find out what angle they are. All I know is that they were done by Franklin Cams.

The engine will be back together and in the car late this week and then I can bring it home to start putting some track day bits on it. Next plan is to get the newly painted Valvoles in some rubber and put some better velocity stacks on the throttles.
IMAG1423.jpg
IMAG1424.jpg
IMAG1427.jpg

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

myeyehurts wrote:
Ash Kelly Barr wrote:They notch out the material around the retainer to make clearance for the cam lobe.

Ah cool, I knew it had cams but didn't realise they were so aggressive! I looked at some photos of factory 3sge cams and they have very shallow lobes. Will have to dig out the invoices to find out what angle they are. All I know is that they were done by Franklin Cams
Yeah, the fact it still has writing from the shop would indicate it's not been run.
I wouldn't go pulling it apart as it probably all set ready to go :)
Toyota motors:

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Ash Kelly Barr wrote:
myeyehurts wrote:

Ah cool, I knew it had cams but didn't realise they were so aggressive! I looked at some photos of factory 3sge cams and they have very shallow lobes. Will have to dig out the invoices to find out what angle they are. All I know is that they were done by Franklin Cams
Yeah, the fact it still has writing from the shop would indicate it's not been run.
I wouldn't go pulling it apart as it probably all set ready to go :)
I've had the head off as it blew across two of the pistons & burnt out a couple of valves as well. Had the cams out, bucket & shims and all the valves for inspection/replacement. Which is why the lifters have writing on them, I do believe. Once it's all back together with a decent head gasket and good studs it will be going to E&H Motors for a full tune. I just wish I knew what the cam profile was - it doesn't seem to say on the invoice from Franklin Cams so i'll probably need to ring and see what they can find from the invoice # methinks. E&H will need all the dial-in info

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Oh, so there was damage to the head as well, that was a bummer. Good you got that sorted.
This is the way they are from the factory, my gen 3 turbo head is the same. That's why my NA cam with 9.8mm lift fits straight in with no mods.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

JasonFriday13 wrote:Oh, so there was damage to the head as well, that was a bummer. Good you got that sorted.
This is the way they are from the factory, my gen 3 turbo head is the same. That's why my NA cam with 9.8mm lift fits straight in with no mods.
Yeah the head was a little warped as well. Apparently the previous owner (bought the car already modded for $6k in early 2013) blew the gasket in 2014 and had a friend pull the head, replace the gasket and whack it all back together again without planing the head or replacing the head bolts. So of course it blew again a few days later, at which point he gave up on it. Hopefully this time it's all good!

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

JasonFriday13 wrote:Oh, so there was damage to the head as well, that was a bummer. Good you got that sorted.
Ah! Good Ol Toyota engineering ;)
Toyota motors:

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Quick update - the car came back from the workshop and drove well considering it's running a very wonky tune - air/fuel all over the place. This is how it looked when I got it back from the shop;
IMAG1497.jpg
And with the Valvoles fitted up;
IMAG1503.jpg
Bought some 323mm Supra twin-turbo rotors and caliper adapters;
IMAG1499.jpg
The old rotors came off with little fuss and the new ones bolted straight on - using a couple of wheel nuts to hold them on for the photo!
IMAG1517.jpg
IMAG1520.jpg
Started stripping out the interior - will get a 6+ point cage built in the next few weeks
IMAG1506.jpg
IMAG1509.jpg
The stereo wiring & oil pressure gauge wiring are both birds nests;
IMAG1535.jpg
IMAG1542.jpg
And that's where I'm currently at so far. I've got some turbo 2-pot calipers coming up from Te Awamutu, thanks to another MR2OCNZ member 'Ken & Barbie'. Once those arrive I'll do some research into good race pads and fit them all up this weekend with any luck.

Next step is to remove the dash board, get the cage made up & installed, buy a pair of MSNZ/FIA seats (the Mrs is starting to show an interest in 'The Money Pit" now, better put a seat in for her as well!) and harnesses etc, then some custom interior work to get gauges etc in the centre console, then tune the ECU.
Attachments
IMAG1537.jpg
IMAG1532.jpg
IMAG1530.jpg

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Nice work. When i see interiors stripped with ease it just makes me jealous :lol:

As far as race pads go have you considered EBC reds?
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/20A50531A1.aspx

One member posted that link and said combined with youshop buying from them was cheaper than anywhere else. Not sure if it still is but I thieved that link and stored it away. I'd recommend getting membership as it helps with research - heaps of stuff has been discussed years ago on here and the forum is a good 1st port of call for looking stuff up. :D
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

myeyehurts
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by myeyehurts »

Swampy wrote:Nice work. When i see interiors stripped with ease it just makes me jealous :lol:

As far as race pads go have you considered EBC reds?
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/20A50531A1.aspx

One member posted that link and said combined with youshop buying from them was cheaper than anywhere else. Not sure if it still is but I thieved that link and stored it away. I'd recommend getting membership as it helps with research - heaps of stuff has been discussed years ago on here and the forum is a good 1st port of call for looking stuff up. :D
Is that why I don't have a search function yet?